GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody figure out the the Jan 2019 download includes updated maps?

Assuming not, anybody have an ideas when maps will be updated?

·
Registered
440 Posts
In the first European update 2 weeks ago (same as first USA october 2018 update) the Honda service bulletin also mentioned the Maps would be updated and the Map update would be yearly and for the first 10 years of ownership for free. I have not checked this however yet as winter weather does not permit driving. So I would assume Honda would also have done this for the recent USA update.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I believe the maps on the new GPS are constantly updated, over the air.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmm... what makes you think that?
Marc

GENEVA MOTOR SHOW 2015 – HARMAN, the premium global audio, visual, infotainment and enterprise automation group (NYSE:HAR) plans to demo the first connected navigation solution based on the Navigation Data Standard that incrementally updates map data in the field at the Geneva International Motor Show. This over-the-air (OTA) incremental update capability is the first in the industry that ensures map data is always up-to-date

https://news.harman.com/releases/harmans-navigation-solution-featuring-ota-map-updates-offers-first-high-performance-connected-navigation-solution-based-on-navigation-data-standard-nds

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
Anybody figure out the the Jan 2019 download includes updated maps?

Assuming not, anybody have an ideas when maps will be updated?
I think the maps and the POI are updated. I did a test ride today with the update and seen a store/fuel station that was just built was on the map.

·
Registered
336 Posts
GENEVA MOTOR SHOW 2015 – HARMAN, the premium global audio, visual, infotainment and enterprise automation group (NYSE:HAR) plans to demo the first connected navigation solution based on the Navigation Data Standard that incrementally updates map data in the field at the Geneva International Motor Show. This over-the-air (OTA) incremental update capability is the first in the industry that ensures map data is always up-to-date

https://news.harman.com/releases/harmans-navigation-solution-featuring-ota-map-updates-offers-first-high-performance-connected-navigation-solution-based-on-navigation-data-standard-nds
You think that applies to our bikes? Really?

Marc

·
Registered
336 Posts
BTW, if you check the information included in the nav menu it looks like the map is the first quarter of 2018 if I'm reading the code right.

Marc

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't recall reading anything 'Honda' that suggests anything other than discrete updates.
Continuous would be a great thing to brag about -- but what happens if the bike is not on when a update is broadcast? Do they somehow keep rebroadcasting updates? What about a bike that is shut off in the middle of a broadcast? Or one that has the battery disconnected for service?
I guess I'm not ready to buy the argument that the updates are continuous on these bikes.

If it's continuous, why didn't Honda brag about it, instead of saying "10 years of updates"?

This has been posted before, from the update page:

Keeping your Gold Wing’s navigation system updated with the latest maps and directions helps you get the most out of one of your bike’s most useful features. This latest version, designed for 2018 and newer Gold Wings, offers the following improvements:

Add up to 99 waypoints per route
Increased XM source hold in low-signal areas
Improved iPhone X compatibility
We’ll walk you through the installation, step by step. It’s easy to do, but if you run into any difficulties you can always contact your Honda dealer. Ready to get started? Let’s go.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
This has been posted before, from the update page:

Keeping your Gold Wing’s navigation system updated with the latest maps and directions helps you get the most out of one of your bike’s most useful features. This latest version, designed for 2018 and newer Gold Wings, offers the following improvements:

Add up to 99 waypoints per route
Increased XM source hold in low-signal areas
Improved iPhone X compatibility
We’ll walk you through the installation, step by step. It’s easy to do, but if you run into any difficulties you can always contact your Honda dealer. Ready to get started? Let’s go.
Just goes to show that the update includes things other than what is mentioned...the new split screen that gives much better detail for the turns when in a route was never mentioned and its a very nice upgrade with the Navi

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just goes to show that the update includes things other than what is mentioned...the new split screen that gives much better detail for the turns when in a route was never mentioned and its a very nice upgrade with the Navi
I always did have 2 options for info to be displayed at turns or highway exits/ramps.

Has the detail improved for both options?

I've been wondering if they have changed which mode it defaults to.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I always did have 2 options for info to be displayed at turns or highway exits/ramps.

Same here, always had the two options.

:doorag:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts

What two options are you talking about. I'm pretty sure I played with all the features of the Navi but maybe I missed something

My Navi didn't have the spit screen for the turns when in a route before the update though....also now with the update, while in a route the road that you are on is at the left of the screen now instead of the center of the screen before the update, I guess to make room for the right side of the split screen to pop up when you come up to a turn

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guidance mode option.

Route List is default
Map Mode can be selected instead.

I may be remembering wrong, since I haven't played with this since a trip last summer, but I'm thinking that the view provided of upcoming turns/ramps/exits is different depending on which mode selected.
I don't know if North Up, Heading UP or 3D affects this. I always run with North Up on any GPS.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tesla cars do over-the-air updates on a regular basis. Grandson works there, and has all kinds of good info.

I have the original Wing software, not updated yet, HG.ACM.17.11.10.07.03.52.

I get the split screens when in a route and approaching a major guidance turn.
Page 59 of the Navi manual in pdf form shows several views, the countdown to approaching turn view, and the intersection view with lane guidance view.

Some have reported that the color schemes are much better during an active route with the current January update.

·
Registered
612 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts