GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Markel Insurance? http://www.markelinsuresfun.com
They insure snow mobiles, bicycles, boats, jet ski's, ATV's, even weddings and vacations but NOT auto's.

Progressive increased my premium $62 this year to $519 so I will not renew. I had contracted the highest limits of coverage offered by Progressive but they obviously need to pay for all their expensive and repeated TV advertisements and Flo.

Markel was more than $150 less for same limits of coverage but I don't know how reliable they are.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My bikes and waverunners are with them

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Markel Insurance? http://www.markelinsuresfun.com
They insure snow mobiles, bicycles, boats, jet ski's, ATV's, even weddings and vacations but NOT auto's.

Progressive increased my premium $62 this year to $519 so I will not renew. I had contracted the highest limits of coverage offered by Progressive but they obviously need to pay for all their expensive and repeated TV advertisements and Flo.

Markel was more than $150 less for same limits of coverage but I don't know how reliable they are.
Price is most always the best I have access to but thank goodness to no claims... My Dad is a client with his wing too. I think USAA is reselling them as their bike option....

·
Chard Member
12,967 Posts
Wanted $450 more than State Farm per year. Checked a few days ago. Your experience may be different.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Unfortunately, usually the only way to find out if you have a good company is to file a legitimate claim. There are some cases where a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Unless I missed (possible), no respondents so far have filed a claim. That should be the first response to answer your question. Of course a company seems great when they are busy taking your money. Just a while back, on this board, a gentleman went through a nightmare with what is supposedly a "reputable" company. Ha, that was a joke.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Been with Markel/BikeLine since 2006. Best rates (for me) and I did have a claim once. They were great. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I had Markel for a few years.
Then switched to Progessive. First years premium was great. 2nd year took a big jump.
Went back to Markel and I'm happy as no increases for the past few years.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have Markel ........ they are motorcycle folks themselves ........ I have had it for several years. I've never had a motorcycle claim with Markel or Progressive. However, I did have Progressive coverage with my GL1200 Aspencade for many years. When I went to add my new 2010 GL1800 4 years ago, Progressive hiked my premium $1200 per year just for the new GL1800 .........
I had been looking at Markel for quite some time, so I then contacted them and immediately switched...... My current premium is approximately $490 or so per year. I have since sold my GL1200, so the premium is for the GL1800 only which includes nationwide roadside coverage and assistance in case of any breakdowns or motorcycle outages ......

Like I said, they are motorcycle folks themselves ...........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to Deal with

I've had Markel for a few years. Competitive rates and when I did have a major claim there were no problems, quick response and very fair. Also, rates didn't "jump" at renewals after the claim either. More than I can say about some that I've heard about...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, these are all fairly good comments and enough for me to make the switch to Markel Insurance. Thanks to all that replied.

FYI, I had been a satisfied Progressive customer for many years (12 yrs auto and 7 yrs with Wing) but when my teen daughter got her license the Progressive auto policy rate went thru the roof (as expected). When the agent (Flo) suggested I request a new quote (supposedly because my current contract with them was before they started using credit scores for rating purposes) :roll:, I specifically told her to quote me full tort coverages. The quote was significantly lower so she suggested I cancel my old policy. She said that I had to commit to the new policy contract now over the phone with an immediate debit or credit card number (the first sign of a rip off coming). After returning from our vacation two weeks later I read the mail to find in the policy declarations page the new rate was based on limited tort, NOT the full tort requested! What a surprise, huh? Progressive refused to honor my original quote request for full tort at the lower limited tort quoted rate. Within 30 days I was with GEICO and will never give Progressive or Flo the time of day ever again. YMMV

From now on, I will not commit to any insurance policy quoted verbally over the phone until I review the policy declarations page in black and white. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Markel Ins.

I have Markel on my trike. I have an agreed upon value. If anything happens to my ride I get a check for the agreed upon value less my $250.00 deductible. No problems. Last year they send my bill and it was $50.00 less that the year before. That is a first for any insurance I have had. I'm happy with them. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
113 Posts
Insurance

I have had Geico since I bought a 06 Gl1800. My annual payment is less than $260. they also have my auto insurance and it also is low compared to rates quoted at other companies. The insurance also covers my Bushtec trailer.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I'm in the Memphis, tn area----Markel quoted me stupidly higher rates than other companies did. Location, location, location I guess. Dairyland was also a high quote for me, tho not as high as markel was.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Since the insurance companies use credit scores (among other things) to figure premiums, it does no good to shop based on comparing cost with other riders.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

Western PA is has some of the highest motorcycle rates. I had Progressive since I had my 2004. When I got the 2012 the cost was about the same. Then all of a sudden, they increased it $170 in two years. When I questioned them they told me it was because fo the number of claims filed in my area. Not just bikes, but all claims. I switched to Allstate this past year. Rates were a lot lower for better coverage. Next year I'm giong to look into Rider. They only insure motorcycles. PA is one of the states they sell to.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I got a quote from Markel about 5 years ago and they were about $500 higher than Dairyland.

I've had two major claims through Dairyland and while both were fair settlements, meaning I very satisfied with the amount they paid, the last time (3 months ago) they took way too much time to cut the check,... in my opinion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm in the Memphis, tn area----Markel quoted me stupidly higher rates than other companies did. Location, location, location I guess. Dairyland was also a high quote for me, tho not as high as markel was.
Funny, I had the exact opposite happen. Progressive went crazy, and called GEICO and they did too. Called Markel and they halved it. In Memphis (well Bartlett) at the time

·
Registered
331 Posts
Since the insurance companies use credit scores (among other things) to figure premiums, it does no good to shop based on comparing cost with other riders.
You are correct, however asking the question may lead to a company you haven't thought about. Like direct auto, they insure bikes now. When progressive (maybe GEICO I really don't remember) went up from 800 a year to more than 1200 for my bike I started calling around. The other company matched them but was about 100 more (just like the year before). I saw am add on TV for direct auto, they said they needed the vin. I got the vin and they came up with a figure almost 5,000. Said vin showed that it was a race bike, liers. I didn't have a DUI so I left the DUI company alone.

Few days later found a bike mag at work with an add for Bikeline by Markel. Called them and they halved mine. I left early and went to them.

I do make it a point to ask when I call Markel what the person on the phone rides. They all have pretty convincing answers. Maybe they ride maybe they dont

1 - 20 of 21 Posts