1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
All motorcycles must have a tech????? that would eliminate quite a few Hondas off the road.....VTX, Shadows, etc...along with Yamaha, Suzok, Kawi....never pass with that in there....:wrong:

·
Registered
58 Posts
:wrong: That would keep most cruisers off the road in that state. Having a law against loud pipes I could live with that, the rest of the bill is BS

·
Registered
120 Posts
How ironic that such restrictive garbage would come from the "LIVE FREE OR DIE" state. I hope legislators continue to value freedom.:doorag:

·
Registered
643 Posts
The old saying careful what you ask for ...you may get it and a lot more. You know law makers are going to add more to a bill than what was needed.:wrong::popcorn:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Who writes this crap?
The vast majority of people that are sick and tired of having to listen to loud pipes. The tach part is a bit over the top, but I don't think anyone can say they didn't see this coming. By that I mean the rash of legislation outlawing loud pipes.

So far these laws just call for large fines, but I can assure you that someone is going to write one that calls for vehicle forfeiture. None of this will change until people realize that their "rights" end when they start infringing on the "rights" of other.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
All motorcycles must have a tech????? that would eliminate quite a few Hondas off the road.....VTX, Shadows, etc...along with Yamaha, Suzok, Kawi....never pass with that in there....:wrong:
:eek:4: I was getting nervous as to where the SO was going to sit until I read the article and it was TACH.

I can appreciate mg120's comment - afterall, I wouldn't want to have my space invaded just because someone thinks they have the right.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Sounds like the state rep likes Goldwings and Hondas! Maybe she 's thinking that with a tach, the loud pipe gang will know that the bike is running amd won't have to sit at intersections and listen for the brapping sound? Maybe she was in Myrtle Beach? It doesn't look like anything that will affect "us", but~~~~

·
Registered
341 Posts
No Flames please

From the Illinois Motorcycle Operator Manual, April 2008, on page 40, I quote " Muffler - Must be in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. Modification of an exhaust system for the purpose of increasing the noise level is prohibited by law."

Last year the Illinois State Police set up a check point on Route 3, just north of Alton, along the great river road, to check for proper motorcycle license and exhaust systems. They had a flat bed truck and anyone not in compliance had their motorcycle impounded right then and there. You can ride with out a helmet in Illinois, just do it quietly.:p

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because the bikers who put all that money into there motorcycles will not replace there loud pipes and tacks only because it does not fit there style of there bikes that they have and just won't ride in N.H. why take a chance with a $100.00-$500.00 fine

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Good revenue maker, your'e gonna see alot more of this and some real stupid stuff that these guys come up with to make money. Flood your'e legislators mail boxes even if some of it doesn't have anything to do with you

·
Registered
574 Posts
If passed, it will be interesting how bike-week in Laconia goes this June.

·
Registered
730 Posts
What a way to make noney not loose it for both the state and Motorcycle companies... The motorcycle companies will have to add a tach to all new bikes sold in that state....Why you would have to have one god only knows...
Now the other hand the muffler Idea is a good one... Since alot of us know many. many bikes do not have stock mufflers and they are just to loud.... When riding on the highway alot of them you can hear for a very long distance before seeing them and when they are along side of you for any distance you need ear plugs.... I think that is why companies are pushing ear plugs.... One may need them to mow grass, cut trees, weed wack, construction ect. but not to ride a motorcycle..
One would have to see the whole bill be before saying they should shot it down....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in Mass. and ride a Goldwing but i sent a email saying how much i dislike this new proposal.
I can see doing something about those really loud pipes but fining you because you don't have a tack i think thats crazy.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Because the bikers who put all that money into there motorcycles will not replace there loud pipes and tacks only because it does not fit there style of there bikes that they have and just won't ride in N.H. why take a chance with a $100.00-$500.00 fine
I see your point, but if NH needs the revenue and is not receiving it due to this ordinance, why wouldn't NH then just increase revenue some other way? For example, if this ordinance reduces revenue by say $3 million dollars (highly unlikely), couldn't they just increase say, the property mill rate by a few points and make up the difference? I doubt that NH will feel any significant (or insignificant, for that matter) affect on revenue if this law passes. Oh and what is up with the huge red font? ;)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I can see doing something about those really loud pipes but fining you because you don't have a tack i think thats crazy.
Federal law requires that the EPA noise level be measured at 3,400 rpm. Without a tach, it would be difficult to enforce the law. What many people don't get, is that EPA noise level regulations have been in place for many years. What we are witnessing (finally! woot!) is enforcement of those laws. Anyone that modifies an exhaust system by using a non-approved EPA system and then drives on the street is breaking Federal Law.

Fifteen years ago, you didn't hear every single motorcycle riding by, so authorities cut all motorcyclist some slack. Now, since it is apparently illegal to ride a V-Twin with stock pipes, Joe Citizen has had it up to <here> with the noise. Hence the increased enforcement of the Federal Noise regulations.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts