GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a section of Queen Creek road east of the I-10 here in AZ I was able to open up my wing on friday for near two miles with a 1/2 mile slow down. No winds to really mention. The 4 mile section of road has a very gentle curve then straightens out. I came out of the curve at 100 and rolled the throttle open.

The bike stopped accelerating at an indicated 127 mph. It may have had 1 or 2 mph more.

With a 5% speed-O error that is 120 mph. I did not take notice of the tach reading.

I figured the Goldwing would run a bit faster than that. My 1979 Yamaha XS1100 ran an indicated 143 in 1980.

Please dont flame me for this. It is open farm land there and is a divided roadway

·
Registered
52 Posts
TOP SPEED

I RAN MY BLUE 01 UP TO WHAT LOOKED LIKE 130, BUT I REALLY CAN'T
BE SURE BECAUSE I WAS DISTRACTED BY BOTH OF MY FRONT SPEAKER
GRILLES SHOOTING OFF OF THE BIKE SIMULTANOUSLY. LUCKILY I FOUND BOTH STILL UNDESTROYED.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Dat's what de magazine says 127

I too thought the Wing would do better,but they probably did something with the computer,so she wont do more.It is not suppose to be fast,just a great touring cruiser.Look at it theis way if you had a Harley 95 would be the norm. I had a 95 Stang and it would do every bit of the speedometer's 150,but the new one do 115,unless you buy a programer to by pass it. I like you feel if you want to go fast,in a safe area it is up to you,just like wareing a helmut.

·
Registered
788 Posts
On one stretch of the Alcan Highway, straight for miles and 100 yd wide cleared shoulders, my GPS indicated MAX speed as 120.1 MPH. Don't know what the speedo read, because I was concentrating on the road. I was loaded with about 120 pounds of camping gear. The bike felt pretty well topped out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Due to all the safety chrome I'm hauling, I figure I would do good to hit the century mark. LOL!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Seems that top speed might be greater in 4th gear. That was the case with my old GL1200 but havn't tried with the 1800. Hasn't anyone tried a 4th gear top speed run on GL1800. I am now older and hopefully wiser and have given up those things for myself but am still interested.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Best I could get out of mine was 123 indicated on my SP III. Yup, the bottom vent cover blew out, and Meesh was saying something to me that I did not understand. She was using words that I have never heard her use befor....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The couple times I've given her all she had the best I could get registered on my GPS was 121. Was a bit of headwind, and at about 2500' elevation

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Well I have never purposely opened it up with the intention of getting to a top speed, but at a stop in Montana after traveling some isolated areas there, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming I checked my SPIII to see how fast I had gotten it up to during the trip. I was surprised (shocked actually). Sure wish I knew when I did it.... I really believe my Wing could do better too.

DaleC

·
Registered
70 Posts
The fastest I´m been doing was 125-130mph with an slight unsecure feeling from the buffeting, until I got a passenger onboard.
She is quite big if I may say so. I gave her a ride as a birthday present. I drove gentle on nice roads with her. On the way back she insisted to take the highway home. I asked her way? "I want to go fast" she replyed.
On the highway we went, and I did about 100mph and asked her if she was happy. "Give it all you got" she yeld. OK lets go.
We did an amazing 139mph on the speedo when the traffic stopped us. And steady as a rock.

A passenger fills the airpocket wery well I lerned.

Top of the story was when we stopped. I asked her if she knew who fast we had ridden. "Ye I got it on tape" she answered, showing me her videocam.
What a woman!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe the limiting factor on the top speed on a GL1800 is the rev limiter. Every test I've read shows the actual top speed as a little over 120 mph. Besides, I think it's not so important how fast it will go, but how fast it gets there.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will mention that the wing seemed to reach 'zen' at the max speed . It simply stopped accelerating.

I am not sure it was a rev limiter or what. Most rev limiters cut cylinders off to reduce the rpm in the automotive world.

The Wing never missed a beat.

My wife and I used to drag a race a 68 Chevelle when we were younger. She is used to higher speeds than most women.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News test, February 2001 issue, GL1800 performance.

GL1800
0-60 3.77 sec
1/4 mile 12.14 sec @105.92 mph
Top speed 123 mph

I have seen several magazines performance test results, all were within 2mph plus or minus, of 125mph.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've had it to 125 mph indicated, felt like it had quite a bit more on top, but was running out of the safety zone I had on the highway, so I backed off.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Top Speed

When I have a co-rider, top speed is about 80-85. A severe noise
starts over the intercom, rigs start to hurt, and loud banging on
the helmet. By myself, about 110 is tops, as somethings starts
running down my leg.

Think it is a warranty covered problem??????

·
Registered
788 Posts
Janne Sweden, at an indicated 139 MPH, you need a speedometer correction device, badly! Or, you need to tell us what you did to the bike to improve the performance that drastically. 123 to 125 is tops in all the tests that I have seen performed and reported.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i got on my 04 the other day and hit 115 before my sphincter muscles made me slow down. the bike still had some throttle left. maybe another day i'll push it again.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Been past 130 indicated a couple times,roads, deer, cops discourage it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts