GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use Garmin's Mapsourse and haven't heard, Garmin is phasing out MS in lieu of BaseCamp if you've not gotten involved in this issue you should. Go to https://forums.garmin.com/index.php scroll down to MAC BaseCamp or Windows BaseCamp and get involved, voice you opinion. Garmin is trying to make this work and needs to hear from as may motorcycle people and how they us their GPS to help shape the future of BaseCamp.

It's like voting if you don't get involved don't bitch later...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Isn't it for handhelds not street GPS?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't it for handhelds not street GPS?
Yes, as I understand it, BC was originally developed for handheld (hikers), but now they are making it their main mapping software. I think it's because they have a MAC and PC version of BaseCamp but Garmin doesn't have a MAC version of Mapsource. They are consolidating their efforts on one software line. You have an option to select an "Activity Profile".

Go to Garmin, download a copy of BC and try it out, then send your comments to Garmin.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
Does Basecamp load all the map data on your PC or does it require an internet connection to work like the Honda Trip Planner?

My big issue is that I need a map program that can function without the need for an internet connection. Several times I have pulled off the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, and booted up my laptop and built a route and then loaded it into my GPS. I don't want to have to rely on internet access to be able to do that.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does Basecamp load all the map data on your PC or does it require an internet connection to work like the Honda Trip Planner?

My big issue is that I need a map program that can function without the need for an internet connection. Several times I have pulled off the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, and booted up my laptop and built a route and then loaded it into my GPS. I don't want to have to rely on internet access to be able to do that.
BaseCamp, like Mapsource, loads all the map data on your PC so you don't need an Internet connection.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well after doing some reading on the Garmin forums it appears that Mapsourse has indeed seen its last update. Based on the responses that have been posted on the Garmin forum Basecamp appears cumbersome and not really user friendly. I will say that the Garmin tech types on the forum that are responsible for the development of Basecamp seem quite attentive to the criticisms and seem eager to make necessary improvements.

At this point I intend to at least try the latest Basecamp release but for the foreseeable future I plan to stick with Mapsourse. Even though it will not be supported by Garmin in the future.

Here is a link to Basecamp for Windows discussion area of the Garmin forums.

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Forum nonsense information as usual

If you use Garmin's Mapsourse and haven't heard, Garmin is phasing out MS in lieu of BaseCamp if you've not gotten involved in this issue you should. Go to https://forums.garmin.com/index.php scroll down to MAC BaseCamp or Windows BaseCamp and get involved, voice you opinion. Garmin is trying to make this work and needs to hear from as may motorcycle people and how they us their GPS to help shape the future of BaseCamp.

It's like voting if you don't get involved don't bitch later...

It is forums that are the fountain of misinformation :nojoke:. Read my post on the Zumo forum :thumbup:.
Base Camp is still a junk program that can't even support Waypoint categories/favorites :lol:.
If you have a StreetPilot, Nuvi, Zumo and some other units, Garmin recommends the end user to stay with Mapsource. I have both Mapsource and Base Camp (FREE) both on my PC. The only feature I like in Base Camp is the ability to check a route created in Mapsource using Base Camp's routing playback feature to check for errors. I would never send data to or receive data from any of the above mentioned devices.
To check a Mapsource route in Base Camp, you simply import it from the Mapsource file folder and turn on the playback feature. It is a large red pointed arrow I call my error detection bug (I run it at 100 for long routes:thumbup:). When done I just "Cut" the file from the program but never save it.
Again Garmin has not announced in writing anything about plans for Mapsource and even the Garmin forms are just rumor mills hosted by Garmin.

After opening the link below, scroll to the top to read the whole thread :idea::excited:
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=14450.msg109431;topicseen#new

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
GW, I got a different impression from reading the forums. Not from member posts but from the mods that work for Garmin. For instance the following is a quote from one of them.

"And I am sorry to disappoint, but yes, MapSource has not been worked on in quite a while, and there will be no new releases of that software."
https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=102469&postcount=6

I hope your right because MS is a much better platform than BC.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I am sorry machead but that is inaccurate. Roadtrip and BaseCamp are both available for the Mac and look very similar, though Basecamp has additional features not found in Roadtrip and is updated with greater frequency. I switched from mac Roadtrip to Mac Basecamp a couple of years ago and consider it to have been a good move.

As neither Basecamp of Mapsource provide an intuitive user interface (based upon my experience designing GUIs), both require a learning curve. In the end, Basecamp is, to me at least, an easier system to work with. If you are already using Roadtrip, you'll hardly notice any difference.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
GW, I got a different impression from reading the forums. Not from member posts but from the mods that work for Garmin. For instance the following is a quote from one of them.

"And I am sorry to disappoint, but yes, MapSource has not been worked on in quite a while, and there will be no new releases of that software."
https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=102469&postcount=6

I hope your right because MS is a much better platform than BC.
Garmin's forum moderators are a little bit lower on the totem pole than the techs. I had already read that post in your link and the support people laughed. Mapsource will live on.
Did you notice the #2 poster AKA "Imskier2 (Master of Zumology) writes he got Base Camp with his Z665 and loves it. Then after reading following posts he asks how he can get Mapsource FREE :lol:.
Like most forums your rank goes up based on the number of posts you make and not how much gray matter is between your ears (also known as post ho's :22yikes:). Most techs at Garmin don't even read the nonsense on the forums they host.
Those forums there are intended to have users help other but sometimes get misinformation posted even by moderators :shock:.
The power people at Garmin already know Base Camp is popular with hikers and the outdoor crowd.
They are not going to abandon Mapsource with a lesser program until it out performs Mapsource.
They know smart phones are their biggest threat to survival and are walking on egg shells :nojoke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts