GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally my 50th state. Can I rent a GL1800 on the Island of Maui, in Hawaii? If so, Where? The only State I have left to ride in...and here is my chance. Wife and are are going there the first of May. :excited:

Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
When I lived there (70's and 80's) the only thing rented was those damned mopeds, that could not get out of there own way. Maybe things have changed since then. I would check with the tourism dept on Maui.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do a Google search for it (Goldwing rental in Maui) I was looking about three days ago.

Here are the rates I found

GOLDWING AND HARLEY-DAVIDSON
3 Hours $80.00
5 Hours $105.00
Day (back by 1730) $135.00
24 Hours $175.00Rent a motorcycle on Kauai
[email protected]

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you do, be sure to take the Road to Hana. It's spectacular, and makes Deals Gap look like a Go Kart track.
Agree it's extremely beautiful. But take care and watch the road conditions - that side of the island gets several hundred inches of rain every year, which means it rains up to several times per day. Not only wet roads, but very slippery and even mossy in places. Disclaimer - we did our touring in a Jeep though, so it wasn't an issue for us.....

The diversity of climate on Maui is incredible. If you continue past Hana and keep going around clockwise, you literally go from rainforest to desert in a matter of miles/minutes. The weather patterns almost never change, the east and north sides are mainly rainforest (up to 400 inches rain per year), while the south and west sides are very dry (as little as 10 inches rain per year). Also, elevations range from zero to 10,000 feet above sea level. Some of the roads are very rugged and unimproved, but the scenery is OUTSTANDING! Now I'm getting really jealous I won't be visiting again there soon......

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
We were there last year, the only rental I saw was HDs, which was in Lanai.
That Hana road is pretty spectacular, pretty much a paved logging road in quality.
The traffic on it can be awful. We saw a sideswipe on our way down, two locals. Many of the locals drive junk and when you factor in a bunch of tourists in unfamiliar rental cars its a bit more risky than your average stretch of road. In fact the accident we saw was because the one guys car had lost a wheel and he veered into the other one. What was a trading of some metal could easily have been a head on or one car going over the very steep embankment.

·
Registered
315 Posts
check your goldbook and talk with someone local.. ride safe mike in ga..:congrats:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I did some research last year and only found Harley rentals (and mopeds) on Maui. There is a guy on Oahu that rents wings... there are several posts about his operation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I rented a HD in Maui, sadly no Goldwing rentals as of November 2006. You will experience riding like you've never done before. Go to Heleakala National Park, take the road to Hana. That road is not for amateurs, venture up the mountain only if you are comfortable with your riding skills. which by the way when you're riding two up on a rented Harley you are not likely very comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts