GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife on her trike, a friend on his trike and me on my bike decided to loop out into the Smokeys before heading back to Arkansas. While riding outside of Gatlinburg in the Park we rounded a corner crossing a bridge and people were out in the road waving their arms getting everyone to stop. Ahead we could see a Blue Suzuki CR that was "CRASHED". When I say CRASHED, I mean the handle bars were even torn off and there was plastic everywhere! There were already 6 to 8 cars stopped, then us on our bikes, all looking for the rider. Some even way out in the woods, even under the bridge, when someone yelled he is in the Red SUV ahead. "He is NOT HURT"!!

It was truely amazing!! He was going into a right turn and the same Red Cadillac Escalade he was later sitting in was headed the opposite direction. There was a bit of water flowing across the road due to that mornings rain, it appeared he entered the curve too fast for conditions and upon applying brakes he went down and across the road going underneath the left front wheel of the Escalade coming the other way in the outside of the curve. Fortunately, he must have NOT gone under with the bike, because they said the bike went completely underneath them. It hit so hard the plastic inside fender well from the Escalade was laying with the wrecked bike and other plastic. :eek:4:

We stopped further up the road at the Escalade prior to moving on and made sure no one needed our help. I think the elderly lady (passenger in the Escalade) was more shook up the CR Rider. Yes, he was wearing protective gear but still was very LUCKY!!

This accident ending in an OK fashion, probably except that phone call home: "Honey are you sitting down"?

Regards,

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:22yikes:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wonder what his insurance is going to be on the next bike. That will hurt.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Glad he's OK, but hate to hear about accidents like that.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
"He entered the curve too fast for conditions and upon applying brakes he went down and across the road going underneath the left front wheel of the Escalade coming the other way in the outside of the curve."
Glad he ended up ok, but the key was him losing control under whatever conditions existed. When you play the game, be prepare to pay the price. Price may be big or small, but you will pay.......

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Happy to hear the rider will be OK. Let's hope he learned something from this - don't outdrive your eyesight, especially in corners.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Always sux to hear when a rider goes down. But glad to hear he is/will be OK. Hope he learned from his experience.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Lucky rider!:shock:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I witnessed a major bike accident last week, in Eureka Mo.

A guy was behind me on a cruiser type bike, and went around me on the right....he was not driving fast or reckless.
He went up to the next intersection, and ran the red light.
As I watched, I saw him lock up the back brake, causing the bike to fishtail one way, then the other.

He then broadsided a car in the intersection......the bike, and rider flew up in the air about ten feet, doing a cartwheel in the air, and came crashing down on the street.
The bike landed upside down, as if you turned a bicycle upside down to change a tire....the guy was laying 90 degrees to the bike, face down, unconscious....his left leg was still up against the bike in a riding position, with the shift lever impaled thru his ankle.

The cops and paramedics arrived and used the jaws of life to cut the shift lever from the mounted position, so they could transport the victim....

I never saw him regain consciousness, he was making a snoring noise.

As he went around me, I thought he seemed like a rider with limited experience....then when I saw him only lock up the rear wheel, that confirmed my thought.

Not what I wanted to see just before going on a Colorado wing vacation.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts