GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received the policy for annual mc ins.Usually I don't read the details,though I should, and discovered their is no medical coverage.For 150.00 dollars I could obtain 5000.00 of coverage.Huh? We know that wouldn't last long.The agent said coverage usually falls back to your health provider.So I pay for uninsured,underinsured and the vehichles involved but no medical coverage. With auto ins you get medical coverage but not so with 2 wheels.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Policies vary so much from state to state that it is almost impossible to make comparisons. I will have to check my policy to see what med coverage I have.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same thing in Pennsylvania. From what I understand, as long as the state does not require medical coverage (like they do for auto's) your regular health insurance has to cover you. It is very important to know what you have! For example, you get laid off and can't afford health care (of course this is impossible with Obama care out there :joke:) so you drop it. Now you go out on a ride and have a crash that is your fault. You now have zero health coverage.

FYI - I have access to PA's database for crashes. 70% of all motorcycle crashes in PA are the fault of the motorcyclist. 51% of that are single vehicle crashes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I really encourage you to not only review you current insurance policy, but to speak with an insurance agent specifically about what medical costs get covered by your motorcycle or car insurance. I did recently, more by happenstance than by planning.

My bike insurance policy was approaching renewal and I had been internet shopping new policies. While out riding one day, I realized I was near the office of my insurance agent (car and home, but not bike). I stopped in to review my options with them. According to my agent, medical insurance on my car or bike policy is secondary to my health insurance. The vehicle policies would cover health insurance deductibles and I could seek to have that coverage replace lost wages. In Nevada, the uninsured motorist coverage is the same - it only covers my medical costs/lost income and is secondary to my health insurance. After thinking about this, I cancelled medical and uninsured motorist coverage. I'm retired, so lost wages aren't a concern. The costs of my medical deductibles do not justify the premium cost of the insurance. I was surprised to find that my motorcycle would be repaired by my collision/comprehensive coverage in the event of an accident caused by an uninsured motorist.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts