GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the risers tonight, pretty straightforward job, but it was my first experience doing anything other than a few add ons. I like the fit and finish of this bike compared to others I've owned. The MBL set you can tell is not some mass produced product it fit perfectly. I hope the ride is as positive as the product itself...give my opinion after a long ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just ordered a set for my 2008 GL1800. I have the dash/speaker trim off, and removed the plastic piece covering the bolts on the sock handlebars. There were two metal brackets (that the meter panel bolts to) that go right over the 2 screws that hold the plastic piece on. Did you replace that piece covering the handlebar bolts, and if so, was getting the screws back on difficult? It seems the only was to remove the bracket was to remove the shelter and get at two more bolts. Thanks for your input.

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
I just ordered a set for my 2008 GL1800. I have the dash/speaker trim off, and removed the plastic piece covering the bolts on the sock handlebars. There were two metal brackets (that the meter panel bolts to) that go right over the 2 screws that hold the plastic piece on. Did you replace that piece covering the handlebar bolts, and if so, was getting the screws back on difficult? It seems the only was to remove the bracket was to remove the shelter and get at two more bolts. Thanks for your input.
No need to touch the shelter to install MBL risers. Remove the bolts from you display unit and hang it from the windshield. I never reinstall the plastic piece that covers the bolts.

Sent from iPhone

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
usually the plastic piece wont fit :shrug::shrug: tell people you like the chrome of the fork bolts :bow::bow:;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks like the kit includes "covers" for the new hardware, so the plastic trim is not needed. Just trying to get an idea what other people have done.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Installed the risers tonight, pretty straightforward job, but it was my first experience doing anything other than a few add ons. I like the fit and finish of this bike compared to others I've owned. The MBL set you can tell is not some mass produced product it fit perfectly. I hope the ride is as positive as the product itself...give my opinion after a long ride.
The kit includes 4 caps to cover the bolts holes and the instructions show you how to trim the plastic cover if you want to use it with the risers.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
When you reinstall the black, plastic cover you'll need to trim it according to the instructions that came with your MBL risers to make it fit. When I installed mine, I rode it without the plastic cover for a couple of months. When I decided that I was going to keep the risers, I cut the plastic and re-installed. I think it looks better with the plastic cover installed (but it's certainly not necessary).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the other guys said I just used my Dremel to cut and smooth the plastic cover. Didn't feel like pulling stuff back off in case I didn't like the look without it.

I was also trying to finish in time to see the Penguins squander a 3-1 lead in the series with the Rangers...oh the shame.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used a 1 inch hole saw on the drill press to cut the plastic piece, then trimmed with shears. A clean cut and only took a couple of minutes.

Edited to correct size of hole saw.

·
Registered
327 Posts
MBL's

Love those MBL's!!!!! They were the first thing I added to my 05' when I got it. :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just curious, how tall are you? I'm 5" 10" and can't wait to install them. I'll be able to sit back a little, I really never thought about how much I was leaning forward.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just installed theses last night. Was straight forward and easy install. I did go ahead a cut and replace the cover. I think it will make a huge difference in comfort

·
Registered
374 Posts
I also really like the MBL risers:thumbup:

I trimmed the plastic to fit back on after installation- only took a few minutes and looks better IMHO

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I also really like the MBL risers:thumbup:

I trimmed the plastic to fit back on after installation- only took a few minutes and looks better IMHO
Same here. My only complaint is that the black oxide finish on the bolts rusts up very quickly. You might want to slather a little Vaseline on the bolt heads after installation.

Sent from my 16 core, dual 27 inch display workstation because I am screwing around instead of working.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed the MBL risers two days ago, rain stopped, and took the bike out. Big improvement. I'm not leaning forward with outstretched arms. Now a more relaxed riding position. Left the plastic trim piece off.......looked like a waste of time to trim and install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you reinstall the black, plastic cover you'll need to trim it according to the instructions that came with your MBL risers to make it fit. When I installed mine, I rode it without the plastic cover for a couple of months. When I decided that I was going to keep the risers, I cut the plastic and re-installed. I think it looks better with the plastic cover installed (but it's certainly not necessary).
I just installed the MBL Risers and so far I like them as I'm 5'8 and I was leaning forward and getting that shoulder pain. I didn't cut the plastic cover as I found longer allan head screws with a small washer has worked so far . I will test them out further Friday as I'm doing a 120 mile run with a friend for a lunch run.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts