GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried adapting the lower wing of the upper and lower set from Baker?
I took off the right lower wing, moved it to left side, and with about a 2" overlap, it fills the lower radiator port, just like the spot where I removed it. I have noticed lots of hot air coming off the lower port. The hot air from upper port pretty well goes away from bike, with the wings as designed by Baker, but the lower one is unprotected, and brings lots of heat to legs, especially while on highway pegs......

I sent this idea to Baker, but no response.

I know will have to cut the corner off to allow room for highway peg use, altho with **** o pegs, prolly no problem.

What do you think of this idea?????:?::?::?:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stand bye, will get a picture and put it up in a few minutes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is picture of the brainstorm...

The right one, when put upside down is a perfect fit on the left side. Yes, it has 2 unneeded holes at bottom, and requires some drilling and a couple bolts to install. Looks like a fantastic idea, but I will know after I receive the new set of replacement wings to do the deed......

You think me crazy???:shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
The right one, when put upside down is a perfect fit on the left side. Yes, it has 2 unneeded holes at bottom, and requires some drilling and a couple bolts to install. Looks like a fantastic idea, but I will know after I receive the new set of replacement wings to do the deed......

looks like a great idea.....keep us informed how they work

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. It might take a few days or more to get the parts, but will advise if this was good idea or harebrained one!

May be issue with how much pressure the bracketing can handle, but does not appear to be much new area......., especially if I cut the corner off. I tried the highway pegs when taking the picture, and it is close but tolerable.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Me thinks your are buck short and a few months too late :shock:. These lower wings are home made by GatorWing :thumbup:.
They would not be a good idea for those who add forward foot pegs :shrug:.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha, you must know me. You KNOW I am always a day late plus a dollar short!
Here is a picture of another one that looks like it mite work nicely. I just wanted to adapt the Baker Wings that I already had. They make a fantastic product, me just wanted a bit less hot air.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here is a picture of another one that looks like it mite work nicely. I just wanted to adapt the Baker Wings that I already had. They make a fantastic product, me just wanted a bit less hot air.:cool:
I have had this item in the Wish List for sometime now. I just can't visualize the room restrictions they may put on my highway floorboards. I have the mini arm extension so my boards are quite forward.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the Show Chrome's and they work good at keeping the heat away. Can also turn in for heat on cold day's.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have been standing by my mailbox awaiting my million dollar check. Notin yet :lol:.
Anyways we agree there is a huge amount of heat coming from that lower outlet :(. Sometimes the plastic wings can fool you and create a vacuum that pulls the heat in worse. Lots of testing. I find 1/8" dark tinted Lexan tough to find. I found a sheet of 3/16" I am going to experiment with. A plastics expert told me that Lexan is tough to bend but easy to machine where Plexiglas is easy to bend but must use great care to machine.
I have a new set of Bakers but they are light smoke and would be a mismatch. I may have to order a darker smoke from Baker and try a different larger wing :shrug:.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have had these for 1 year now & they work very well at keeping the heat off my legs on hot days. I ride 95% of the time with my feet on my ****-o-pegs, without these wings my legs fry especially when wearing shorts.:thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
814 Posts
One of the guys that I occasionally ride with has a Wing and had the Bakers installed at one of the Wing Ding events. When he saw mine he said I installed them upside down - his are installed with the larger one at the bottom and they were done by Baker ---- go figure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stand by folks. Am still waiting for the extra baker wing parts to try to block the hot air from lower radiator port. Maybe tomorrow will have an answer how this works or not.......;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
One of the guys that I occasionally ride with has a Wing and had the Bakers installed at one of the Wing Ding events. When he saw mine he said I installed them upside down - his are installed with the larger one at the bottom and they were done by Baker ---- go figure.
The pic on Baker's website show the large wing on top as mounted on a GL1800. I think I have seen Bakers on a 1500 with the large wing on the bottom.

·
Registered
489 Posts

What if you ordered replacement uppers and used them to replace the lowers, then just taylor fit them for your use?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

I have had these for 3 years and they deflect the heat well!! I went to Houston last weekend and it was HOT!! The wings did their job!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Made my own,went out in the shop took the upper ones off bike to make pattern.Then got lexan cut out ,put in brake and bent them. Now rad. slot blows hot air away from me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts