GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My March Spot Tracker: Monk - March

This thread is for the purpose of recording our rides during the month of March:

Mostly we like to run circles in the Ozarks on some of those great Arkansas twisty roads. In addition to that we hope to have a RTE (Ride to Eat) sometime before the end of this month, weather permitting. Our destination is Bandanna's BBQ in Lebanon, Missouri.

You probably noticed that I'm saying US!! That is referring to myself and @gwhobo. Of course anyone else is welcome to join us. Just be aware that this will be 450+ miles ride from Central Arkansas all on curvy two lane roads. That means it will take ALL day. :)

Looking forward to it. (y)

Hope you enjoy following along with the spot tracker, it would be even better if you want to join us!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If I could I would go ...

Hope others will join in on the fun!

Make it a great ride!

Donnie

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I could I would go ...

Hope others will join in on the fun!

Make it a great ride!

Donnie
We will do just that! Looks like we may have to do a little modification. The weather changes so fast this time of year.

Looking at the forecast this am I have some doubt about whether we will make the run to Lebanon. They have a Red Flag warning out for southern Missouri. While it would still be doable, I really don't like riding in those kind of conditions unless it is absolutely necessary. This time it is not. We can always give this another try in the coming days.

The plan today will be to ride up to the Mountain Home area, check the forecast for any changes. If it looks too bad, then highway 125 in southern Missouri will get out attention. That is not a bad backup plan! (y) :)

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like plan B, dang have to do 125. ??

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the Red Flag warning in Missouri we thought it would be better to postpone the trip to Lebanon, Missouri until a later date. The backup plan included going over to check out highway 125 in southern Missouri. Check out or route below to see how we did that.

For me, that route represents a 447 mile day. That is the farthest I've ridden on curvy roads in one day for a very long time. My body is really not happy right now. Spending some time in our Jacuzzi bathtub helped with that. Need to rest up some before I try that again.

After doing highway 125 in both directions we realized we were hungry. That road worked up a heck of an appetite. Kim's BBQ was just what we needed to handle that.

On the way home we made the usual stop at the Rotary Ann Overlook on highway 7 for a brief rest and bathroom break before doing the last leg of the trip home.

As you can see, the sun is shinning, but the wind is blowing. Not as bad here as in Missouri but non the less it was beginning to kick up some.

This morning when we pulled out the temp was in the low 40s. It was mostly in the low 60s all day hitting 72 after we got back into the River Valley.

We had another fine day in the Ozarks!(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I love it!

Looks like a great time.

It hurts so good

Donnie

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love it!

Looks like a great time.

It hurts so good

Donnie
I apologize Donnie, we were at your favorite BBQ place and I did not get a pic of your favorite horsey. :ROFLMAO: :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The weather was just to good to pass up another opportunity. I pulled out just before 10:00 riding toward Clinton. Larry was not going to join me until early afternoon. I fueled the bike and headed west on highway 16. Here is the route for the day. A total of 321 miles!!

On the way across 16 I decided to try Hillbilly Slim's for lunch. It was my first stop there for food, and I was not disappointed.

I ordered their basic cheeseburger with a side of fries. That burger had the best flavor of any that I've purchased to date in the Ozarks! I will be doing that again!

Now it is time for the WARNING! Look at the two pics below and you will understand.

The reason for the warning? You cannot get to this place without riding some very curvy roads. The first pic is looking east toward Clinton. That first curve is just the beginning.

The next pic is looking west. It is 17 miles in that direction to the junction of highway 7. That is a good representation of what you will have to endure all the way.

After finishing that real good burger I pulled out west toward highway 7 and did my best to endure. ;) When I got there @gwhobo was waiting. After some discussion we pulled out riding to the Oark General Store. As you can see we did not take the direct route. But we did enjoy some pie. :)(y)

Got a lot done today ... checked out the burger at Hillbilly Slim's, the pie at Oark and as many curvy roads as we could find getting it done.

Hopefully for the next trip we will get to examine Heidi's Ugly Cakes in Norfork.(y)

Until next time ... COME ON SPRING!!!!!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Monk, I am envious of your proximity to great roads. I grew up in Little Rock and remember them well!
Yes, and I'm looking at your location and thinking of all your great roads as well!!! For a long time I was making a trip to your area at least yearly. Now I'm long overdue. My personal favorite is the Cherohala Skyway. (y) (y)

Those pictures have a second meaning. They are telling me to come down to Arkansas. I can hear the voices in my head!!
Load it up and come on down! :)

FYI: The MRI will be the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after father's day in June. Get it on your calendar. (y)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yep...I have to get out there and try the burger. Oh...I have to ride a curvy road to get there? Well...ok, I guess... :rolleyes::D

At least I got in 550 miles yesterday as a therapy ride....and there were even some pretty cool CURVES! Have to stay practiced for my next Ozark visit. (y)

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
The weather was just to good to pass up another opportunity. I pulled out just before 10:00 riding toward Clinton. Larry was not going to join me until early afternoon. I fueled the bike and headed west on highway 16. Here is the route for the day. A total of 321 miles!!
View attachment 366243

On the way across 16 I decided to try Hillbilly Slim's for lunch. It was my first stop there for food, and I was not disappointed.
View attachment 366244

I ordered their basic cheeseburger with a side of fries. That burger had the best flavor of any that I've purchased to date in the Ozarks! I will be doing that again!

Now it is time for the WARNING! Look at the two pics below and you will understand.
View attachment 366245

View attachment 366246

The reason for the warning? You cannot get to this place without riding some very curvy roads. The first pic is looking east toward Clinton. That first curve is just the beginning.

The next pic is looking west. It is 17 miles in that direction to the junction of highway 7. That is a good representation of what you will have to endure all the way.

After finishing that real good burger I pulled out west toward highway 7 and did my best to endure. ;) When I got there @gwhobo was waiting. After some discussion we pulled out riding to the Oark General Store. As you can see we did not take the direct route. But we did enjoy some pie. :)(y)
View attachment 366247

Got a lot done today ... checked out the burger at Hillbilly Slim's, the pie at Oark and as many curvy roads as we could find getting it done.

Hopefully for the next trip we will get to examine Heidi's Ugly Cakes in Norfork.(y)

Until next time ... COME ON SPRING!!!!!
I'm telling you that you guys are having more fun than is probably legal, but continue to enjoy. ;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes, and I'm looking at your location and thinking of all your great roads as well!!! For a long time I was making a trip to your area at least yearly. Now I'm long overdue. My personal favorite is the Cherohala Skyway. (y) (y)
We live in Florida, but we bought the place in Maggie about 10 years ago because we went to the area so often to ride. We spend about 10 weeks there in the summer every year ourselves and rent it short term when we are not there.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We live in Florida, but we bought the place in Maggie about 10 years ago because we went to the area so often to ride. We spend about 10 weeks there in the summer every year ourselves and rent it short term when we are not there.

Florida!? One of the few states I have not visited on the bike. Couldn't find any curvy roads there?!! ;)

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sometimes it is about the ride and sometimes it is the destination. This time it was both. We wanted to eat lunch at Heidi's Ugly Cakes in Norfork and find a lot of curvy roads on the way up and back. We managed to get that done.

On this trip I decided to use an additional option with my spot tracker. The yellow tabs indicate what we were doing at those stops. And if I got it right the tab with the camera icon includes a photo at a scenic overlook. To see that it will be necessary to go back to the beginning of this thread and open the March Spot Tracker and click on that icon.

Here is the evidence of our stop and Heidi's.

Then dessert ... peanut butter pie!! Hmmmm good!! :)

Below is the pic at the scenic overlook that you should be able to see when you check out that icon on the spot track.

I got in 312 miles with a mixed weather day. It was pretty cool by Arkansas standards until after lunch. As you can see in the pic above, the sun did final come out from behind the clouds. Once it did we had a beautiful day on our hands.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This route made us pretty close on mileage, I ended up with a total of 315. A fun day with good roads.
Enjoyed a good lunch at Heidi's and was happy to see her parking lot is now motorcycle friendly.?
Push Mountain in good shape and a fun ride as always.
Got home in time to see how bad I need to do some yard work instead of riding...... nah?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts