GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had an appt with the ortho dr who did my surgeries today. he's pleased with the healing progress - took out the 22 staples in my shoulder , the 22 staples in my wrist, and th10 outside stitches in my elbow (there are 10 inside that will dissolve)

gave me a different brace for my r-wrist, so i can use those fingers more, cant open door knobs, or open a can of pop/etc, but can at least hold onto the can for a little bit! he said it'll take about 2 months for the wrist to heal. he showed me the x[ray -the break was very splintered, which is why he had to use a plate and screws.

L-shoulder- 3-4months,havw to wear what i call a 'flack jacket' aka total shoulder immobilizer sling - theres a plate on the outside of the ball/socket holding it in place - as well as alot of screws/etc. im calling rehab first thing in the morning to get started

he reminded me that both of these injuries are very serious,and to not get impatient, do exercises as scheduled, etc.

all the rest of the bumps bruises are doing just fine.

he showed me before/after x-rays, when i saw the after ones, i cried so hard i didn't think i wld stop.

as bad as this is - he reminded me that had i not been wearing a jacket with protection etc - the results would have been ... lets just say, much worse than what i have now.

so... looks like i'll be out of commission for quite sometime:-( good time to take a trip to WI for a visit.

loren 'bless his heart' (as they say down here) has really been a champion thru all this - dealing with all my tears, frustration, trying to keep me positive and moving forward, taking care of all the details/ you name it.

words cannot express how much i appreciate those who were there at the scene - kept me talking, getting me to laugh, reassuring me, checking me over for injuries, calling loren, taking care of all that - thank you thank you.

ps - if anyone can remember who the women were (besides trisha mays) who were with me, please let me know...i dont remember. thank you gerri for riding with me to the hosp, jeff for following behind the ambulance, and for you both and staying with me. i told you both to just go ride :) Mo Charley/becky - y'all are wonderful people, thank you for your visit on Sun. Randy Brown -great surprise, you do have some interestingstories to tell :)

thank you for all the cards emails phone calls, flowers posts/etc. the support on this board to each other is incredible - never ceases to amaze me what a great family everyone is...and just like a family, not everyone is going to get along with each other - welcome to the real world ;) the support loren and i have received is incredible.

Tremendous appreciation for all of u who helped loren get thru the rest of the weekend, especially saturdays bbq. its alot of work for 2 people, then to have it become just one....thank all of you from both of us. loren/i spoke on the phone,and there really wasn't anything he could do to help me, i was being taken care of/druggedup/slept alot - so keeping him busy was the best therapy.

im sorry i missed out on all the fun...meeting new people/etc.

Guess y'all will just have to come back in 2010!!!!

Laura/Loren Weeks

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
We've never met but I have been watching the board for information and praying for you. I wish you all the best and a continued speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Glad you're on the mend!!

I haven't read exactly what happened that caused your mishap. Is there a link, or would you care to elaborate??

An ounce of prevention......

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you're on the mend!!

I haven't read exactly what happened that caused your mishap. Is there a link, or would you care to elaborate??

An ounce of prevention......
i dont mind. i refer to it as OFU - Operator F*** Up

was going into a corner too fast, slowed down, but went off the edge of the road, slowed down some more (about 25mph?) and when i went to get back onto the road, did not hit it square enough, hit the edge of the road, and a little bit of gravel, and the bike slipped out from under me. I'm disappointed in myself.. I almost had it, but....
:-(

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Prayers continued for a full and speedy recovery.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Keeping you and Loren in our prayers!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Dont be to hard on yourself laura,we have all made mistakes its just most of us get away with em but now and then one of us do not,mend fast and prayers sent,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Laura,

Glad you are able to keep such a positive attitude and are healing well.

Hope you continue to heal quickly. Thankful you had on protective gear.

Thank goodness for modern medical techniques which can do wonders for us.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Laura;

I had my shoulder rebuilt and was immobilized for 90 days. The joint was frozen and required about an hour of rehab to gain an inch of movement at the finger when the arm was extended. The goal at 3 months of rehab was to pick a can of tuna fish off the counter and put it up on the lowest shelf in the cupboard.

Physically, that rehab was the toughest thing I have faced in my life, and I'm not afraid of pain. I spent the better part of a year rehabbing and it was two years before the first thing I thought of when I woke was not my shoulder.

The end result is about 50% surgeon and 50% rehab.

That said, and although I have never met you, I believe you will come out of this thing OK. Grit your teeth and make it happen as the results are worth the effort. It isn’t going to be easy, but you can do it.

Best wishes and prayers.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Glad your on the way to recovery, prayers being said.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad you're on the mend and that the accident wasn't worse.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Keep mending! Do the rehab. You'll be back out there before you know it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Laura, it is so good to hear you are doing better. Keep up the good work and maybe we will get to see you and Loren in the fall.
Jim

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Ditto "Lucky 777"!! :agree: Prayers are with you and hope you heal well.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
laua how long before I can get my hug ? Best wishes to you and hope for a speedy recovery

·
Registered
368 Posts
Laura, Hunzee was right about the rehab. That is very important if you want to fully recover. I had rotator cuff 2x , but the key was the rehab.
It's slow and demanding, but you got to do it.
Good Luck with it, feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Laura, take it one day a time and just be determined.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Laura, my wife had extensive rehab after her stroke. Don't let the word "Extensive" scare you...it just means they give you a lot of one on one attention. Those rehab people are true miracle workers! It is truely amazing what they can help you accomplish.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Easy does it!!!
Glad that you are on the recovery path!
Best of luck!!!
Maybe we'll meet one day!

:biker: :biker:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts