GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
149 Posts
Great job on that. He took his time to make it good for life. Shame on Honda on this issue. It would be nothing for Honda's engineers to come up with this. This bike is one of the most expensive out there. Max plate reminds me the skid plate on a Range Rover LOL !!! I will be a customer as soon as I see the finished kit. Happy plate giving and safe ride.....!!!!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I just finished watching Max's video for the install on the new belly pan for my 2018 GW.
You mean the new "engine case guard". Yeah, I know, but that's what he calls it, because it is more than a belly pan.

Reactions: fla_rider

·
Registered
8,567 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Aloha,

I like what I saw on Max’s video.
Easy install with what looks like a very solid finished product.
The anodized finish will top the whole item off.
Only 8 tapered bolt/screws have to be removed to service the oil and filters.
An extra couple of minutes added before and after, I think I can live with that. 👍
I guess the wait was worth it.
I’m getting one.
Now just have to see the “Alcan” (is that name right?) model and decide which one I want.
Great job Max!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
So, it looks nice and should be able to stand up to any potential punishment. Seeing what it is and how it fits, it leaves me with one question..... Can it stand up to holding the bike on a bike lift where one arm goes under the center stand mount (when folded up or missing for non-trunk bike) and the forward lift arm landing on this plate? I would not need to come up with a spacer for the front arm to not crush the exhaust. Resting on your plate taking the forward weight of the bike on the lift would eliminate needing that spacer.

Forgot to mention..... Having such a strong product that can hold up to what I am asking above makes it worth the added strength.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Am I wrong or mis-heard previously that it was going to have slotted vents? Or did Max's testing determine it did not hold heat?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
aluminum makes for a great heat-sink pulling heat out of whatever it is in contact with. It also pulls cold out of frozen meats faster. What makes things even better for aluminum as a heat-sink is that it sheds the heat that it collects rather quickly. So, all "fins" will do is load up the top of the plate with pebbles and weaken the plate.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Will the annodized coating affect the cooling properties?
I think one of the "quick thaw" plates on the market is anodized. I had a room mate that had one that was black and not the silver looking raw aluminum. When you used it, after putting a cold block of meat on it for just a few minutes; any part of it you touched would be rather cold. From that, I would have to say it will not affect it at all.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,864 Posts
Will the annodized coating affect the cooling properties?
Typically a black anodization will increase radiative capabilities. Other colors are less effective.

Aluminum is the metal with the best heat conduction/radiation, copper is a close second. Copper is the best metal for heat transportation, aluminum a close second. Big critical heatsinks will use a copper core and aluminum plating to maximize both.

For this pan, if you wanted it more rigid, a pair of 3/16" high bead rolls (1/3rd of the way in from each edge) would increase the stiffness considerably, but is probably not needed. If you hit something hard enough to bend that thick piece of aluminum - you're going to run the risk of cracking mounting bosses as well.

I'd still like to see a model with "wings" out the side, bent to follow just over the exhaust tubes and up - so that you could mount highway pegs directly to the pan! Might need to buy a kit from Max, design up the sheet to do that, and play with it...

·
Registered
618 Posts
The 4 bolts that are taking out to install the brackets are the bolts that hold the engine covers together. Do you think that could be a problem?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts