GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondring if anybody else has had this problem.

When I turn the handlebars almost all the way to the left or right, I noticed that is it hitting the bottom of the display. On a scale of 1 to 10 and 1 being the start of the turning process and 10 being all the way. This starts about 7 or 8. The only time that it is noticeable would be in tight turns like parking lot or something like that. I hear a light noise and the display lifting a little.

Other than this, I do like these riser. I went on a 150 mile today in the local area and no problems with my wrist. I do not think the above problem is a biggie. Seems like a simple fix whatever it may be. I had Maurice from MBL do the install.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine hits also. Oh well, a small problem considering some other issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did you trim the stock plastic cover? If not it will be too high and rub.
Just a thought. Love mine, no rub.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dhbgl1800 said:
Did you trim the stock plastic cover? If not it will be too high and rub.
Just a thought. Love mine, no rub.
Huh? I didn't know I was supposed to do that. How?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry I can't show you a picture but here goes with an explantion: When you remove the plastic shield (two small philips head screws holding it down) you will notice on the back side moulding marks like small ridges. Look at the ones that would normally be in the position to protect and cover the stem bolts, they taper top wider and bottom narrower.

With the black plastic cover upside down take a quarter (tewnty five cent coin)and position it 1" up from the bottom of the the narrower taper of the ridges and center the coin. Draw a line around the coin 1"up and centered .

Now take a straight edge and draw two(2) lines that go from the outside edge of the coin to the the tip of the ridge at its widest point on each side, and cut out what you have outlined.

It might be a little difficult to understand because of my wording but if you look at the very tip of the handlebars you will see that the plastic needs to be cut away to fit the new position of the handlebars.

I used a hole saw and a set of heavy duty wire cutters or you could use tin snips.

Did my best to explain, if you look and reposition the plastic cover my explanition starts to make sense. Also the 2 plastic plugs that are supplied are to cover the 2 cutouts on the handlebars which now are exposed because they are moved back.

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that he trimed something down. I think it is what you are talking about. It is a cover underneath the display(thinks). Sometimes it hard for me to understand what someone is saying without pictures. It isnt a hard hit, but dont want nothing messing up either. It might be good as a reminder before I turn the handlebars all the way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
risers

Buck Yellow Wing said he got two plastic plugs in his MBL kit for the exposed hole in the handlebars. Guess I will be calling Hal Monday to get mine. My bars do not rub the dash and the MBL risers are GREAT GREAT GREAT.

·
Registered
267 Posts
hmmm my kit did not say to cut anything out and did not come with plastic plugs either.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Andy M

Thank you so much for you excellent photo.

How true, a picture is worth a thousand words. :clap2:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Andy M

Thank you so much for you excellent photo.

How true, a picture is worth a thousand words. :clap2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took a different approach and used 3/4" spacers and longer screws to allow the cover to lay flat across the handlebars. No cutting of the cover or scraping on my bike, yours may be different. Darkwing 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts