GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Steve Aylor going down, and a long road to recovery ahead of him, I think it’s safe to say he’s not going to be able to head this up again. So the question is….Who? I’m 200 miles from Marble Falls and will do it unless there’s someone closer that would like to take the lead. I’ll be glad to help out either way. Whoever gets a chance to visit Steve please find out what, if anything, has been coordinated for next year. Dates should be March 09 – 11, 2007 since Market Day falls on the 10th and we’ve always had it on that weekend.

So if anyone is interested or wants to help out let me know. We’ve got a little under 6 months to go. I just don’t want to see this great event go away. Teresa and myself look forward to it every year.

·
Registered
280 Posts
While I am in Houton, please let me know if i can helpin any way.
This will be my first time at this event.

KCButch

Proud to be a Texan

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would like to nominate Brian ( BIG DAWG ) Hand to help.
:twisted:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
is there any chance of having the gathering a little later in the spring, so that the bluebonnets are in bloom

with it being as early as it has been in the past, they arent doing anything yet

from the photos i saw, its some kinda sight

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm open for suggestions either way on the dates. I know Steve did it around Market Day as an added attraction for the shoppers. I don't shop, I ride, so it really doesn't matter to me.

I think the wild flowers really take off around mid April, someone correct me if I'm wrong. We could change the dates to 20-22 April and that might work for the flowers. Comments?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
thanks for even considering it,

i would surely love to cruise through the blue countryside for a couple days

cycledude and i are running out of texas roads to explore

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Marbel Falls

I think we should check with Steve and see how he feels about the Marbel Falls gathering before we take over and start changing up dates and all. You know this gathering is all Steve has to live far. lol Just kidding Steve get well soon. NObody pay any attention to what Edward Sledge post he is on VERY HIGH doses of medication.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Houston here-I enjoed last year even though it rained-I will help just ask

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well, I'm with Brian (Hand, that is). I know that Brian Black is willing to step in and do what is necessary to keep the ball rolling in Marble Falls, and I'm willing to help out, too. Being on a scooter, and having ridden most of the roads around that area, it wouldn't hurt me to help out with registration and just hang around the parking lot, welcoming folks as they arrive and get them settled in. That was my job last year (not sure how well I did - never did get an evaluation from Annette), so here I am again. Just let me know who's driving this thing and when it meets.

Brian Black, hope to see you later today.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I know I missed Marble Falls this year and I really hated it. I just do not have enough vacation time for them all. I know I will get another job and then maybe I can combine the vacation times... :wink: :wink:

Seriously if it is moved to the last or middle of April I might get my wife to come with me and we can then head to the Grand Canyon from there. That would be nice. I will keep watching all of this and see how it progresses.

By the way if any of you Texans happen to speak to Annette or Steve be sure and tell them that 5ross is thinking about them.. and hoping things are improving...

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
The peak of the Wildflower bloom is usually the first or second weekend of April. I suspect the 20-22nd is going to be past the peak, and they will be starting to die out already. I have been doing a Wildflower event for about 7 years now, and I usually try to do it the weekend before or the weekend after Easter.

The majority of the good fields are north of Frederickburg. Hwy 16 north out of Llano is usually covered as is 2323 and 932 down around Enchanted Rock. Hwy 171 also has some good spots and the Park Road north of Marbel Falls is also good.

Last year we had the worst crop I have ever seen, due to lack of rain. I am hoping the coming year will be better.

I can tell you that Steve didn't do much planning for the event other than gather up some door prizes, and I really think those kind of rallies turn out the best anyway, as all the other stuff is just fluff. The location and timing of a rally are in my opinion, the most important things. You need two basic ingredients. Good roads, and good weather. A decent hotel helps too. My advice to anyone planning such an event, is try to keep it as simple as possible. Announce a time and place and secure the hotel, and just let the rest happen on it's own.

I would also advise against organized rides. Let folks pair up however they want and go ride on their own, and discourage folks from going out in groups larger than about 4-5 bikes.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I feel like that there may not need to be anyone organize it at all.

Imagine this. One person calls the hotel and talks to the management and gets a group rate for us all. We then post the time and date and location. Everyone makes their own reservation and just shows up. No one in particular even really needs to be responsible for the rally other than setting the date and location. From there, it just sort of happens.

I have actually been doing this with COG for the Wildflower ride every April. I used to act as "host" but in recent years, all I have done is get the hotel arrangements and announce the date and that is it.

And for door prizes, here is a suggestion. Have everyone who comes solicit a local dealer for a door prize and bring it with them, or mail it to the hotel if it is too big to carry on the bike. Then everyone who brought a door prize draws a number that is coded to a prize and that is what they take home.

If you don't want to fool with a door prize, then don't bother bringing one and you won't be included in the drawing. Everyone who brings a door prize, gets to take one home, and no one has to hassle with transporting them all to the rally and soliciting for them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Marble Falls

Fred and all, I would volunteer to handle the hotel arrangements. As for the rest I agree with Fred. Bring a door prize, or even better bring that something that you bought for your bike but never ended up using and create a small swap 'em pile. Nothing large or extravagant just bring that certain doo dad and maybe take a different one home.

If ya'll don't mind me taking care of the hotel once we agree on the date I'll get it set up.

Don Saenz
Sanger, TX

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds good, sounds like a win,win for all who attend. I missed this event this year with tornados here, there and eveywhere. I forgot to mention the fires. Later in the season, the better. Makes for good planning, please post the dates ASAP.

Ole Smokey

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Fred H. said:
I would suggest we let Brian set the date, as you will never ever ever be able to get folks to agree on a good date. Since Brian volunteered to help organize it, I think he should be in control of when and where it happens.
very true about the date

if you dont just set one, it will never be agreed upon

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I personally would not care if there were no door prizes. If that is the only reason someone would come, oh well I will quit there. I just go to be there and for the ride. The door prizes to me are not important. (besides I never win anything anyway :wink: :wink: )

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Everyone won at least one prize last year-I traded some Kury footpegs for Freds Video. It has been the BEST accesorry I have added. If you don't have it get it. It helped me change my airfilter, add electronics, gave me the confidence to add a trailer hitch and CB.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dates are March 30 - April 1. Maybe that'll catch a good crop of flowers.

I've also had folks ask about moving it to Kerville, closer to some different roads and stuff. Move it or stay in Marble Falls? I'd like to see Steve and Annette come out and I'm worried if we move it those extra miles might keep them away if he's able to travel. What do y'all think?

I love the idea of everyone bring a door prize and think that's the way we'll go this year. If those who donated in the past still wish to do so you can pm me and I'll give you my address.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
kerrville or marble falls

marble falls is great, but the hotels are limited and very $$$$$

kerrville is a much bigger town, and a wider variety of hotels,

i would pick kerrville for that reason

1 - 20 of 27 Posts