GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I thought your post was for a new update...... You had me going there for a second.
That update was issued in November '03 when I installed it.

It must take longer for the internet to get to Canada :D

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
There are a LOT of changes with ver.6 Beta. I am not willing to be the first to try it. BUT, when they do release this with the bugs outof it, there will be lots & lots of changes. It looks like we will have to relearn how to use it with the new version.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I picked up MetroGuide USA v. 5 yesterday. Since I am in the learning curve now I may as well upgrade. I don't have much to loose that I can't easily fix.

FWIW: At least one Circuit City store had this product mispriced. The sign said $44. The register said $99. Guess which price I paid!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Installed the beta, only used a little so far, but no problems. It also states that you can always download the other version.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too braved the V6 Beta waters. Haven't downloaded it to the 2610 yet. Only have been playing with it on the computer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't see any difference in the 2610's operation. Everything looks the same. Only change has been on the computer MapSource version, and even that didn't change much.
Don

·
Registered
221 Posts
Map Source 6.0 Beta is just for the computer, it does not install on the GPS.
The biggest change is in the file format. It is changing from .mps to .gdb, which means that if you have any saved routes on your computer you will have to convert them one at a time. The only other thing I had to do was reselect some of the tool bars.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the clarification on this. I was wondering if something was amiss with my 2610.
As for the 2.95 beta, it seems to be working fine on the 2610 unit.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I am now running MapSource v. 6. Since I hadn't learned the original version, 4.13, I don't see any change. V. 6 seems to run OK.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way the 2610 software works one dosen't even need to use the computer software.
Only if your planning a trip and would like to put in waypoints and such.
Of course from what I have seen with my 2610 you can do the same thing with the unit.
Using the computer is a lot easier than using the smaller 2610 unit to plan your course.

What does everyone else do when they plan a raod trip?

Since it took so long to download the Maps I try to do everything on the 2610 unit itself.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Don,
I am a newbee with very limited experience. Trip planning with just my Legend is not the way to go. I have used the "Route Tool" and let MapSource connect the dots. If I need to edit the route it is easy to drag it. I prefer to "by-pass" major cities and this method works well.

You mentioned the time required for loading the maps. Loading routes is not the same thing. Different memories are used and the process is very quick. This does not effect the maps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I organize monthly tours, and MapSource has one shortcoming that makes me nuts - you can't add routable roads when the MapSource map is incorrect or is missing a new road. Delorme lets you add roads, but it has such a bad user interface it's extremely difficult to use.

Anyone know of a way to add a track to a route in MapSource?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good to see you here!

Rick,

good to see you've made it to the 1800 gold mine here. Look forward to seeing you on another ride again.

The only way to get around MapSource not knowing a road is to split the route into two parts. The first route ends where MapSource has the road ending, and the second route begins where the map picks up again.

Peter...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only way to get around MapSource not knowing a road is to split the route into two parts. The first route ends where MapSource has the road ending, and the second route begins where the map picks up again.

Yeah, I thought about that. But I use the turn-by-turn screen on my StreetPilot for the group tours because it not only shows the distance to the next turn, but also shows my the destination distance and arrival time. This is important because I very closely manage the ride so the group arrives at a specific time. The groups have become so large that it's common for places to bring in extra staff to handle our crowd, so I give them fairly precise arrival times.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Rick,
It should be possible to create waypoints and extend the route to include those. This may be what slovak is saying.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts