GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done it before, but went by myself. Rode 10-12 hours, stayed somewhere in Va (no reservations, some motel). Got up the next morning around 7am, landed in Cherokee around Noon. Can't remember where I stayed, and this time my wife is coming, so I want to make reservations somewhere around the 10 hour point. Any ideas? $100/night or less.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Your 10-hour point will depend on how fast you ride and how much time you spend viewing overlooks, taking pics, etc.

I rode the BRP from the north end to the south end last year and I spent the night in West Jefferson, NC, which is at about milepost 260 of the BRP. It's a small little town about 6 miles off the Pkwy.

Another option would be Mt. Airy, NC, which is around milepost 200. It is another small town that Andy Griffith supposedly grew up in and it has some sites that remind one of the show (Floyd's Barbershoop, the sheriff's office, Goober's garage, etc.).

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I don't mean to be nasty here ... just honest ...

If you are in a big hurry why not take an Interstate ??? The Blue Ridge Parkway is just that ... a PARKWAY ... designed for pleasure riding/ driving ... great scenery everywhere you look ... takes me about FOUR DAYS to do the 470 miles ... smell the roses, watch the waterfalls ... suck in the beautiful scenery. The speed limit is 45 MPH and I've found myself traveling 38 MPH most of the time to enjoy the scenery.

A good reason NOT to take the parkway if you are in such a big hurry is DEER ... we saw about a dozen last week in two hours ... mid morning ... between 10:00 and 12:00. Watch out ... they are everywhere along the parkway.

By the way ... Peaks of Otter and Mount Pisgah are both great places to stay with really nice restaurants. NO CELL ... NO TV ... NO RADIO ... NO INTERNET ... just wine & stars & your honey ... :thumbup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll give another vote for the Peaks of Otter, spent 2 nights there last year.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Peaks of Otter is a good choice. The Bluffs Lodge at Doughten Park is nice but is closed this year... plus there is a slight construction detour in that area.

Check the BRP official site for the detour map.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

If you think you will make it to the Boone / Blowing Rock area, there is a really nice place a few miles off the BRP called the Inn at Crestwood. A little more expensive but absolutely worth it....

http://www.crestwoodnc.com/

·
Registered
277 Posts
I rode the BRP from Cherokee to Virginia last week.
You have to detour at Sparta NC, so I stayed at the Alleghany Inn there. :thumbup:

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
Priceline.com

Priceline.com is great. You pick an area, choose the quality accomodation you want ( 1-star to 5-star), and bid. You can get a $120 room (posted price) for about $70. I use Priceline.com all the time. Two weeks ago I rode nortbound on the BRP from Cherokee. After about half a day I decided to go a little west of the BRP, and then continue north. Mid-afternoon I had a pretty good idea how far I would get that day. Sat down with the laptop, bid on accomodations, and got a beautiful hotel room in Morgantown, WV for $70.

The disadvantages are you can't pick a specific hotel, you can only specify an area and they pick the hotel. And, if you don't buy the $5 insurance, once the bid is accepted it's non-refundable. The advantage is you can pick your destination later in the day. If you ride a lot further than expected (or not as far as expected), you can bid on a room based on where you think you'll end the day.

If you travel a lot, the savings really start to add up. (I don't work for priceline.com, despite how this sounds.)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
?

I don't mean to be nasty here ... just honest ...

If you are in a big hurry why not take an Interstate ??? The Blue Ridge Parkway is just that ... a PARKWAY ... designed for pleasure riding/ driving ... great scenery everywhere you look ... takes me about FOUR DAYS to do the 470 miles ... smell the roses, watch the waterfalls ... suck in the beautiful scenery. The speed limit is 45 MPH and I've found myself traveling 38 MPH most of the time to enjoy the scenery.

A good reason NOT to take the parkway if you are in such a big hurry is DEER ... we saw about a dozen last week in two hours ... mid morning ... between 10:00 and 12:00. Watch out ... they are everywhere along the parkway.

By the way ... Peaks of Otter and Mount Pisgah are both great places to stay with really nice restaurants. NO CELL ... NO TV ... NO RADIO ... NO INTERNET ... just wine & stars & your honey ... :thumbup:
Where, oh where did I imply I was in a hurry?:shrug:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have completed this trip many times, both north and south. This past June we stayed at Peaks of Otter, left there around 8 AM headed to Harford County, MD. Went BRP and Skyline Drive, RT. 340 to Frederick and cross country to Harford County arriving around 5 PM. Mostly did the speed limit encountering some heavy traffic around Frederick. Room is "basic" as all national parks are. Good restaurant on site serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Something new to me, NO gas available on BRP. Was not a problem, just so used to gassing at Peaks of Otter andMt. Pisgah. Have a great trip!

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
If you entered the Skyline drive at Front Royal, VA, then you might have gotten off at Buena Vista to get a room. That is a good stopping point.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Near MP 200 at Fancy Gap VA. A bargain at less than $40/night, I've stopped there on my last two trips. Nice and clean, not fancy, and hope you don't mind a doll collection in your room ;)

http://countryviewinn.net/

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
We stayed at that Country View place last July.

Clean and cheap, but very very creepy place with those dolls all over the place.

You can get nearly the same rate at the Days Inn in Fancy Gap.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Sorry montero1 ... didn't mean to jump your case ... Maryland to Cherokee in two days sounded pretty quick to me ... I'm thinking 600 miles at 40 mph ... saddle time ... time for looking, meals, whatever. I'd allow lots of time.

I take it pretty easy ... to me any less than four days to ride the complete Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway would be rushing things.

By the way ... turn off on highway 56 to see a pretty waterfall and enjoy a really twistie 20 mph road ... :thumbup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you end up around Floyd VA try the Floyd House. They only have 14 rooms and they are very nice and clean, were about $75.00.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts