GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to take a road trip with the wife To Hannibal Mo. Will be traveling from the Missouri Bootheel up I 55. Just wondering if there is any flooding still going on up that way that may affect our ride. Also where would be a good place to stay while we are there .

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions I may receive.

·
Registered
581 Posts
We have been to Hannibal twice. First time we stayed in Hotel by river. It was ok, but wouldn't recommend it. It was close to attractions though. I believe it was the Mark Twain Inn. They were in process of improvements though, so maybe better now.
Stayed at nicer Hotel by highway 2nd time. Don't remember the name though. There are many hotels in area, shouldn't have a hard time finding a nice room.
I would recommend seeing Daniel Boones home in Defiance Mo. Really worth the side trip. Also don't miss St. Charles Mo.
The road following river from St. Charles to Hannibal, dont remember the #, is really worth while. Very scenic and several small towns along the way that are worth seeing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We have been to Hannibal twice. First time we stayed in Hotel by river. It was ok, but wouldn't recommend it. It was close to attractions though. I believe it was the Mark Twain Inn. They were in process of improvements though, so maybe better now.
Stayed at nicer Hotel by highway 2nd time. Don't remember the name though. There are many hotels in area, shouldn't have a hard time finding a nice room.
I would recommend seeing Daniel Boones home in Defiance Mo. Really worth the side trip. Also don't miss St. Charles Mo.
The road following river from St. Charles to Hannibal, dont remember the #, is really worth while. Very scenic and several small towns along the way that are worth seeing.

That scenic highway is Hwy 79, and it is much more enjoyable than driving up Hwy 61, but it does take quite a bit longer. Whatever you do, make sure you're doing the posted speed limits when you get into those small towns. My boss was ticketed for 4mph over in Silex...

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Two weeks ago Hwy 54 was blocked by flooding near Louisiana Mo. Not sure if it open yet.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
That scenic highway is Hwy 79, and it is much more enjoyable than driving up Hwy 61, but it does take quite a bit longer. Whatever you do, make sure you're doing the posted speed limits when you get into those small towns. My boss was ticketed for 4mph over in Silex...
I agree, 79 is a much better, though longer, ride. Cross over to IL and return down the Great River Road stopping at the ladge at Pierre Marquette Park, or Fast Eddies in Alton, for a meal.

Hope things cool off for you.

·
Registered
512 Posts
chevelle69,

When you get up to north st louis, roll over to route 79(MO). this is the great river road. This will take you somewhat along the Mississippi river,,although for the most part,,,you are far enough away,,you do not actually see the river. Come up to Louisiana ,MO. Tour around this town! I was there for the first time just this past weekend,,and I am only about 3.5 hours way from it. Louisiana has lots of gorgeous old victorian homes! I love looking at grand old archetecture like this!
You can follow route 79 up towards Hannibal,,,but about 10 miles north of Louisiana,MO ,,you will have to detour out to US 61,,,as there is a part of route 79( great river road) that has caved away,,at one of the lookout points. this only adds about 10 minutes to the trip from LA,,,to Hannibal( no gravel roads involved BTW).
You could go back down the Illinois side( Great River Road Route 96) to Grafton,Alton, St Louis,,as this area,,is sort of forgotonia as well. You can cross on the FREE ferry at Pere-Marquette state part before you reach Grafton,IL., ,,,and get into MO this way as well. Losts of the area coming down the IL. side is shaded,,so if it,,is hotter than hades,,,at least it is bearable in the afternoon. You will see LOTS of HD's on this stretch heading to Fast Eddie's in Alton Il,,,to eat,to do the HD bling thing.

Idea: Stop in Grafton Il,,to eat at the Rotten Apple. good food,,and the waitesses in there will make you want to come back for second LOOK,,,beleive me!!!!
Hope this helps.

take Care,
BC

·
Registered
512 Posts
chevell69,

You may want to at least look at this link, bed & brekfast.
A very cool house on the south edge of Hannibal. the MS,,, may like doing something like this,,,rather than an motel. They do have a couple 'cottages' that you could rent for one,two nights,,that would be reasonable.

http://www.garthmansion.com/

just an idea.

take care,
bc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts