GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle Consumer News said the Goldwing is a better bike than the BMW K1600GTL. It wasn't even close!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
As much as we would all like to believe everything we buy is the best/winner...it's all subjective.

You gotta ride them to really know.

Congrats to Honda...for what it's worth.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just read the article, got it in the mail today. Funny thing is they rated the BMW 1200LT the best tourer back in 2005. The ergonomics and ease of control with the wing seemed to be the deciding factors vs the 1600. They seemed to think that the BMW was more fun for a short ride or limited time on a twisty road but could not compete over a long distance ride. The wing's low center of gravity was mentioned again and again as an advantage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When the magazines do not fall all over themselves about the Goldwing, then nobody wants to hear about it. When one praises the Goldwing people start gushing all over themselves.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
It is a good article, as usual for MCN. Unfortunately for the BMW, they compared the bikes as long distance two-up tourers and, let's be honest, the Goldwing has no real competition in that particular category. The BMW is really more of a luxury sport-tourer and they make the point that it is not really direct competiton for the wing. Interestingly though, the Goldwing was rated superior in "engine", "clutch and transmission", "suspension", "ergonomics", "value" and "overall". The BMW, even though it has more horsepower and a bunch of technology (it's a 10 year newer design), was only rated better in the "brakes" and "handling" categories, but they tested an ABS BMW against a non-ABS wing, kinda wierd. And the BMW weighs 125 pounds less, so you would expect it to handle and stop better, but the Goldwing only stopped about 2-5 feet longer than the BMW. Bikes were the same price as tested though.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
I would love to own them both:thumbup:

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Whether the Wing is still #1 or not really isn't that important. I don't buy a bike based on where it stands in magazine shootouts.

The astounding thing is that the Wing can even stand up against a new design like the K1600. It shows how enduring the design of the GL1800 is. And it also shows how the K1600 is in a category of its own. It is neither a touring bike nor a sport touring bike. That is not necessarily a bad thing. But it does make straight up comparisons kind of meaningless. The bottom line is that there should not be any chest pounding that the Wing was picked as number one in this comparison. The Wing SHOULD have won, hands down. It was compared against a bike that isn't even a touring bike.

MCN did not focus on rating the bikes based on specifications and performance. It rated the bikes based on how much the performance contributed to its intended function, which is as a touring bike. The K1600 is faster. Nobody will dispute that. But does it make it better for touring?

Being great at solo or two up touring, the Wing has a distinct advantage as an overall touring bike against a bike that for the most part has left the passenger out of the equation. Apparently the Germans would rather leave their spouses at home and have some quality alone time.

I remember reading a sport touring shootout article about 10 years ago in Rider magazine. They compared the old Concours against the ST1100. FWIW, The ST1100 was my preferred bike between the two, and it did win the shootout while winning in nearly every performance category. But what was really dumb about the article is that, at the end every test rider stated that if they had a choice, it would be the Concours that they would want in their garage.

Well Duh! Doesn't that mean the Concours should have been the winner? They obviously felt that the Concours was the better bike, but instead blindly rated the bikes based solely on specifications. I can read a spec sheet. I don't need an article to explain the specs to me. I want to know which bike they felt was the better bike for its intended function.

And that is exactly what MCN did. "You want a touring bike? This is the one we feel is the best for that purpose. Specs be damned." Good for them.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I would use a lot of caution and take any opinions from MCN with a pound of salt.
While MCN contends that they don't take any advertising they do take all of the -All Expenses Paid - vacations to Europe, Japan etc to ride the bikes from various factories. That may not be $$$ directly in their pocket but all the Free B's has to change their focus and opinions else future Free Trips may not be offered.
Plus it seems to me that Fred was fed by his links with GWRRA for a number of years which is bound to skew his focus both toward and away from various brands. JMHO

Back in the Good Ol' Days when Road Rider preseded MCN they did take advertising $$$ and were very up front about who buttered their bread. In those days they were more realistic in their reports. Again IMHO

·
Registered
618 Posts
Best bike is like saying best WIFE .........

mine cooks and has a boat.......with a motor.....she's the best

actually no boat.....

no motor......

BUT SHE STILL IS THE BEST and so is my WING. :cool:

......and I didnt have to read about it in a publication.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
BMW has a waiting list for K1600s...
And so has any other"new" bike that has come to market since the turn of the century. What's your point???
I waited 5 months for my 2000 CBR929RR
I waited 6 months for my 2003 ST1300A
And believe it or not, in the spring of 2004, Goldwings were hard to come by. I waited 3 months for my red GL1800A.
Again, tell me, what point were you failing to make???

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
And so has any other"new" bike that has come to market since the turn of the century. What's your point???
I waited 5 months for my 2000 CBR929RR
I waited 6 months for my 2003 ST1300A
And believe it or not, in the spring of 2004, Goldwings were hard to come by. I waited 3 months for my red GL1800A.
Again, tell me, what point were you failing to make???
I think my point was clear. Sorry you took offense. The S1000RR is also back ordered, <g>

I'm surprised to read that you had difficulty finding a ST13 in 2003. :shrug:Was it also a "color thing"? <g>

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I think my point was clear. Sorry you took offense. The S1000RR is also back ordered, <g>

I'm surprised to read that you had difficulty finding a ST13 in 2003. :shrug:Was it also a "color thing"? <g>
No, it only came in silver that year. It was the first year it came to America and I wanted the ABS. That's the only things I could think of that would cause the wait. I even had to pick it up in Oregon. It was the first one that became available.
Sorry I took it the wrong way Ben, My apologies to you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would use a lot of caution and take any opinions from MCN with a pound of salt.
While MCN contends that they don't take any advertising they do take all of the -All Expenses Paid - vacations to Europe, Japan etc to ride the bikes from various factories. That may not be $$$ directly in their pocket but all the Free B's has to change their focus and opinions else future Free Trips may not be offered.
Plus it seems to me that Fred was fed by his links with GWRRA for a number of years which is bound to skew his focus both toward and away from various brands. JMHO

Back in the Good Ol' Days when Road Rider preseded MCN they did take advertising $$$ and were very up front about who buttered their bread. In those days they were more realistic in their reports. Again IMHO
I have no idea why you brought Fred into this thread, because Fred had nothing to do with this test, and if you read his on line magazine you would find he really liked the BMW. You can also find his review of the BMW in Friction Zone, but you will NOT find it in MCN. Also if you knew Fred you would know he has NOTHING to do with GWRRA other then being a life member.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
No, it only came in silver that year. It was the first year it came to America and I wanted the ABS. That's the only things I could think of that would cause the wait. I even had to pick it up in Oregon. It was the first one that became available.
Sorry I took it the wrong way Ben, My apologies to you.
I may be an odd duck. Color is the last thing I consider when choosing a vehicle. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Care not what any reviews say ... dime a dozen ... but I am still curious about all the Beemer beamers that post on every thread.
With all the wonderful features that the BMW bikes (apparently) have ... do they not have a website where the droolers can play?

Just curious.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts