GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The permanent mounted plug from my battery tender ended up against the exhaust pipe. I now have an area about the size of a quarter of melted black plastic on my pipe. Any advise on how to best remove it would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
plastic on pipe.........

I would try boms away chrome polish in conjunction with the finest steel wool i could find. ooo or oooo ultra fine, it will not scratch the chrome and may just remove the offending plastic.
JD :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
re-route ur battery tender wire

I have my gerbing jacket liner wiring routed inside the gas tank door, i had to loosen 2 bolts on the top shelter to get the wiring thru, but now it does not touch the exhaust or scratch the bike in any way. Incidentally my gerbing jacket liner wiring and battery tender use the same type ends. If i'm not riding i plug my battery tender into my gerbing hookup.
JD 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Know the feeling - Like he said, ride it to warm up the pipes, get out the oven cleaner, and rub the plastic off with a rag. Chrome polish also works, but takes longer.
To solve the problem, I put a "powerlet" inside my left front pocket to take both the Gerbing and the Battery Tender plugs. Solves the problem of the 'dangles' on the plug hanging out.

Here is a link to a photo.

http://photobucket.com/albums/0603/hspencer942/Front_SAE_Powerlet.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first thought would be to scape off what you can with a plastic scraper and then use acetone to remove the remaining material.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Red said:
Get the pipes warm. Spray a little oven cleaner on a rag then rub down the chrome!
Just a note on the oven cleaner. I'm sure it would be fine to use it in this case but don't get the idea its safe to use in all cases. NEVER EVER use oven cleaner on anything aluminum that you care about. If you are wondering what it does try putting a little oven cleaner on some aluminum foil.
Speed Safely

1 - 7 of 7 Posts