GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site by accident and we reading some of the posts for the past couple of weeks. Never in a millions years did I think I would post on this site. HOWEVER....

I bought an 2002 Goldwing over the summer. First ADULT bike ever.

Here is the dense part. Where is a great place to take the wife on a week long trip. I am planning to have a week off in July or August, we would like to see the sites and enjoy piece and quite for a change.

Anyone have any suggestions where to go?

Micheal

·
Registered
65 Posts
depends,

What area of the country are you in?

For a first trip, I would plan on only 250 -- 300 miles per day and make it a circular route so that you don't see the same thing twice.

While I've only got a 500 mile per day butt, I know my wife's is even less than that.

Take a weekend trip to test the personal endurances of both. Then plan the week to stay well within the limits. Remember as the week goes on, the daily endurance goes down.

Take care and have fun.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Mike, head out west on I-90 to US20 and then Galena. She'll like Galena and you'll like the ride. When the time gets closer send me a PM and I can direct you to some great scenic roads to and from Galena and up and down the Mississippi River Valley.

Also, I took my wife up to Mackinac Island, MI on our first trip with our '01. Lots of scenery and wife things to see and do up there.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
wingman_micheal said:
Maywood, IL.

At this point wife can only go 50 miles without her butt hurting.
Mike there are some amazing places to ride for a week long trip on a Goldwing, but you need to get your wife's comfort level up quite a few notches. Work on some day long trips and weekend (overnight) trips before you begin to think about tackling a week long trip so you both can cover at least several hundred up to say 500 miles if need be in a day. With a week to get out and back obviously you are only going to get as far away as what you can comfortably handle in a 6 or 7 day period. Ultimately, I would suggest planning a ride through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and visit some of the fantastic sites and National Parks out that way, or think about a trip down to Colorado, Utah and Arizona. I'd suggest California too as we have both some amazing scenery and fantastic roads, but for that we better get a couple of weeks.

Get a National Parks Pass and plan trips to the Parks in your area, they make great trips and rides plus the scenery and things you learn about make the experience all the more worth while.

If you don't get over the comfort level problem, consider some modifications to your seats to achieve greater comfort, or an aftermarket seat manufacturer like Russell Day Long for a more comfortable seat. Many of us can ride all day long and over 1000 miles without too much of a problem and it's not that uncommon to ride 4500 +/- miles on a great motorcycle trip over a weeks time frame. Often, comfort improves with time in the saddle and more frequent riding so see if that helps both of you, but be careful --- it becomes additiive and soon you start thinking of 500 mile rides for a special meal or just lunch.

Good luck

DaleC

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Our first trip together was to Parke County, IN, the Covered Bridge Capital of the world about 250 miles from us. We stayed in a B&B and rode all day Saturday at about 35mph on the roads, stopping a lot to see the bridges. It was a great trip to start our adventures on the Wing.

Good luck, and enjoy the time together!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
before you go anywhere on a week long trip, get your wife on your bike and both of you ride day rides. Start out short rides and build to longer rides. Both of you need to develop ride bodies, getting the butt used to riding. If you do not do this, there is a good chance it will be your wifes last ride and maybe yours too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have taken the bike out a couple of times last summer on long weekend trips. We went to Galena for a weekend, went to Lake Geneva, and went to the Dells. That's how I know that her butt can only handle a 50 mile stretch. I don't know if she watches the odometer :( .

I am gonna get that woman out for a week if it kills me. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
What is her complaint? Maybe some on the board can give you tips on fixing it. I have certainly learned a lot of easy fixes for my wife's complaints, real or imagined.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You might try a sheepskin, just don't get it wet. My better half also complained, tried different things, beads, foam, etc. I still carry the beads but don't use them as much as I use to. She's happy now and can go 500-600 miles a day.

2,732 Posts
This might help also..

This might help also, I found that when we made it a ride with another couple, hopefully a couple who have trip experience, my wife became much more enthusied (sp) about being a "good natured particpant" because there was another gal there to share stories with. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I never ask the wife if she is OK back there and I wear ear plugs. 500 to 750 days not a problem. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Mirage47 said:
I never ask the wife if she is OK back there and I wear ear plugs. 500 to 750 days not a problem. Good luck!!!!

That's the best advice I've seen on this board in a long time!

:clap2:

·
Registered
446 Posts
All of the above suggestions, . . . . . . or

Buy her her own bike and tell her to follow you!!! :D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
POLEMAN, what do you mean by that? I am a LIBRA, although I can not drive a car that well anymore because I spend 95% of my time driving the BIKE. :xmas1: :croc: :biker: :xmas1: :biker: :flg:

G

·
Hi,

We are about 250 miles south of you....

Galena was nice and is a nice day trip for you.

The next step longer is Hannibal, which is also a nice day or overnight trip.

Door County, WI is north of the Dells and has some great riding and great places to stay. the shopping is pretty good, if that's your wife's thing.

Stretching it out some- a ride to the Ozarks is beautiful. Head west, down the river road, west on the "wine route" out of st. louis is a pretty ride.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
try this

Head down to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for the spring wing warm up the 3rd week in April, lotsa nice mountain roads and good scenery.

Take a look at all the custom seats at the ralley.

I have the hartco international seat and like it a lot. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts