GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to Joe Shoemaker. I just purchased the MBL risers (hope to install them soon) and I thought the instructions were pretty weak. I found a previous message were Joe had offered to send some pictures to someone, so I e-mailed him to see if I could get them also.

Well, Joe e-mailed them to me and they are really GREAT. Step-by-step photos with instructions on each. He has sent them to MBL and hopefully they will incorporate them into their instructions for the future. Joe: Great Job!

These are examples of some of the tips that we can share with each other -- thus simplifying such installations and helping us to avoid mistakes (unless you are like me and will make them anyway)!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds interesting. I'm planning to install a set of the MBL risers Christmas and also felt the MBL instructions were kinda weak. Can you point me to the series of instructions you used - OR perhaps even e-mail them to me? k9fv at myrealbox dot com will work nicely and hopefully fool some of the bots crawling the web looking for valid e-mail addresses to send spam to.

Thanks,

Ken H>

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
MBL Risers

I also have the MBL risers sitting in the garage awaiting installation. It would be very nice to have the infomation you related to in your post. Could you provide a link to the info and photos? Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post.

I installed the MBL risers very recently and boy, do they make a difference!

You could say that I am NOT very mechanically inclined but when I got my '03 Black Goldwing, I decided that I would try and do as much as I could on my own to learn and save some $$$.

I even found somebody in my area that had installed these on their bike and he was kind enough to offer to help me install them.

My new friend was to come over on Saturday morning and help me install the risers. However, I got curious and antsy and decided to get started without him.

I very carefully read, re-read, read and re-read every single instruction before going on to the next step. I carefully looked at the pictures in the instructions. I looked at them over and over again.

By the time my new friend arrived on Saturday, I had the right handle bar finished. I had even purchased a torque wrench so that I stayed within spec of the shop manual and the directions from MBL when tightening all the bolts.

It took another 10 minutes to finish the left handlebar and we were done!

NOTE: There is one little trick that my friend showed me that saved time and worked much better than the instructions from MBL.

Instead of "cutting" out the spaces as indicated (using a quarter for the shape), my friend brought plastic spacers with him that fit the space between the black cover and the risers. It eliminated having to cut the cover and it looks great! The spacers are very common white plastic and are probably about 1/4" to 3/8" tall. Get the matching bolts for the spacers.

Try that and it will finish the installation quite nicely.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ EVERYTHING 4 TIMES!!

If I can do it, you can do it. Trust me, it's a lot easier than it looks.

Good luck!

Woody

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed a Utopia backrest and while its comfortable I feel if I could move the handlebars closer to me it would be better. Anyone with instructions or experience with these a reply would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rex

·
Registered
6 Posts
MBL Risers

Thanks Wingnutzz for the nice words. I took the photos and made them available to assist with the installation of a great product. MBL has updated the instructions with photos so depending on when and from whom you purchased yours, you may have photos. You can also get good advise and answers to all your questions directly from MBL. www.mblinnovations.com or 888-591-8114
Joe

·
Registered
707 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the photos and instructions for installing these risers? The instructions that came with the risers seem to leave a bit to be desired...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Why are some of you YELLING?

·
Registered
326 Posts
What is the difference in the two sets of MBL risers that are sold?

·
Banned
334 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the photos and instructions for installing these risers? The instructions that came with the risers seem to leave a bit to be desired...
:agree: or if they can be posted somewhere on here. I am about to order a set and could really use the info and pics.

·
Registered
507 Posts

One set brings the bars back and they remain the same width. The other set brings them back the same distance but they are closer together . I had the ones that moved them closer and my hands went numb after a while. Put on the ones that kept the same width and all is well. One of the best things that I have added to the wing. No more back and shoulder aches after riding a while. Pat

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

One set brings the bars back and they remain the same width. The other set brings them back the same distance but they are closer together . I had the ones that moved them closer and my hands went numb after a while. Put on the ones that kept the same width and all is well. One of the best things that I have added to the wing. No more back and shoulder aches after riding a while. Pat
Same here.
I just installed mine a couple of days ago.
Best investment since a CT.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Same here.
I just installed mine a couple of days ago.
Best investment since a CT.
Just got delivery of my second CT. A Dunlop SP3000 Run Flat. Got a second spare rim off Ebay for $35 plus $15 shipping to be delivered tomorrow. Now I have two spares-one with a new D-250( if I ever use it) and on with a new CT. I have about 8000 miles on the Dunlop SP 3000 on it now with about 5/32nds left on it. Going to key West end of Sept and will put the new spare CT on for the trip. When I get back I will put the CT with8000 miles on and wear it out locally. Pat

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I will not shout. :lol: The MBL risers do just that,they raise the bars up. One set will bring the bars up-back- and in. The other will just bring the bars up and back. When sitting on the bike, in a riding position, the lower fore arms should be parralell to the ground in a semi relaxed position. If you are having to reach out and down for the bars, your shoulders will begin to ache after an extended period of time. I have installed a lot of the risers, both types and the owners love them. I installed them 5 years ago on my 1800 and have ridden over 800 miles in a day pulling my trailer and had absolutely no ache at all. :coffee1:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I made one long distance trip without any bar risers and I will NEVER do that again! The two most useful and valuable accessories on my bike have to be the MBL risers and the Utopia backrest.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I will ask again. Does anyone know where I can find the instructions (with photos) for installing the risers? The original post to this thread indicated there were such instructions posted somewhere.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I will ask again. Does anyone know where I can find the instructions (with photos) for installing the risers? The original post to this thread indicated there were such instructions posted somewhere.
OK, but keep it quite. Most of this kind of stuff is top secrete and can only be found in the step-by-step sub-board. Via the Step-by-step board I found this......
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/risers.htm

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
OK, but keep it quite. Most of this kind of stuff is top secrete and can only be found in the step-by-step sub-board. Via the Step-by-step board I found this......
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/risers.htm
Not really the MBL Risers but will probably work as photo instructions go. I too thought the MBL instructions were a little lame but followed them closely and with a little mechanical knowledge can be accomplished quit easily.
If you have a 'below average' mechanical ability... the instructions are... lame. :popcorn:
I really like the product (the MBL's) though and wouldn't have the 'adjustable' ones from Hal's. Just my opinion, they may be great in other folks eyes.
Also, Hal doesn't carry the ones from MBL. :shrug:
Larry K. (aka: thecruiser)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts