GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this board but have been on VTXOA board for years. Had to get rid of wifes bike as she is losing her sight and she wanted to ride on something more comfy than the 1800 VTX C model. So we are getting rid of both VTX's.
That's why we are here now.
We are excited and would like to ask what we will need to do right away to make the wing even better???
Fog Lights, Kuryakin cruising pegs???
What suggestions do you have for a first time winger??

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Allen

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
What part of Ks. you all from, what dealer ya get'n your wing from?
Hazle

·
Registered
158 Posts
Safety/comfort first. Different windshield if the wind buffeting gets to you or your spouse.

Seat mods if the stock seat doesn't cut it on long trips, YMMV on this.

Highway pegs so you can stretch your legs. Kury transformers for your spouse so she can stretch hers.

Audio upgrade (Sirius/XM or iPod, maybe a CB) as your tastes desire.

Of course all is based on tastes and pocketbook.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Welcome, you are going to love the bike and this message board.

Check out http://cats-cade.org/

As far as where to start with setting up your ride. That's a personal thing as you know from your VTX days. If you come to one of our gatherings you'll see hundreds of ideas.

Are you looking for functional items or bling?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hazle
We are from Salina Kansas now. I was born and raised in Abilene before I spent 20 + years in the Air Force.

Dealing with Topeka Honda Shop for wing. I bought my VTX from them as well.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
real2mccoys said:
Hazle
We are from Salina Kansas now. I was born and raised in Abilene before I spent 20 + years in the Air Force.

Dealing with Topeka Honda Shop for wing. I bought my VTX from them as well.
Great you are West of me I'm in Shawnee for now Bought my 06 in Chanute {great Guys } Ive put the Fog lights on and the Spoiler with the brake light and the Belly Pan oh yea the Kury Highway Pegs but I wish i would of went with the MICK O PEGS.
Good Luck and Enjoy
Hazle

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Comfort..

Baker Hand Wings
Baker Air Wings
Better seat w/ backrest or just a backrest

Here's a list of the things I've added over the last 3 years...

Foglights
Headsets

Trunk Rack
Chrome Scuff Covers
Fairing intake vent
Kuryakyin Trunk inserts
Kuryakyin Bag inserts
Air Wings w/ Lowers
Seat back
highway pegs Ergo Dually II
Kury Grips
XM Radio
Hand Wings
Leg Wings
Rack Bag
1/2 Cover
CB Radio
Antenna
Chrome Radiator Grille
Opera Lights
LED Front Fender Accent
Rear Fender Trim
Lighted Mirror Vizor
Baby bumpers
Pak-It rack
Voltmeter
Pivot Cover
LED Front Reflector conversion
Fish Kickstand
Exhaust Turndowns
Bag Liners
GPS
Chrome Lower Cowl
FFE
Fairing Accent
Chrome Timing Chain Cover
Saddlebag Organizers
Clear Turn Signal lenses
Trunk Divider
Trunk Pouch
Spoiler
Cargo Net
Chrome Pass Floorboard covers
Com4 Headset x 2
Spoiler Light run/brake
Turnsignal conversion
Muth Mirrors
Trunk Light Grilles
Saddlebag Light Grilles
Kury Mudflap & mount Kit
Tapered seat bolts
Kury Footpegs
Progressive Fork Springs
Trunk power plug
Key Accent
Fender filler
PIAA Lights
Travelcade Seat
Floorboard Risers
Exigent Seat cover
Windbender
Trunk Light Kit
Leather Jacket
Gerbing Heated Jacket
Heat controller
Coax Connector

Rainsuits

Leather Jacket
Leather Pants

Gebring heated liner
Gebring heated gloves
Heat controller
Jacket, for wife
Ram mounts
Kennedy Cell Set
Helmet covers
Hemet, Nolan X1002
Mesh Jacket, Tourmaster Intake
Kermit Chairs
Kilamajaro Jacket,
Aux Switch Set
Blue tooth & modify cellset
You have but taken the first step of a long and expensive journey, Grasshopper....

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Spoiler and welcome. I too came from a VTX thought would keep the x but only rode it twice in 10 months so I sold it last weekend.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I spent some time looking at other bikes with the stuff installed before laying down the $$. Join your local GWRRA and ask around. Some others will let you sit on their bikes. Riding is another story but sitting is usually safe. The Honda hoot is in Knoxville, TN every spring and will be for the next 3-4 years, I think. Great place to look over all the bling you can stand.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My two favorite and first add-ons were the Utopia back rest and the Kuryakyn heel toe shifter. :D

H

·
0 Posts
Dandy Dave said:
Comfort..

Baker Hand Wings
Baker Air Wings
Better seat w/ backrest or just a backrest

Here's a list of the things I've added over the last 3 years...

Foglights
Headsets

Trunk Rack
Chrome Scuff Covers
Fairing intake vent
Kuryakyin Trunk inserts
Kuryakyin Bag inserts
Air Wings w/ Lowers
Seat back
highway pegs Ergo Dually II
Kury Grips
XM Radio
Hand Wings
Leg Wings
Rack Bag
1/2 Cover
CB Radio
Antenna
Chrome Radiator Grille
Opera Lights
LED Front Fender Accent
Rear Fender Trim
Lighted Mirror Vizor
Baby bumpers
Pak-It rack
Voltmeter
Pivot Cover
LED Front Reflector conversion
Fish Kickstand
Exhaust Turndowns
Bag Liners
GPS
Chrome Lower Cowl
FFE
Fairing Accent
Chrome Timing Chain Cover
Saddlebag Organizers
Clear Turn Signal lenses
Trunk Divider
Trunk Pouch
Spoiler
Cargo Net
Chrome Pass Floorboard covers
Com4 Headset x 2
Spoiler Light run/brake
Turnsignal conversion
Muth Mirrors
Trunk Light Grilles
Saddlebag Light Grilles
Kury Mudflap & mount Kit
Tapered seat bolts
Kury Footpegs
Progressive Fork Springs
Trunk power plug
Key Accent
Fender filler
PIAA Lights
Travelcade Seat
Floorboard Risers
Exigent Seat cover
Windbender
Trunk Light Kit
Leather Jacket
Gerbing Heated Jacket
Heat controller
Coax Connector

Rainsuits

Leather Jacket
Leather Pants

Gebring heated liner
Gebring heated gloves
Heat controller
Jacket, for wife
Ram mounts
Kennedy Cell Set
Helmet covers
Hemet, Nolan X1002
Mesh Jacket, Tourmaster Intake
Kermit Chairs
Kilamajaro Jacket,
Aux Switch Set
Blue tooth & modify cellset
You have but taken the first step of a long and expensive journey, Grasshopper....
How much does your bike weigh now?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Telling you what to get would spoil the fun of discovery! As you do think of things, fire off a question as to the best brand or style. Oftentimes the choice is personal (windshields) but sometimes a consenses forms that one is significantly better than another (fork braces).

The most expensive, major change is a suspension upgrade from Traxxion - the owner of which is a frequent contributer to the board. I'll let Max give you a quote but will say you will get a great deal more mileage from your tires to help offset the price, and everyone says the handling and ride improvements are excellent. I've done the bearing but not the suspension; as soon as I knock down a couple of credit cards...

Speaking of tires, some brilliant experimenters (or idiotic yahoos depending on your opinion) on the board have reported great happiness using a car tire on the rear of a GL1800. So much discussion has been directed at the subject that it has its own area. See "Darksiders" at the bottom of the board.

Enjoy the ride and the discovery! It's fun and when you get your second 'Wing, you'll know exactly what you want on it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Rain clothes - Frogg Toggs are a good bet. Aside from that, I'd ride it a while and see what comes to mind. Some people, like me, found the ergonomics needed upgrade with risers and a backrest. Both were very helpful for long rides. Beyond that, the next best accessory for me was xm radio. Some prefer those little I-pod type deals. A GPS is cool, but i'm still using paper maps. A lot of people like highway pegs. To me they just get in the way.

A good thing is to keep an eye on this board for get-togethers close enough to attend. Looking is cheaper than buying. And you can get some real life testimonials about advantages of various add-ons.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Real2mccoys, welcome and I see you live in the fine city of Salina. If you ever want to go ride let me know, I will be happy to go with ya as I live in Salina also. We will have to get together sometime and you can look at what all I have on my bike. Might help you decide.

Jerry

2,732 Posts
Two things I'd add withhout question

The two things I'd add without question are the Muth Mirrors and the Rear Spoiler with brake light. I'd add those first. I also like the Kury footpegs, the Utopia backrest. Adding GAS and LOTS OF MILES on a regular basis also qualifies as a top add onl!! If you are lucky enough to be able to add a great co-rider, that too is a great add on!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It's such a personal thing. In my case, I added highway pegs and a front fender rail right off the bat, because no bike is complete without 'em. I also recommend a Tulsa belly pan. Oh, and helmet headsets.

But the best thing to do is put a few miles on your ride. The things that you should add should become apparent soon enough. And when you find yourself thinking, "This would be an even better ride if...." chances are that there's an add-on that meets that need.

In any case, welcome to the board!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
As most have stated, wait and little, look around at other wings, ask a lot of questions....most are truthful and will tell you " I'd buy that again :yes1: or don't waste you money on it... :no: ."

I would get the spoiler right away, safety and it does look good. :yes1:

A set of good aux lights in the lower cowling, I went with the EC lights (55wats) and the yellow/amber lens covers, again for safety...want to be seen to oncoming traffic... :yes1:

Most will install some type of drivers back rest for comfort, check around and see what you like and fits you. I have a Krome Werks on the bike now, but it hits me high in the back, have a Utopia and will change it out and sell the Krome Werks..

A lot of the passengers like the arm rests, some don't...again look around, let your wife ride a while without them while checking out other bikes....if you get the comfort package, the rear heated seat controller will determine a lot on arm rests....gets in the way of some.

Most of the other stuff is just farkles and goodies to suit the owner/rider

Luggage racks, I've had three other wings with them, I will not put one on my 07....they look OK, and it's a nice place to mount a flag or a stuffed animal, but what a Pain In The A$$ to clean around.....and they won't hold that much weight anyway... :no: .

Have a large time on you new ride, enjoy and be safe... :D

And We want pictures!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
OH you will enjoy. First take it out to a deserted parking lot and practice slow turns. Right turns are tougher, gas, clutch and foot brake all at once! Then let the other half on and practice somemore! It is easy to spend 30% more of the bikes cost on options, so take it slow and easy! Its all about "YOU", or "her". LOL Passenger does get a lot of wind over 55 mph, so she is not lying when you hear it! The wind divertors do help alot. Mention your height for more ideas of specs. LOL Short or Tail ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts