GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold 'em all in the last few years except the wing.
Wish I still had (could ride) the VFR:

Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Yamaha FJR1300

Suzuki Vstrom 650

Suzuki Vstom 1000

Honda CBR600

Honda VFR

Honda ST1300

Kawasaki KLR

Steve

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Nice looking bikes!! I really like the blue ST! :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Very nice, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
So explain this........how could a man who has had that many exotic, sexy. fast rides...........be runnin a freakin,...... "square tire" on his only bike left.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You da man!!!

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
What a beautiful batch of bikes...you are a lucky man to have had them all.

B

·
Registered
544 Posts
WOW, I guess I better start buying more bikes. So which one was your favorite?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because it works

So explain this........how could a man who has had that many exotic, sexy. fast rides...........be runnin a freakin,...... "square tire" on his only bike left.

It works with no ill effects otherwise I wouldn't mate it with the $$$$$ full monty Traxxion Dynamics suspension.

Obviously you haven't ridden a wing with a CT.

Oh yeah its a run flat, wears evenly and I get it for under $200 mounted

Oh boy here we go!

Steve

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vfr

WOW, I guess I better start buying more bikes. So which one was your favorite?

Without doubt the VFR is my favorite bike. To me its what sport touring should be. Both the ST and FJR are too heavy for real fun in the twisties when you know how a real sportbike can handle.

The VFR had those hardbags, better ergos than the latest RR, R1s etc.
Also the 800cc V4 is a wonderful engine. It pulls from the start w/o having to wring its neck though I did love doing that with the CBR (it sang at such a high note and loved it!).

The one thing I could have done without was the Vtech engine which uses only 2 valves per cylinder at low rpm then all four kick in at ~6000 rpms. Although it was very smooth during the transition it always left me thinking about 6000 rpms which got on my nerves.

The ST I think was ugly from the rear, very scooter looking and the sound was horrible, like the Jetson mobile. It was very top heavy with that large gas tank. The fairing pocket and gas tank were always very hot to the touch and the heat blowing onto my legs was unbearable like a hair dryer blowing on you.

The FJR was better about the heat which was fixed in the 2007 (I think) model but its still a heavy bike though it did pull well and looks good to me.

The Vstroms, very comfortable ergos, 45-50mpg, large seat and rack on the back so all I ever used to travel was a $20 Walmart duffle bag strapped to the seat/rack which held about 2 weeks worth of clothing.
The airflow sucks on the Vstrom with that small fairing too far forward so you have to add a barn door (large Cee Baily).

I gotta go, my wife is off to take the kids to fireworks.

See ya,

Steve

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Steven -
I have a 2007 25th Anniversary Interceptor for sale....just 2500 miles (bought new as a leftover in 2010) with the factory color-matched hard bags. It has Heli-bars and 1" lower pegs for a more comfortable riding position. I can email pictures if your nostalgia gets the better of you! :yes1:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It works with no ill effects otherwise I wouldn't mate it with the $$$$$ full monty Traxxion Dynamics suspension.

Obviously you haven't ridden a wing with a CT.

Oh yeah its a run flat, wears evenly and I get it for under $200 mounted

Oh boy here we go!

Steve

Yes I have......just pullin your leg.....I'm a fellow dark sider!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
What a beautiful batch of bikes...you are a lucky man to have had them all.

B

What happened to your bike? :shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry

Yes I have......just pullin your leg.....I'm a fellow dark sider!

Sorry for being jumpy. I get irritated by all the naysayers on web forums.
I had just posted some photos on a photography thread and the criticism was soon to follow.
Geesh, I didn't ask for any criticism (which is what you do if you want it).
I was just posting some snapshots and the experts couldn't help themselves.

Anyway Have a great 4th everybody and here's some more pics:

Happy 4th!

Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice pix!!!

Couple locally has and anniversary edition of the VFR. VERY sharp looking machine. Doesn't look all bad in red but love the paint scheme on the anniv edition. They seem tour a good bit on the VFR...see them every now and then while on the way to or from a service call.

Nice shots of the fireworks. Ours tonite are more than likely to be accompanied by thunder and rain.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Steve, those are some stunning photos. The very first one is very well done. The ones taken of the fireworks show you have quite a bit of talent in photography. They're just all beautiful!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wish I could

Steven -
I have a 2007 25th Anniversary Interceptor for sale.... I can email pictures if your nostalgia gets the better of you! :yes1:
I got rid of all my other bikes becuase of pain (except the ST for reasons listed).

I'm on my 3rd GL1800 and keeping it. My first was in '03 when my spine pain really started to hurt. I sold my sportbikes and bought the wing.
I rode it for a year and the pain got better so I sold it, bought a couple other bikes and repeated the process until 2008 when I was forced to sell the FJR after a week long trip put me back in physical therapy.

I still would like to have a BMW 1200GSA someday. Its the one bike that I really wanted & never bought mostly because of the ? high cost of ownership and decrease? in quality the last few years.

If my pain ever gets better controlled I'll likely get one of these.
I've ridden a friends and loved everything about it. Great ergos, that boxer twin with low weight is very easy/fun to ride. The larger windscreen on the GSA vs. GS gives great airflow, no buffet/roar etc like the small screen on the Vstrom.

I love the panniers & the Hummer like looks & function of the GSA.

Someday.....

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts