GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is an MC Trailer covered by insurance? Is a rider added to the motorcycle policy or is it a separate policy for the trailer alone? And what Insurance do you use?:?::?:

Thanks for all info and opinions in advance.

Mike:doorag:

·
Registered
628 Posts
insurance

Mike,
I checked with my mc insurer and found that my trailer was covered. No extra cost. My agent supplied me the info in writing concerning the coverage. I use Progressive at the moment.
Safe riding.

Rick

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
The trailer, whether it is a cargo or motorcycle tag-a-long, is covered by the towing vehicle's liability policy insurance. The only insurance you would need is theft or collision on the trailer, to cover the loss of the trailer if stolen, etc.. My 7x12 cargo runs $30 year and my motorcycle Aluma runs about $15 a year. I am with NC Farm Bureau.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I could be wrong....

but I'm pretty sure it depends on the state in which you live.

I have Progressive, and in Colorado, the trailer is added as accessory coverage (or at least that's what Progressive told me!)

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
My State Farm agent in Michigan informed me that the trailer was covered by the insurance on the Goldwing and no further coverage was needed.

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
My State Farm agent in Michigan informed me that the trailer was covered by the insurance on the Goldwing and no further coverage was needed.
Same here in NC. But it does not cover the trailer for theft or loss. It is covered for liability while driving it behind the goldwing....just like it would if you pulled it behind a pickup truck. At least that is how it is in NC. If I wanted it covered for theft, etc...I had to take out an addendum, which was very cheap.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Trailer

I have Progressive. Included in the cost is 3,000.00 accessory coverage. I was told my trailer fell under that category and was covered.

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
I have Progressive. Included in the cost is 3,000.00 accessory coverage. I was told my trailer fell under that category and was covered.
I don't doubt that you were told this. However, logic to me seems to indicate something different. Since the trailer in NC is tagged with a separate plate, it has its own title and registration, as in many other states. The trailer can be pulled by your vehicle or another vehicle, such as a friends. The respective towing vehicle carries the liability for the trailer being towed, whether it is your vehicle or your friend's vehicle. The same applies if you are towing a rented U-Haul trailer...it is not an accessory to your vehicle. Thus you need separate tow insurance with U-Haul. Thus, it would not seem that it could be considered an intrinsic accessory to a vehicle. But, I could be wrong. I am going to check again with my agent again tomorrow. But that was the understanding I got when I bought my cargo trailer and my motorcycle trailer.

glad this topic was brought up again for discussion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
progressive in AL

I have progressive and the new policy booklet for alabama that i just got in the mail states that " trailer- a non motorized trailer designed to be towed on public roads by a motorcycle" is considered an accessory and is covered under the accessory coverage for no additional charge. mdh

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
I have progressive and the new policy booklet for alabama that i just got in the mail states that " trailer- a non motorized trailer designed to be towed on public roads by a motorcycle" is considered an accessory and is covered under the accessory coverage for no additional charge. mdh
thanks Mickey, I guess mine must be my insurance with Farm Bureau in NC that is different.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Obviously laws and definitions differ from state to state. Insurance companies who must comply with the laws of the state they are operating in, also differ by state.

In Colorado, liability insurance on a trailer is generally extended from the policy covering the towing vehicle subject to the conditions and/or exclusions in the policy. If physical damage coverage is desired to cover the trailer, it must be purchased separately. Some companies add this coverage under the motorcycle accessory coverage while others list the trailer as a separate unit on the policy.

Bottom line...check with your insurance carrier to make certain you have the coverage you want or need before it is too late. In addition, you owe it to yourself to take the time to read and understand your policy so that you are aware of what is covered and excluded.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
When I got mine, checked with the local Allstate agent. Liability is covered by the towing vehicle. If you want comprehensive or collision, it takes a separate policy. My Rollalhome runs about $30 a year. I have a cargo trailer that has no comp or collision, but I bought it used for $500 ten years ago.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
Talk to your insurance agent. An accessory coverage may carry over depending on the amount. I had to add more to cover the trailers value

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
bkdraft wrote:

Yes I too was told that...thanks for the reminder

To clarify my earlier post, I raised my coverage to $5000 for a minimal extra fee

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't doubt that you were told this. However, logic to me seems to indicate something different. Since the trailer in NC is tagged with a separate plate, it has its own title and registration, as in many other states. The trailer can be pulled by your vehicle or another vehicle, such as a friends. The respective towing vehicle carries the liability for the trailer being towed, whether it is your vehicle or your friend's vehicle. The same applies if you are towing a rented U-Haul trailer...it is not an accessory to your vehicle. Thus you need separate tow insurance with U-Haul. Thus, it would not seem that it could be considered an intrinsic accessory to a vehicle. But, I could be wrong. I am going to check again with my agent again tomorrow. But that was the understanding I got when I bought my cargo trailer and my motorcycle trailer.

glad this topic was brought up again for discussion.
Maybe the states are different, but in my circumstance, any trailer pulled by any of my vehicles, is covered under my vehicle policy. As long as it is attached, it has full coverage. The only thing about my vehicle policy, is that when I haul one of the show Camaros in th eenclosed trailer, it is not covered under the towing or trailer policy. It is considered a seperate motor vehicle and must have its own insurance.

My "Mini-Mate" camper trailer does not have a title. When they shipped it to me, it had a MSO and the license bureau said that was good enough for proof of ownership, so I did not have to title it. Being it had a manufactoring serial number, they licensed it off that number. I paid Texas sales tax and license fees and rode away a happy camper, with my camper!

I use State Farm on my house and all of my other vehicles, but went with Dairyland on the Wing, because they were way cheaper than State Farm. The made the first policy at $850 a year and it had the trailer covered for $3000. Then when I got to checking out why the rate was so high, they offered me a "Gold" plan that dropped the price of my insurance to less than $300 a year and upped the coverage on the trailer to $5000. I also got a refund back when they canceled the old policy and started me on the new "Gold" plan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts