GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max,
I haven't purchased a rear shock from you yet, but am getting ready.
Can you please explain the differences of rebuilding my shock as oppossed to buying a Penski from you?
Such as future rebuilds or maintenance. Adjustability and performance.
The one big thing I was concerneed about was aluminum. I had a Wilbers racing shock on my ST1300A which had an adjustable length. On race bikes, that's great. On a 700 Lb. bike, not so good. The aluminum locknuts would sheer and collaps, and the jarrring effect would blow out the hydraulic preload adjuster. After the fourth shock they sent me, I had the job down to 2 1/2 hours. I finally got my money back. It was actually the last straw to buying the Goldwing. I did call Mike at Traxxion this morning to ask if the Penski had that type of adjustment on it and he said no. So that was answered. But I figured that other people would like to read your opinion on Honda rebuilt shock VS. Penski. So this is why I ask here instead of asking Mike over the phone.
Thanks.

BTW, did you get the brake pads fron Japan yet?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nedro
Good question! I'm getting ready to remove the rear shock on my 02 and send it over to Traxxion for the rebuild. I get so darn confused about all this suspension crap that I've considered just servicing my rear shock per Fred instructions and see what happens. I'm not a big performance or regular twisty rider. My rear shock just does not preload until the indicator reaches 12 on the scale. My main concern is comfort for my spouse.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I got the spring set up from triaxxon. May consider the whole rear modified unit next year. Looks like i will be busy in the cold weather soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Papa Benny,

Good question. I know from my own experience with making changes to the suspension (different bikes than the gl1800) you can get more comfort and increase performance. I know Traxxion products will deliver as promised because the Gl1800 is the 3rd bike I'm doing with Traxxion stuff.

My shock just got sent to Traxxion for new spring and revalving. My main interest was to stop the horrible jarring my wife was getting any time we hit a bump - even concrete seems on some highways were rough.

I know from following Nedro on different posts he's an ex-racer and a knowledgeable guy. The performance measures that he is asking Max at Traxxion about, relate to even better performance than a OEM shock revalve. Something we less aggressive guys don't need to worry about. Am I right Nedro?

Pappa, shocks and suspensions can be rebuilt to improve performance, which is a lot of what Traxxion does with race bikes etc. The cost to revalve is usually less than buying a whole new cartridge or shock. Hence $450 from Traxxion to respring and revalve our OEM shock vs god knows what for a whole new shock ($800 +++).

My guess is that for your riding, the shock rebuild plus new front springs, oil etc for forks will be quite satisfactory. That's what I am doing. I have other bikes to be aggressive with - not my 850 lb beast :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
The new shock we have on Toyo's bike and our bike will work EXACTLY like the shock we have been selling for the last year. It is spec'd identically, all the way down to the steel body.

The main advantage for us, is we won't have to deal with cores, and we can easily ship it overseas as well.

It will have only one feature that the shock we sell now doesn't, and that's that we can lower it a little tiny bit more than before to suit shorter riders.

So don't panic if you bought something last year, and think you need the "new" shock. It's only new because we're making it from scratch.

It will look prettier too, but on the GL, you won't get any ROI outta that! The shock is invisible!!! Wink

We are probably going to start switching over in January, when we get the first batch built. We are going to try and hold the price, but it may go up a little bit. Currently, we our shock is 33% less than the Progressive 460, so we feel it's more than competitively priced. Wink

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gpick said:
It will have only one feature that the shock we sell now doesn't, and that's that we can lower it a little tiny bit more than before to suit shorter riders.
I tried a search for the info. Thanks.
The part I left in the quote above is what scares me. I'd still like to see a picture of the said adjustment before I chose. I like having a Penski, but only if it doesn't colapse under the pressure.

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
Hi Nedro,

Let me clarify one thing first. There is no such thing as a Penske shock for a Goldwing. There is a Traxxion Dynamics Shock. It is a product I designed, and we even make a portion of the parts in house. It is made in conjunction with Penske. If you call them, they won't sell you one. It isn't their product.

Past that:

The new Traxxion Shock is spec'd exactly like the OEM one. STEEL body. Hardchrome Shaft. Aluminum clevis. Just like stock.

Ride height adjustment comes from where we spin the clevis onto the shaft before tightenting the steel jam nut. This is an "OFF THE BIKE" setting, you cannot do in on the bike like a racebike.

We have been doing the exact same thing with the OEM shock, but we can only tweak it a few mm.

With our new shock, we can set the shock UP, 3mm, or down 3mm. Also, internally, we can lower it another 3mm. After this amount, you can't get the bolts back in the linkage.

The ratio at the axle is 2.5:1. So 3mm=8mm at the axle.

This shock is rebuildable, using readily available parts in America.

But it will cost $50 more than our OEM upgrade, and won't include having the adjuster serviced. This is because lots of people like to install their own shock and will bleed their own adjuster. You will need the $55 Progressive spring tool to get the adjuster off of the stock shock.

If you want our new Traxxion brand shock, and only want to take the shock in and out, you can send us your stocker, and we'll remove, clean, and bleed the adjuster, and install it with the new spring on our shock for $25 extra.

Again, the damping performance will is EXACTLY the same as the shock we have been marketing for the past year.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Where are those brake pads you were formulating?

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
nedro said:
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Where are those brake pads you were formulating?
We are going to test Vesrah JL compound pads, and then when I was in Japan in December, I met with the President of Vesrah, and asked him to make me some RJL compound pads to test.

They should be arriving any day now. If they work like I think they will, they will be a home run with Wingers. The question is just how good of brakes do you want? :)

If it works, and the twisty guys like them, we can even evolve it to use the new Super RJL compound! :shock: :twisted:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The concern from the Brakes thread was a bit short sided to say the least. I want my brakes to have the ability to come to a stop EVERYTIME! Not simply to be able to make one panic stop and be done with it.
So, how good of brakes do I want? I want the best!
Good initial bite. Great sustaining ability. That's what I want.

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
nedro said:
The concern from the Brakes thread was a bit short sided to say the least. I want my brakes to have the ability to come to a stop EVERYTIME! Not simply to be able to make one panic stop and be done with it.
So, how good of brakes do I want? I want the best!
Good initial bite. Great sustaining ability. That's what I want.
You and I think the same... The RJLs will bite like a racebike! Grrrrr... :twisted:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts