GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning waking up myself this morning I flipped to this tv show. It shows a tip to hold a nut or bolt in a socket to get in a tight place you can't get your hand . He takes a old car speaker and runs the deep well socket and extention over the back side of the magnet to magnetize the extention and socket. Then to demagnetize run extention and socket over side edge of magnet. He is on mad tv.

https://staceydavid.com/news/quick-tips

Cool hot rod build show

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes,, I have used to ole magnet trick for years............. I have the regular tool that magnetizes and demagnetizes the socket or a screwdriver......... works really well,,,,, thanks,,, Bob

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,, I have used to ole magnet trick for years............. I have the regular tool that magnetizes and demagnetizes the socket or a screwdriver......... works really well,,,,, thanks,,, Bob
I have been using tape for years this will be a lot easier. And to think the only thing I have put in the trash was my old wing speakers. Lol

·
Registered
790 Posts
Great tip on NOT losing the bolt!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Or a small piece of paper on one flat of the socket making a tighter fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Being a mechanic i have a simple trick for such a task, a piece of paper towel around the backside of your bolt or nut, shove it in the socket and your fastener will stay in socket. Once the nut is tight the paper comes right off.

Now, the magnetic trick i have used before as well, but magnets can play havoc in some situations. But, it's a good idea as well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
. . . . OR . . . "Magnetic Socket Inserts" can be had for about $15 a set on-line. Google is your friend.
I have a set of socket magnets very similar as those shown. They work great. Those shown look like donuts and mine the magnet is in the center. Mine are craftsman but purchased probably 35 years ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There goes another "secret mechanic trick". With the coming of youtube its lonely times for those mechanic skills we took many years to develop....

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
. . . . OR . . . "Magnetic Socket Inserts" can be had for about $15 a set on-line. Google is your friend.
B/H thank you, I'm going to look for a set of these tomorrow....... I like your idea, using magnets

Ronnie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts