GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here installed these? I am 5-7, 150 and the stock bars on my GL1800 force me to lean forward to much for long comfort. I see these narrow, raise, and move rearward the grips. Do they really help? How hard are they to install? I have never torn into anything on my wing yet, as have only had since late August and been riding instead of installing things. I have the Honda manual, but sure seems hard to understand some things in there. Any helpful suggestions? thanks Harry

·
Registered
264 Posts
Harry, I have the risers but have not put them on yet. I did install the V&P risers a couple of years ago and that was not a hard job. I have Word document with photos of the MBL install. It's about 500 kb. I will send it to you via e-mail. I got the pictures from Wingnutzz, who got them from another rider. Hope they help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Harry
I bought the risers at the Hoot last year and installed them in the motel parking lot. It took me about an hour riding to get used to them but now I would not be without them. They will help your shoulders, and let you lean back during riding, like being in a rocking chair.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Harry, I put them on my bike a couple weeks ago, and have a couple hundred miles on the bike since then. I noticed right off that my back/shoulders didn't start hurting as before, but I did notice that my right wrist got a bit sore after a while. I've adjusted the way I rest my hand on the throttle now.

As far as putting them on, it's a snap. The included pix aren't very good. I also didn't cut the plastic cover, I used spacers made from a bic-like pen to fill the space with longer screws.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Got 'em and like 'em

funny how such a minor thing makes a difference. One of those no-brainers for those of us who are shorter.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Andy M said:
Harry, I have the risers but have not put them on yet. I did install the V&P risers a couple of years ago and that was not a hard job. I have Word document with photos of the MBL install. It's about 500 kb. I will send it to you via e-mail. I got the pictures from Wingnutzz, who got them from another rider. Hope they help.
How 'bout just posting the Word document and we can save to our computers?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here ya go. The photos are posted on Big bike Riders under the member name of Amac if you need to see them in a larger size. I did not take these photo's and I do not remember the name of the gentleman who did. He deserves the credit.....Wingnutzz, if you read this post would you please post the name of the person who deserves the photo credit?

Subject: Riser photos.

#1shows unhooking throttle cables from under handlebar

#2shows removing bolts

#3shows pulling back lines and hoses

#4shows were to zip tie throttle cables

#5 Depending on who you got your risers from, you will either see a very similar photo in the package or the instructions will tell you the cover can not be reused. This photo shows how to measure and cut the triple tree cover.

#6 shows the cover after cutting.

#7 shows the cover reinstalled on the bike with the new risers.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
thanks for the photos

can someone tell me how much higher and how much back toward the rider does this make the bars

thanks

loren

·
Registered
7 Posts
Harry,
I installed them on my wing about 6 months ago and they do exactly what I expected them to do. I'm also 5'7 and about 160lbs. I found that before I had them, I would have to lean forward and on long rides would suffer with pain between my shoulders. After installing, took a ride from Cucamonga, Ca up the coast highway into Oregon and back. Didn't have any problems with back aches etc. They do take just a short time to get used to as they bring the bars back and up and the distance between the bars is slightly reduced. Very easy install also. I'm very pleased with this purchase and would recommend to anyone that needs the position of the bars changed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just got mine on Friday. Unfortunatley the was no hardware supplied :( .So I am now waiting till next weekend to do the install. Hopefully I get the missing parts early in the week, that way I might be able to get it done after work rather than waste a ridding day :p . HINT HINT.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Jimmie said:
Just got mine on Friday. Unfortunatley the was no hardware supplied :( .So I am now waiting till next weekend to do the install. Hopefully I get the missing parts early in the week, that way I might be able to get it done after work rather than waste a ridding day :p . HINT HINT.
Make that a riding hour. [If you take your time.] 8)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all who responded and to Andy for the pics. Think they will help a lot. Now to get my order into Hal for these and the Tulsa belly pan. Harry

·
Registered
5 Posts
1800 Bar Risers

Great pictures, thanks to Andy M and whoever took original's. Have thought a lot about installing these, two points:

What about insurance implications? I guess this type of addition is classed as a modification to the vehicle and we all know the problems this causes,

and

Once you have modified the plastic cover how do you improve the look? Black PVC Insulation tape acrros the slot?

Tony M

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a set of MBL's if anyone is interested, for a fair price.
I have VP's but not instructions for the mbl's Joy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Harry,
I had them installed at Daytona and they make a huge difference. They move the bars back toward the rider around 1 3/4 ", the bars are also brought in. I don't remember the exact specifications, but if you email MDL they can provide them for you. I am 5"6 and weigh 130 and the difference in riding back to Richmond with them installed as unbelievable. . I now ride more upright and no more pain in the wrists or shoulder blades. The folks at MBL were great. You will love the risers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts