GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Matt Wise has composed a detailed report on his record setting 45,000 mile - 45 day long-distance ride. It's a fascinating recap of the birth of the idea, the planning, and the accomplishment of the actual ride. Ride along with Matt as he crisscrosses the U.S., completing several certificate rides and near certificate rides in the process of completing this historic ride.

Matt is a member of the Defective Gene Pool Hall of Fame. The "Defective's" are just that - riders who have some sort of loose screw, or defective gene as we refer to it, that causes them to ride ridiculous miles, usually for nothing more than a piece of paper with Mike Kneebone's signature at the bottom. With this feat Matt may have put himself at the top of the Defective list. We're honored to have him in our ranks and equally honored that he chose our website to host his ride report.

To read the full report, go to www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com and click the button on the Home Page labeled The Fastest 45 Days.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I sure don't understand how you can average a thousand miles a day for 45 days. Are you getting new bikes to ride or do you do maintenance along the way? Ya gotta have some tire replacements and a couple of oil changes. I did a iron butt once and even running interstates we still averaged less than 50 MPH with fuel and food needed. I'm guessing you have to do a few 36 hour days with little time to rest before doing it again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It looks like an interesting read, but only when I have time. Right now I'm on an extended vacation.?
That being said, I assume he did a lot of this 45 day ride on interstates. Well, how easy can it get? You guys in the lower 48 have it soooooo good when it comes to cranking out the miles.
I've done a few thousand mile days, or at least close to it. A ButtBurner, or was it a SaddleSore 1000 miles in 24 hours was quite doable even though 2/3 of it was on two-lane mountain roads and several hours in the dark. A great way to learn all about puckering up.?
This type of riding does appeal to me, but geography puts a kibosh into it.
I will read it. I promise.

·
IronMan
17,635 Posts
AVERAGE ON IRON BUTT 1000 MILES IS 17 HOURS. SURE WOULD NEED LONGER DAYS / MILES AS TO SEVICE BIKE ETC. I'D HAVE TO PULL TRAILER TO CARRY CASES OF 5 HR ENERGY ! :laugh:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Matt Wise has composed a detailed report on his record setting 45,000 mile - 45 day long-distance ride. It's a fascinating recap of the birth of the idea, the planning, and the accomplishment of the actual ride. Ride along with Matt as he crisscrosses the U.S., completing several certificate rides and near certificate rides in the process of completing this historic ride.

Matt is a member of the Defective Gene Pool Hall of Fame. The "Defective's" are just that - riders who have some sort of loose screw, or defective gene as we refer to it, that causes them to ride ridiculous miles, usually for nothing more than a piece of paper with Mike Kneebone's signature at the bottom. With this feat Matt may have put himself at the top of the Defective list. We're honored to have him in our ranks and equally honored that he chose our website to host his ride report.

To read the full report, go to www.dfwdefectivegenepool.com and click the button on the Home Page labeled The Fastest 45 Days.
:wrong:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
No, you don't have to do a thousand miles a day - every day...

750 one day, do the maintenance (or, have a bit of assistance...), then crank out 1250 mile day the next day. Simply put, your average needs to equate to > 1000/day

On another thread on another forum is the story of the very, very few that have done 100,000 miles in a year.

Y'all can do the math on that one. Note that the high mileage for BMW riders in their annual contest for 2018 was around half of that.

Kudos to Matt for a ride that most will only talk about.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am impressed with the trip and the details; however, at 70 MPH, this would be approximately 14.5 hours non-stop. Allowing a minimum of 5 fuel stops, maybe eating, and personal hygiene; this would appear to be a 15-16 hour per day endeavor.

What can you see at 70 MPH? More than likely nothing.

I understand this is not a sightseeing motorcycle cruise, but I just don't see the point. Bu then again, I do not see he point of eating 300 chicken wings in 10 minutes, hanging from hooks through your nipples for 2 days, having 21" fingernails, or many of the other "setting records" things.

I ride my motorcycle to enjoy my time, my spouse, and the environment I am riding in. Seldom more than 60 MPH, seldom more than 350 miles, and usually more stops than I can count. If I need to travel 45,000 miles in 45 days, there's always Southwest Airlines!

·
Registered
413 Posts
kw,

I read it and I have no doubt he visited along the way. I read the article. I as just saying, it is not my current style of riding. Maybe 25 years ago, the IBA style of riding would have intrigued me (I did ride from Cleveland Ohio to Fort Myers Florida at 21 years old in less than 12 hours - fuel and bathroom stops only), but I would never think of averaging 100 MPH on my Goldwing (yeah, I did that as a 20 year old idiot).

I would think to visit, eat, sleep, fuel stops, repairs, and all other issues one would encounter in 48 days, it would appear to much like work. I work hard to leisurely enjoy my riding time. But that is, in no way, a judgment of Matt and his accomplishment. He did something I would not do - and in all likelihood, could not do. Kudos to Matt.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
616 Posts
That was a great read.

I've done a few 1K days in my life but never more than two days back to back. Honestly I find 1K days kind of tough, 800 miles per day is my "comfy" limit. The thought of doing a marathon like this makes me shake with fear, lol.

I do enjoy riding the interstates to make distance though. I know not everyone does but I've had some of my best days of riding doing gas and goes to make it somewhere far I want to take my time exploring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts