GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to things computer related so I thought I would ask for some help before jumping in over my head. I plan on purchasing a 10" netbook to take on travels and I would like to have Mapsource as one of my programs. If the netbook doesn't have a disc drive how do I get the Mapsource program loaded onto it? Will Garmin let me download directly off of the internet?
On a related note, for you folks that already have netbooks, which brand/model would you suggest?
Thanks for your help.
Jim

·
Registered
895 Posts
I can tell you how I did it and that may give you some ideas. In addition to the Netbook, I have a desktop computer and a wireless router. I put the DVD with the software in a drive on the desktop and then use Windows file sharing to share that drive. Then I run "Setup.exe" on the Netbook from the shared DVD and let the installation proceed as though the DVD were directly attached to the Netbook.

In my case the computer that has a DVD drive is a desktop, but it could just as well be any computer (a laptop for example) that has a DVD drive.

If you have the necessary hardware but are not familiar with file sharing, you might try a Google search on windows share dvd drive .

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mapsource is available as a download from Garmin.
Go to Garmins site, select support, the software, should be there.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have two ASUS 8" notebook computers for traveling. I added memory to both as well as solid state drives (you do not want mechanical drives with moving parts transported on a bike due to vibration damages). I loaded both net-books with Mapsource 2011.1 using an external CD ROM drive plugged into the USB port. I also loaded the program into my 10" HP net-book and two quad core processor PC's all using the same CD ROM disk. Garmin requires you to have an existing Garmin product (code key numbered) and you may load on as many Net-books or PC's you want.
I believe this can also be done on line without the CD ROM if you have the code key proving proof of purchase :shrug:however I am not 100% sure since I always purchased the CD ROM as a backup.
Be sure to only update the computer and not the GPS. Follow Garmin's instructions carefully. If in doubt call Garmin on their toll free line.
They will not allow you to load a Mapsource map on more than one Garmin device per map purchase.
Garmin has smartened up and their server knows all :bow::evil:.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts