GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What the widest cargo anyone here has transported on a Gl1800 passenger seat? Call me crazy, but I am considering the Goldwing for a 1200 mile round trip to pick up a rear end for one of my old Studebakers. It weighs about 100 pounds; the CG, (and 90 percent of the weight) is in the, "pumpkin". The pumpkin, at 12" x 16", would fit nicely between the driver and passenger backrests. But I am concerned about total width including the tubes, which is 53" across. Centered on the rear seat, the tube ends would be about 12" past the saddlebags, and 10" past the rear speakers. The unit is clean, but I'd still wrap it in plastic, and strap it down tightly. Does this idea seem even remotely feasible, or should I have my head examined. LOL

My other thought is to drive one of the Studebakers to pickup the rear end, which is perfectly doable, and done many times before. But just not as much fun as on the Goldwing, at this point in my life.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
What the widest cargo anyone here has transported on a Gl1800 passenger seat? Call me crazy, but I am considering the Goldwing for a 1200 mile round trip to pick up a rear end for one of my old Studebakers. It weighs about 100 pounds; the CG, (and 90 percent of the weight) is in the, "pumpkin". The pumpkin, at 12" x 16", would fit nicely between the driver and passenger backrests. But I am concerned about total width including the tubes, which is 53" across. Centered on the rear seat, the tube ends would be about 12" past the saddlebags, and 10" past the rear speakers. The unit is clean, but I'd still wrap it in plastic, and strap it down tightly. Does this idea seem even remotely feasible, or should I have my head examined. LOL

My other thought is to drive one of the Studebakers to pickup the rear end, which is perfectly doable, and done many times before. But just not as much fun as on the Goldwing, at this point in my life.
Thanks

You're Crazy!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would say you would be OK for the bike; however, 1,200 miles is a long way, so the distance would be a concern.

Besides, once you happen across some twisties, you will not be scaping pegs, but rather Studebaker hubs!!! That should be a concern.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're Crazy!
Maybe, but still toying with the idea. Hoping someone like UNCLEJOHN will see and respond. I know he, and several others have packed stuff all over the country, and maybe not always with trailers. I refuse to buy a trailer, as I would probably never use it again.

Thanks. :)

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
How far would it extend beyond the Wing, on each side? Across town? I would likely do it. 600 miles (return)? For me, too many opportunities for too much to go wrong. The amount protruding from the sides of the Wing is what would concern me. If it would be 90% interstate after you picked up the part, I would give it a little more chance of a possibility. Maybe. If I read correctly, 10" past the speakers and 12" past the saddlebags? Aren't the bags the widest part of the Goldwing? Even at 10", it would be too easy to have a brain lapse and get a little too close to other "stuff" and have a side swipe situation, creating all kinds of wild possibilities. Fortunately for me, I have a trailer. If we were closer, I suspect we could work something out.

Which ever way you decide, good luck, and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How far would it extend beyond the Wing, on each side? Across town? I would likely do it. 600 miles (return)? For me, too many opportunities for too much to go wrong. The amount protruding from the sides of the Wing is what would concern me. If it would be 90% interstate after you picked up the part, I would give it a little more chance of a possibility. Maybe. If I read correctly, 10" past the speakers and 12" past the saddlebags? Aren't the bags the widest part of the Goldwing? Even at 10", it would be too easy to have a brain lapse and get a little too close to other "stuff" and have a side swipe situation, creating all kinds of wild possibilities. Fortunately for me, I have a trailer. If we were closer, I suspect we could work something out.

Which ever way you decide, good luck, and enjoy the trip.
I too, thought the saddlebags were the widest point, but when measuring, discovered the speakers extend 2" farther outboard than the saddlebags. It would be 99 percent interstate, from Kentucky to West Virginia, so lots of sweepers on the mountainous areas of the interstate. My main concern would be a tightrope walker's balancing pole effect, which may require more, "work" in leaning over and transitioning the bike, both moving and at gas pumps, parking lots, etc..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Maybe if you stood it up on end instead... >:)

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I see red flags!!! Well really red flags would need to be tied on to the protruding ends, and at night LEO’s might want lights out there on the ends. Too bad your not a golfer, get one of those racks for clubs, stand it up vertical, and go. Once YOU got a trailer, you would use it all the time. You car parts shopper you.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I’ve seen some “pretty wide loads” on the passenger seat of some of the wings at the Dairy Queen. You should be fine by comparison.....?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tape a big pinwheel on each end of the axle so they will twirl while you drive. This will alert others that you have a wide rear-end. At the very least you will get some looks and maybe some conversation at gas stops.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Joe, no offense intended, but I'd walk away from that idea as quickly as I could. Maybe ride the bike there, rent a U-haul truck, and secure the bike and the rear end in there for the return trip. Everybody and everything gets home safe.

Reactions: 98valk and JoeHall

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
... Does this idea seem even remotely feasible, or should I have my head examined. LOL...
The psychiatrist is in.... head examined. Yep, crazy... I'll certify it. :wink2:

Maybe, but still toying with the idea. Hoping someone like UNCLEJOHN will see and respond. I know he, and several others have packed stuff all over the country, and maybe not always with trailers. I refuse to buy a trailer, as I would probably never use it again.

Thanks. :)
Actually you'd probably find yourself using it all the time. Sometimes I pull my trailer, sometimes not. But, once you have it, you'll find yourself using if for such things all the time, and you will have a good (and safe) reason to ride the bike. :wink2:

I’ve seen some “pretty wide loads” on the passenger seat of some of the wings at the Dairy Queen. You should be fine by comparison.....?
... these "loads" aren't safe either.... :surprise:

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
LOAD ER UP ! PLENTY ROOM !:surprise::laugh:

Attachments

Reactions: revrunt and JoeHall

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Torch the axle housings off at the pumpkin and bungee them to seat, weld it all back when ya git home! :grin2: With enough patience and a cuttin' torch, you can put a Hemi in a piss ant:joke: Seriously, get a trailer or drive to get it.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
608 Posts
Harbour Freight has a small utility trailer for $289.99, wouldn't even need to add a floor if you didn't want. If you decide you don't want to keep it, sell it when you get back. If you you don't have to license a small trailer in your state even better.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Harbour Freight has a small utility trailer for $289.99, wouldn't even need to add a floor if you didn't want. If you decide you don't want to keep it, sell it when you get back. If you you don't have to license a small trailer in your state even better.
Best suggestion yet!

Ronnie

Reactions: Pooch
1 - 20 of 36 Posts