GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to install risers and ran into a roadblock. The plastic cover that has 2 screws holding it on are hidden by a bracket that attaches to the nav screen. Do I need to remove the nav screen along with all the intruments, or is there a trick? Thanks in advance.
IMG_0005.jpg

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
Remove the two bottom bolts of the nav screen. That will allow you to lift it out of the way. I hang mine, from the bottom, with a bungee to the windshield. Can't beleive you got the risers on without moving it! :shock:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Plastic Cover

When my forks were converted to Traxxion, I threw away the plastic cover.

Never gave it a second thought about putting it back on when I installed my own set of MBL risers recently.

Are you sure you really need to modify it / put it back on?

Just my .02 opinion.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Turn the handlebars all the way to the left. That should allow you access to one of the screws. Then turn the handlebars all the way to the right. That will give you access to the other screw and you can remove/replace the cover.:thumbup:

I am attempting to install risers and ran into a roadblock. The plastic cover that has 2 screws holding it on are hidden by a bracket that attaches to the nav screen. Do I need to remove the nav screen along with all the intruments, or is there a trick? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 51095

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turn the handlebars all the way to the left. That should allow you access to one of the screws. Then turn the handlebars all the way to the right. That will give you access to the other screw and you can remove/replace the cover.:thumbup:
After I started this thread, I drove to Ace Hardware and bought a small rachet phillips that allowed me loosen the 2 screws, then I turned the bars all the way each direction and finished removing the screws with a #2 phillips screwdriver - I don't have any JIS drivers yet.
When my forks were converted to Traxxion, I threw away the plastic cover. Never gave it a second thought about putting it back on when I installed my own set of MBL risers recently.
Are you sure you really need to modify it / put it back on? Just my .02 opinion.
I thought I'd try the modification, and if I fail, no big deal, I'll just toss it.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
BIKE WILL LOOK TERRIBLE WITHOUT COVER THAT YOU CAN HARDLY SEE. I PUT RISERS ON 4 YRS AGO AND DIDNT PUT ON COVER. FORGOT TO.!! DID FRONT END REBUILD AND THOUGHT GOOD TIME TO PUT BACK . IT FLIES THRU THE AIR JUST LIKE A BOOMERANG ( THAT DOESNT COME BACK ) :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Refresh my memory but I believe there is some trimming of the plastic cover necessary to get it to fit, or use longer screws to hold it in place. I chose the latter.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Mine is sitting on the shelf in the garage.:shrug:

That is where mine was for a couple of years. Then somebody in the Dallas area posted here wanting to buy one. Took me a week to find the plastic tub I threw mine in. "Sold" it to him for the cost of shipping - to be paid with cold drinks. That reminds me ... Somebody in the Dallas area still owes me!!!

For riser access, as best I recall, I remove the four bolts holding the Nav and meter panel, lifted out just a little, then tilted up toward the shield and holding it there with a bungie.

When going back together, double check the two big plugs on the backside before setting the meter panel back in. (Somebody bust knuckles on the head of the engineer that cut those wires so short!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts