GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Oregon. No rain!

I'm battling terrible back pain tonight after a 5 hour ride. Do the aftermarket backrests on the market really help avoid upper back pain from rides..??

Worst pain I've ever had riding in 20 years.. :(

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
It helped me. I was getting a sharp pain right between the shoulder blades. I added REG Risers and that helped a little. I then got a Hartco seat with a driver backrest and all is well now.

·
Registered
732 Posts
In a word....YES Now the question becomes....Which one do I buy. There's another thread going right now dealing with which Mfg.
I like the Kury and others like the Utopia. I had the same upper back pain as you described and chose the Kury because the pad hits me towards the middle of my back. The Utopia sits lower and you have to cut the seat to install it....which I didn't want to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Absolutely, they help!! Most especially if you plan on doing some serious riding. Order yourself a Utopia Backrest for your 1800 and you'll never take it off again.

DaleC

·
Registered
544 Posts
Back rest and risers did the trick for me. I wouldn't be without them. :biker:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
You're pain is probably coming from the awkward seating position mostly for taller or long legged riders. That position if you'll take notice forces you to lean forward and then puts the stress from holding up your head and helment compounded by the bumps and dips you ride over to the lower neck/upper back region. My solution was a combination of the adjustable Utopia backrest, also Reg risers adjustable version to lift and move the bars back, and Kury ergo II 4056 highway pegs. Now my posture is correct and no more neck and shoulderblade area pain. 8) Terry

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Risers and backrest! I road four hours yesterday without any additional pains! and I have six herniated discs and arthritis!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
scootermannn said:

I'm battling terrible back pain tonight after a 5 hour ride. Do the aftermarket backrests on the market really help avoid upper back pain from rides..??

Oh yes they work ! Without the backrest I would not be riding. The most popular backrest is the Utopia, this is another way to have your backrest and not cut the seat for installation. Mine is the kromeworks (SP) At first I was dissapointed becasue it hit me up high in the middle of my back I wanted it lower. But that was three years ago so I guess it works where it is......LOL Whatever kind you get you will love it. It makes riding sooooooo much better............ :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mike L said:
scootermannn said:

Oh yes they work ! Without the backrest I would not be riding. The most popular backrest is the Utopia, this is another way to have your backrest and not cut the seat for installation. Mine is the kromeworks (SP) At first I was dissapointed becasue it hit me up high in the middle of my back I wanted it lower. But that was three years ago so I guess it works where it is......LOL Whatever kind you get you will love it. It makes riding sooooooo much better............ :)

What Mike said...........

Glenn

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agreee to the Utopia and Reg risers.

You may want to give a little concern as to how high you have to lift your leg to get it over the backrest when mounting/dismounting.

On my 04 I started getting between the shoulder pain so I added risers first. That did the job on the shoulder pain. A couple of weeks later I added the backrest. That took care of overall acheness.

On my 07 I just added the backrest. I bought risers but never got around to having them installed. Don't know why but no shoulder pain. I doubt I'll mount them unless I need to.

Along with the backrest you are going to need highway pegs or boards for that comfortable lounge chair posture.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I had spinal fusion surgery on my upper back (neck) C3-C4-C4 a couple of years ago. The 1800 would make my neck muscles very tight and sore after a couple of hundred miles.

Solution: Utopia and bar risers. I used Kury as they offer a lot of optional positions. Up and Back with the bars and all is well.

Pain and strain is caused by poor posture on the bike. These help me stay in position. Now if I could loose 30 lbs. of belly!!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I'm real happy with my Utopia. 2 years and 34k miles and everything fells great after long and short rides. I did the first 1500 miles without a backrest and it was not fun. Now things are just fine. I have not installed my Reg Risers yet. I might just to try them, but haven't had the need.
Start with the back rest.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have one on my 05, I wouldn't be without it.
We rode as far as Reno on the first leg of a trip this fall and felt better than driving the car when we got there.If you are close to Salem you are welcome to try mine, but you won't regret installing one.Takes about an hour.

Mark

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had the same problem when I first started riding the wing.
I brought the kuryakyn backrest and it did help. But I only
use it on long trips.
After riding the wing for awhile the pain finally went away on
it's own. I guess it's a matter of your body adjusting to the riding
position of the wing. :?:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Without a doubt one of the best things I've ever put on my wing was the backrest......and good to see a couple fellow Oregon riders on the boards...lets do a ride sometime :wink:

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
If my GL1000 had an available backrest that was any good I'd probably still be riding it. Felt like a knife in my spine after only 20 miles. SE-i had a backrest and I never had backpain on it, but the seat was worn out and my butt would get sore after about 100 miles requiring a brief stretch stop.

When I bought the GL1800 I was going to get a Utopia when I picked it up, but the dealer didn't have any and Utopia was back-ordered at the time. I bought a Utopia at East Tennessee Goldwings in Knoxville three days later, and it has only been off when the wife does backrest duty for me.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
scootermannn said:
. Do the aftermarket backrests on the market really help avoid upper back pain from rides..??

In one word yes!
The first thing I did on both my 1800's was put on a Utopia backrest. It makes a huge difference, like sitting in a chair. You don't have all your back/nec muscles straining to hold you up, the backrest does that so you can relax. Also the Utopia is adjustable and looks like an OEM part w/o ugly brackets.

Steve

·
Registered
704 Posts
YES. I have a lot of accessories on my bike, but the VERY FIRST accessory on the bike was the Utopia backrest. Had one on my GL1200 and it was the best money I ever spent on that bike also. Like others have said, REG RISERS with a good backrest should solve your problem. Even with just the backrest, I would still get the sharp pain between my shoulders on long rides until I aded the risers. Now I have ZERO PAIN after riding all day long.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts