GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I have a 1995 PC800 that I bought new. After it was broken in with whatever Honda put in it when I bought it I drained it it out and went with Mobil 1 Red Cap 15W-50 and for the next 87,000 miles (so far) it still running fine. Using no oil between changes as always. Now then, this other guy has a 1994 PC that he got a few months before I got mine and has used Hondaline Oils in it since new changing it at 8,000 miles and his bike is now according to him burning oil enough that between changes that he now has to add at least a quart or more between changes. He claims that because I change mine more often with a synthetic oil that should not have made any difference in it. And his bike has 8,000 less miles than my bike too. And both bikes were ridden the very same as we rode together many a mile.

What do you guys think? Maybe not enough for a sure proper testing but I cant help that is leading to synthetic oil lasting longer than dead dinos.

·
Banned
939 Posts
In my photo album I describe my '94 PC 800 this way:

Write Honda a letter and tell them to bring back a new Pacific Coast 800.
If the ever do I am buying 2 of them!

I have 147K on my ‘94 and although she is a bit tired in the suspension department and could use a new front end. She has never refused a task.

I do not run synthetic in her but have twisted her filter every 3K. Do not add a drop between changes.
Well, maybe a half of cup between the last few changes as we have been prowling around after hours as too make sure she does not get too lonely now and then.

She is developing some serious jealousy issues with her yellow big sister though!

Might be because we do not spend as much quality time together as we did back in our glory days.

She still turns heads and gets the questions when we ride around town.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wish I had never let go of my pacific coast. It was my first bike. An '89. The only year they made it in white. As far as I know. Then I had a harley 03 police bike. White. (Sold it cause parts started falling off at 30K). But I rode the sh$! out of that Pacific Coast. Now I have an '08 white wing. Nothing but white bikes so far. But I'm only 28 so YMMV. You didn't mention how often you changed your oil but synthetic is better stuff. Period. Amsoil especially. Since were starting an oil thread here.

By the way, I miss Tim Vipond as much as everyone else around here. Last time I emailed him his conjecture was that he was banned from here because he could no longer log on and post replys. Sounded strange to me. However he is still my listed dealer as I'm a preferred member of the evil pyramid scheme, or whatever the naysayers call it. I wanted to make sure he got his cut, even though I buy at the wholesale price. Which is cheaper than Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc.

Hows that for kicking the oil thread in the right direction..

Flame suit on...

Fire extinguisher ready...:popcorn:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Section168 your bike minus the pinstriping looks a lot like mine- clear down to the rack for a Givi box. Looks like you got Saeng edgeing on your windshield too. No backrest on mine but used to have a Russell saddle on it. Man, what a comfy bike that was! Put over 70,000 miles on her in 5 years. Not so much anymore, alas.

Almost 3 years ago I bought another PC this one being a low milage '90 but have decided to sell it after buying my Goldwing. I hate leaving it in storage and only riding it a few times a years.

I guess that as long as I keep changing my oil when I do I should some day get twice the miles that I have on it now. And it's still fun to ride. Why get rid of such a fine bike anway?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
It would be nice if Honda brought back the Pacific Coast 800, they probably would sell more of them than the strange looking DN-1. The PC800 I call them 'Baby' Goldwings, that's what they look like to me.
I believe that regular oil changes and maintenance prolong engine life and I modify the recommended schedule to rough or severe use with stop and go city riding or short rides.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hey Guys

I have a 1995 PC800 that I bought new. After it was broken in with whatever Honda put in it when I bought it I drained it it out and went with Mobil 1 Red Cap 15W-50 and for the next 87,000 miles (so far) it still running fine. Using no oil between changes as always. Now then, this other guy has a 1994 PC that he got a few months before I got mine and has used Hondaline Oils in it since new changing it at 8,000 miles and his bike is now according to him burning oil enough that between changes that he now has to add at least a quart or more between changes. He claims that because I change mine more often with a synthetic oil that should not have made any difference in it. And his bike has 8,000 less miles than my bike too. And both bikes were ridden the very same as we rode together many a mile.

What do you guys think? Maybe not enough for a sure proper testing but I cant help that is leading to synthetic oil lasting longer than dead dinos.
You are right most synthentic oil are rated for 10,000 or more miles..some I have seen are rated for 15000 between changes...Plus synthentic oils do not have a shelf life as dino oil...Shelf life thing is something I learned from the oil company we do work for..

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Hey Guys

So at 79,000;
He changes at 8,000, uses dino and is burning a quart in 8,000, not terrible, but it is a one-way street.
You are using synthetic and changing at 3,000 and not burning oil at 87,000.
You are taking better care of your bike than he is and it is lasting longer, as expected. You are also spending more money on maintenance because you want to. FWIW, I'm like you.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
You are right most synthentic oil are rated for 10,000 or more miles..some I have seen are rated for 15000 between changes...Plus synthentic oils do not have a shelf life as dino oil...Shelf life thing is something I learned from the oil company we do work for..
Was not aware that dino oil had a shelf life. Are you saying that an unopened container of dino oil has a shelf life, and if so how long? Curious minds would like to know.;)
Thanks

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Rustydust, No it doesn't really tell you anything, although I do understand the logic.

Here are a couple of things to think about.

There are many things that can cause oil consumption. Without doing a number of tests to determine the cause of the oil loss, it is impossible to blame it on anything. On a 17 year old bike, my first guess would be that the valve stem seals are going bad. Ask your friend if he has ever noticed a puff of smoke out the exhaust when he starts the bike up each morning. He would have to consciously look behind the bike when he starts it, because most riders won't notice it otherwise. If he notices the puff of smoke, his valve stem seals are seeping, and that is the cause for his oil consumption. It's not a huge problem unless it gets worse. And it probably isn't caused by the oil drain interval.

My bike has burned a half quart of oil in 8000 miles since it was new, and many Wing owners experience 1/2 to 1 quart between oil changes. It's normal and just a difference in tolerances between bikes.

I go 8K between intervals, but I would never go more than a year. With the numbers you gave, he is going nearly 2 years between oil changes.

You could take two identical bikes and maintain them equally, and one of them may still fail long before the other one does.

A quart of oil between changes on an 800cc bike with 80,000 miles on it doesn't hit my panic button.

There is a lot of compelling evidence that synthetic does reduce wear, and your engine may last longer than his. But both engines will probably last a very long time. The oil consumption by itself is not a sign that the engine is in the twilight of its life.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Was not aware that dino oil had a shelf life. Are you saying that an unopened container of dino oil has a shelf life, and if so how long? Curious minds would like to know.;)
Thanks
Yes there is a shelf life on dino oil..Life is determined by what is added to the oil and where the beginning crude is from and how it is stored...There are many grades of crude.. There is alot of truth when you here company's bragging about using Penn Grade Crude and being the best..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes there is a shelf life on dino oil..Life is determined by what is added to the oil and where the beginning crude is from and how it is stored...There are many grades of crude.. There is alot of truth when you here company's bragging about using Penn Grade Crude and being the best..
Dino has a 5 year shelf life if unopened.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like to change my oil after every long trip, filter every time too! That is how I did my '08. Now I have a 2012 with only 600 miles on her. I will be switching over to synthetic after about 3000 miles or so!:p

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Someone posted that Honda is recommending 4,000 mile change interval on the 2012 models. Anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Someone posted that Honda is recommending 4,000 mile change interval on the 2012 models. Anyone know if that is true?
Still the same, 4000 for the first the every 8000 after that per schedule

·
Registered
18 Posts
4,000 mile service

My owners manual states the service mileage is now 4,000 miles. My 2008 was 8,000 miles. I will be happy to email you a copy of the page if you like. I did try follow the 8,000 mile program with my 2008 and at 20,000 miles had it in for service. The Service Manager at Garvis Honda in Dsm noticed a noise coming from my engine. I did not notice it because i'm a little hard hearing. He thought it was the alternator and advised me to fix it while under warranty. They tore it down and it ended up being the primary gear and clutch basket gear. I had heard there was a few of these gears failing but didn't know why. I had used 20w50 Amsoil and Honda filters. My bike had not been abused. Other than hauling me,my wife and a Aluma MCT around it had had the good life. I wondered what else was about to wear out so i traded up to a 2012. No more long service for me! If you want to go the long service route and save a few bucks a year ,that's your business. Honda didn't drop the mileage by half for no reason.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The motor is unchanged from previous years and now the interval is 4k miles? This lends some credibility to my statement in another thread that Honda doesn't spend a whole lot of time studying the oil when they develop a motor.

My owners manual states the service mileage is now 4,000 miles. My 2008 was 8,000 miles. I will be happy to email you a copy of the page if you like. I did try follow the 8,000 mile program with my 2008 and at 20,000 miles had it in for service. The Service Manager at Garvis Honda in Dsm noticed a noise coming from my engine. I did not notice it because i'm a little hard hearing. He thought it was the alternator and advised me to fix it while under warranty. They tore it down and it ended up being the primary gear and clutch basket gear. I had heard there was a few of these gears failing but didn't know why. I had used 20w50 Amsoil and Honda filters. My bike had not been abused. Other than hauling me,my wife and a Aluma MCT around it had had the good life. I wondered what else was about to wear out so i traded up to a 2012. No more long service for me! If you want to go the long service route and save a few bucks a year ,that's your business. Honda didn't drop the mileage by half for no reason.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
As others have stated, look at your maintenance schedule again. I am not calling you a liar, but many people in the past few years have stated that the interval changed to 4K, and it had not. Honda does recommend 4000 miles for the first change. But I think you will find that subsequent changes are at 8000 mile intervals. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.

With only 20K miles, there is nothing that could wear that fast due to oil change intervals. You had a part failure, not a wear problem.

Tom from this board had over 300,000 miles on his GL1800, changed his oil every 8K, and used run of the mill dino oil without ever having an internal engine or transmission failure. When he sold it, it sill ran like a new bike. You can't ask for any more out of your oil than that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts