GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a little project that would require me picking up about 7 extra amps, if I come off the battery is that too much to ask for. It would not run constantly but cycle off and on. Can you put a amp probe off the positive battery lead to read the amp draw or would the load even off the battery be falling back to the alternator.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Unless you have a whole bunch of stuff already, 7 amps will be a piece of cake for the Goldwing alternator.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Without going into a long discussion regarding how to use a current meter - as BikerJohn said, unless you've added a whole bunch of other stuff to the wing - you have plenty of power to spare and the on/off cycle won't hurt a thing. Depending on the year of the bike - pre 06 has an 1100 watt alternator, post 06 has a 1300 watt. At a nominal 14.4 volt alternator output - that equates to 76.4 amps or 90.3 amps available. End result - no issue. As was pointed out though - I would recommend going through an Aux Fuse Panel with a relay system.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
7 Amps

That is less than you would use for a set of Gerbings gear.

I would certainly suggest a power block, but it is certainly possible to wire a fused circuit directly to the battery. Eastern Beaver has a power block that will handle 50 amps. 20 unswitched with 2 circuits and 30 switched in 6 circuits. It provides independent fuses for each circuit.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew I came to the right place, my project is located in my trailer so I had planned on running a fused wire from the battery to the trailer but what is the thought behind using a relay, the pro's and con's. Thanks for all the input guy's :bow:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Without a relay the wire will be hot all the time. Use a relay and trigger the relay from the Acc terminals on the bikes fuse panel. Then the wire is hot only with the key in the on or acc position.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very good input, I think you are correct and I should use a relay, do you have any suggestions on type, not sure were I could mount it by a very good idea non the less. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Very good input, I think you are correct and I should use a relay, do you have any suggestions on type, not sure were I could mount it by a very good idea non the less. Thank you.
Mount it wherever your little heart desires. Mine is located in the void space in front of the relay box under the seat. I use a standard 12 volt normally open contact relay - sends power to my aux battery in my trailer. Relay also prevents backfeeding from the aux battery into the bike.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
How relays work:

:fullsize:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts