GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered today that my health insurance co. doesnt cover med fights. Any body know of a company that sell a policy ??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I just discovered today that my health insurance co. doesnt cover med fights. Any body know of a company that sell a policy ??
I bet you mean "med flight".....Of course if you argue and fight with your health provider it is a "Med fight".

I carry American Express Travel Medical Protection Plan which gives me

$100,000 Emergency Accidental Injury / Sickness coverage
$100,000 Emergency Medical Evacuation / Repatriation coverage
Other benefits such as
No deductible and no out of pocket for medical expenses 100+ miles away from home
Visitor to bedside when in hospital for 5 days or more
Travel medical advice, refereals and translation services
And....accidental death or dismemberment coverage.

Call them at 800-297-2900. You dont have to tell them I sent you. I have coverage for myself and my wife as we often motorcycle overseas.

In addition, my Medicare supplemental insurance covers me outside the U.S. where I am part of the year.

If all else fails and I croak overseas, I have coverage that will transport my dead body out of Catholic or Jewish countries where there is no cremation, get me cremated real good, then send me cremains back to my place of choice - like maybe spread them off the BRP or Bryce Canyon.

You want that - call 800-947-8306

All of the above makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Is that only for when you book a commercial flight, for example, or for any travel... even via personal vehicle?

Cost?
covered trip = means a trip that originates from your permanent residence, does not ecxceed forty five consecutive days begining with the day you leave your permanent residence and is of a distance greater than 150 miles. Covered trip begins and the coverage automatically becomes effective once you traveled a 150 or more mile radius from your permanent residence.

Most of the standard exclusions - war, act of war, pregnancy, pre existing, illegal drug consumption, stupid tricks without a helmet, operating without an appropriate driver license, taking part in any scheduled competition.

It is best you call the 800 number and they will answer every question you may have. I have had it for the past 3 years and had one minor claim on behalf of my wife while in France..........got first class treatment and reimbursment.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Just to be clear: Neither of the links provided are for "medical flight insurance" but are instead "memberships". Neither will pay for emergency (first responder) flight from an accident scene to a hospital, which I'm guessing is what the OP actually needs.

The links provided are memberships that will transport you home or to a hospital in non-emergency situations. If the OP is looking for something that will pay a $28,700 helicopter ride from the accident scene to that hospital, neither of the links will pay for that. Well, they might is you call them first and arrange it ;)

Remember, at the scene, the officer or 911 operator is going to call whoever has the contract with the state, not your membership 1-800 number :thumbup:

I suggest the OP use google and look for insurance that pays for emergency air ambulance, regardless of who provides the service.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The company mentioned in this article is the same one that I used. My bill was $28,720.00 for the flight.

http://www.kjct8.com/news/28630874/detail.html
You got seriously screwed unless your unfortunate accident site was about 4 hours from a hospital. You must have included the ER time. Medovac in the US are generally $7,500 an hour, one hour minimum.

In Europe current rates are $75.00 a minute + $300 for use of winch...and here it has always been more expensive than the US.

Check out http://www.tignes.net/data/template_entetecontenu/9314-secours.pdf

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
You got seriously screwed
Agreed. If instead I was on my kayak off the coast of Kennebunkport, the Coast Guard would have sent a Sikorsky SeaHawk and my cost would have been..........

zero.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Agreed. If instead I was on my kayak off the coast of Kennebunkport, the Coast Guard would have sent a Sikorsky SeaHawk and my cost would have been..........

zero.
Oh, you are correct but....as of late the US Coast Guard is trying to charge for evacuation especially if they think that due to obvious stupidity and contribution of an obviously reckless victim to the circumstances the public will agree with the charges.

btw - the reason hospitals do not advertise the helicopter rates is because they can nail you for almost anything they want.......you are generaly in no condition to argue or complain. The insurance, if you are covered for Air Medovac will pay about $7,500 per hour.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
We have LifeFlight in our area. It costs 60 some $ per year and covers everyone in your household.They will take what ever your ins pays and that's it. My wife tried it out this spring and it works!:bow:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
We are members Air Evac Lifeteam in case of a medical emergency or need air ambulance to take you to a larger city with better hospitable. We are located in North Central Arkansas, but they operate in several states. Here's the website http://www.lifeteam.net/Default.aspx
Fantastic rates.......$55.00 for one year for two people......only problem is they operate only in 15 states.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts