GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,
I got the MBL riser kit today and am going to put them on tomorrow. Any words of wisdom or tips before I get started?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Phil,

Ask Gary (Gary & Mikey). He installed them and I believe that he did a small modification.

Gary is a great guy and I am sure he would share with you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Be careful unsnapping the wire under the meter panel. Don't forget to plug them back in on the reinstall.

Don't drop the Allen head bolts by the speakers down in the fairing.

Lay something on the top shelter to protect it from the handlebars.

You don't have to notch the black cover. Just leave it off. You may want to reinstall it someday without the risers.

Make sure the speaker grilles are snapped in properly. Give them a good push at the bottom after you think they are right.

Enjoy! Now you can reposition your backrest further back if you have one.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I didn't notch the plastic cover, I used plastic tube spacers cut from a bic-like pen, 3/4" long, and used longer screws. Use a pen that is more rigid than bic. I also put anti-sieze on all the threads. Someone had some risers to give away on the classifieds, and said that one of the bolts came out with the threads, so that's why I used the anti-sieze.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wingman said:
Be careful unsnapping the wire under the meter panel. Don't forget to plug them back in on the reinstall.

Don't drop the Allen head bolts by the speakers down in the fairing.

Lay something on the top shelter to protect it from the handlebars.

You don't have to notch the black cover. Just leave it off. You may want to reinstall it someday without the risers.

Make sure the speaker grilles are snapped in properly. Give them a good push at the bottom after you think they are right.

Enjoy! Now you can reposition your backrest further back if you have one.
Wow! Thanks for all of the tips. I wouldn't have thought about protecting the top shelter until it was too late and not putting the cover back on...

Thanks Wingman!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Pics

wingnutzz said:
Just forwarded pics and insructions to you.
I'll keep my eyes openned. Haven't seen them yet.

Thanks for the High Country link. I just emailed Randy to see if being a Gold Wing owner would keep me out of the group.. :lol: Talk about an active group!! Man, lot's of rides, etc. Beats GWRRA Arvada chapter all over the place! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Additional MBL Riser Installation -- Instructons and Photos

The e-mail got returned as I guess it was too big for HOTMAIL. So, I just uploaded them to my space on Big Bike Riders and will include the links below. These additional instructions and photos are courtesy of Joe Shoemaker -- he did a good job. I was uploading other pics to the the BBR area so will only leave these here for a week or so, so if anyone wants them, you need to store them off on your computer.

#1shows unhooking throttle cables from under handlebar
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/501/14MBL_1.JPG

#2shows removing bolts
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/501/14MBL_2.JPG

#3shows pulling back lines and hoses
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/501/14MBL_3.JPG

#4shows were to zip tie throttle cables
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/501/14MBL_4.JPG

#5 Depending on who you got your risers from, you will either see a veru similiar photo in the package or the instructions will tell you the cover can not be reused. This photo shows how to measure and cut the triple tree cover.
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/501/14MBL_5.JPG

#6 shows the cover after cutting.
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/501/14MBL_6.JPG

#7 shows the cover reinstalled on the bike with the new risers.
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/501/14MBL_7.JPG

·
Registered
116 Posts
MBL RISERS

Thanks Wingnutzz. I'm going to install the MBL's and your pics will make it a piece of cake. Piper

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
None that I not

No reasons that I know. Joe told me that MBL has his pics/instrs and will be including them in future releases.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: None that I not

wingnutzz said:
No reasons that I know. Joe told me that MBL has his pics/instrs and will be including them in future releases.
I wish they would have done that with the set I got. The instructions aren't bad, if you already taken your Wing apart and are used to this... Besides, color makes a BIG difference when it comes to detail and their pictures are in black and white.

Thanks a bunch Dave. Gotta finish my coffee and get out to that cold garage to get started... think I'll fire up the old kerosene heater for a while first. :twisted:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay,
Sorry about this, one more question. How does the 4P connector disconnect? Before I get too agressive and break something, none of the instructions cover that. Is there a release? Does it pull out to the right? Left? Forward?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
pgreen7436 said:
Okay,
Sorry about this, one more question. How does the 4P connector disconnect? Before I get too agressive and break something, none of the instructions cover that. Is there a release? Does it pull out to the right? Left? Forward?

Thanks in advance.
On the side of the connector is a catch which can be released with the help of a small screwdriver. (I can't remember if it releases 'in' or 'out' at this time)

When the connector is out some people file down the catch so it's easier in the future.

Important: do not pull on the wires!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Take a flash light and look in from the throttle side. The catch is on the side of the connector toward the front of the bike. You have to take a small screwdriver and gently pry out on the part that remains on the bike. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wingnutzz,

Thanks for the photos. My risers are on order from Hal.

Hi guys and gals. I have been a member since 2002 when I sold my Valk and got an 1800. I finally decided to get back on but I've been reading along all this time. :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. Especially Wingnutzz!

It took about one hour (mostly 'cause I'm slow and did a lot of checking and re-checking) but wasn't too bad once I got the pictures in color in front of me and got the help on the 4P connector. Everything is back together and working correctly. One interesting point to me is that the gromets for the throttle cable, brakes and clutch are never moved and "re-installed". I know this won't really cause any problems, just strange...

Now, if it will just warm up and melt the 6 inches or so of snow that we got, I can go try them out!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks everyone. I printed the pictures and the job makes a lot more sense now. The instructions I got with the kit were pretty sparse and the black and white photo was just about worthless. With the color photos and tips from everyone, I feel a lot more confident that the job will go smoothly.

I previously installed the V & P risers so having that experience will also make this job easier.

One thing no one discussed was how the round plastic caps provided with the kit are to be used. I'm guessing they are to go over the bolts that are still exposed after the plastic cover is notched and reinstalled.

Thanks again to everyone,
Ed Johnson
Mechanicsburg, PA

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ed Johnson said:
One thing no one discussed was how the round plastic caps provided with the kit are to be used. I'm guessing they are to go over the bolts that are still exposed after the plastic cover is notched and reinstalled.

Thanks again to everyone,
Ed Johnson
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ed,
Yes. I took the stock cover off the fork tops and set it aside with the original bolts in case I ever want to move these to new '06... I mean, another 1800 :twisted:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts