GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for about twenty years pretty much a solo rider. I'm new to the Gold Wing owners group but I would like to know seriously what are the advantages or disadvantages of being affiliated with a mc club. :?:

I love to ride by myself and at times I love to ride in a group. If I could get some highlighted opinions on the pro's and con's of a mc club or staying solo I'd appreciate it.

Never the less I shall continue to ride because it is a passion for me! :blw1: :?:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I prefer solo...I gain too much weight at the local dairy queen if I ride in a group...... :a13:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
we dont belong to any clubs except the pacific coast and this group on the computer. my wife and i ride on our own schedule and no where in particular, haveing a great time shareing something.

we have ridden on some organised rides and she like them nuch more than i do . the couple i have been on turned into a race and chase event, i ride fir the fun of it, seeing some new areas and getting some fresh air. its not a road rally to me.

the best reason to be in a club is the social connections and the info exchange for tips and help. i look foward to getting to a few select rides this year.

there is a late summer one in indiana that runs the covered bridges area that i am looking foward to. just to be able to ride in an area we have never been before.

so yes both solo and groups can have finer points, maybe some of each to choose and pick would serve you better.

loren

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
As they say, different strokes for different folks.

I ride 50% of the time solo (usually with wife),
about 40% with one or two other bikes, and
less than 10% in a group. Organized groups
do not flip my switch at all, and you can spot
many members looking like a hot dog peddler at
a ball game, vests, patches, et al.

Some impromptu groups (read disorganized)
can be a real blast. Try some of those asylum
escapees from WA. They can't even read the
odometer. Like because it is snowing out. But
they are riders, not club members.

Sorry QD, had to throw the harpoon...:lol:

Anyway, do whatever your style is. Its your ride.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Both

I like both riding solo and with a small group. I belong to the AMA, GWRRA (have not ridden with my local chapter), VRCC, VOAi, and the Colorado High Country Cruisers. It is through the latter (HCC) that I have made some great friendships with some great folks and riders. I really love riding solo and with about three other friends (4 bikes total). It is through the HCC that I have found several folks that I really enjoy riding with. Same temperament, same riding style, same approach to riding and enjoying scenery -- but, they also bring some different perspectives to travel that is in-fact a nice touch and addition. Nice folks to hang out with. Don't get me wrong, I like just about everyone in our group, but it is essential when you make a longer trip that all of the riders are very compatible. If not, it can become a disaster, ruining the trip for everyone.

I do quite a few day rides with the larger group, but as most of you know, it is neat seeing the larger group of bikes and hanging out with a bunch of folks you know, but the larger groups are really a pain-in-the-butt. It is more of a challenge on the road with the different skills and desires of riders, and almost always a challenge for trying to find a place to eat. And, you really only get to talk to a few of the folks anyway. So, I prefer solo and smaller groups of folks that ride similarly. The club is a good way to meet them. And, thorough the club you meet people from various walks of life and experiences.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys have brought up some good points and I appreciate that. It seems that riding solo for the most part is my cup of tea. I would say no more than four is a good group amount.

I agree it is very important to ride with those who ride similar to myself. I've seen a few get caught up in the hype of being among a group and not paying attention to the road. Or talking while riding side by side (not good).

At times it seems lonely riding solo but I suppose it can't be exciting every single second we ride. I think instead of joining a club I will ride solo and maybe catch a small group here and there. Thank you for your opinions I appreciate that. :blw1:

·
Registered
96 Posts
While I enjoy the friendship and comaradery of a large group my wife and I tend to keep to the smaller groups. Im also a member of the HCC. Bunch of great folks there. Havent been on any major rides with them as yet.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I would love to find a good MC Club where you can meet new people who share in the love of riding. I have tried local Gold Wing Chapters only to find it was more about the buffet line at the Golden Coral than about riding. I find that disappointing. The local dealership has Saturday rides but like someone else metnioned, it is more like a road race. One reason this board is so nice is that you feel connected almost as if you were in a club :) I keep riding with my SO and go on longer trips usually with a best friend but I keep hoping to find that club where new friends will be met and great memories made.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Hey Blk Warrior, you going to join us for our lunch run to Tennessee? It's an organized, dis-organized ride

G

·
0 Posts
solo....the only way to fly. Go where I want, see what I want, turn here turn there, stop over there. Eat there, etc. Play my music LOUD, and don have to worry about being in formation.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Clubs

This is really too big of a subject for a BBS. But here are some thoughts that might get you poking around some more for a good match.

First, I will have to speak for myself. My wife and I rode for years on our own, or with a couple of other friends. A few years after we got the wing we tried GWRRA....no thanks, then we tried a local Riding Club out of a dealership....lots of meetings and a few rides. We were not impressed.

Now, we belong to a Motorcycle Club, related to military service, and we love it. There is always a ride, party, trip or other activity planned. We still do some long trips on our own or with a few friends either from the club or our circle of friends.

Find out more about the types of clubs:
Social: There are lots of clubs that are social in nature, and usually have a large number of poor riders, or beginners.

Riding: Some have matching jackets, some don't, but they are often laid back in nature and you can show up, or not.

M/C: Prospect and Probate steps are required before you are a member. Some are outlaw clubs, most are not. Be careful.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Closetchef said:
Hey Blk Warrior, you going to join us for our lunch run to Tennessee? It's an organized, dis-organized ride
When are we talking about Closetchef?

·
Registered
263 Posts
the GWRRA in our area is pretty active. Actually have been loosely associated with them for a few years. Plan on joining next month. They do two rides a month.

If they actually ride I'll join and continue. If it all about fundraising and raising money for charity I skip. My fishing club does everything but fish. I'm at the food pantry 2x a week and need a relaxing time too.

I have my own causes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For 25+ years I rode mostly alone or with 1 other rider. A couple of years ago I found the internet forum for "The Motorcycle Tourers Forum", these people are great. I have ridden more satisfying miles with them than I could have ever imagined. It seems like there is always something in the works with this bunch, anything from a lunch run to a cross country ride.
We don't have officers or meetings or any dues, just participate in the forum and the rides at the level that you desire. No bickering, bitching or brand bashing here, just folks that like to ride !!!!!!!!

boB

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I have been riding with "SOUTHERN CRUISERS RIDERS CLUB" (SCRC) It's an all type, all riders welcome type RIDING CLUB. NO DUES, no mandatory meetings, no BS. You can come and go as you please. It's a bunch of great people, that like to get together and go for a ride

I would like to make one distinction:

there is a big difference between a MOTORCYCLE CLUB and a RIDING CLUB

for more 411, try this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rcvsmc-edu/index.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ride almost exclusively solo, no meetings, no commitee's, go left, right , north, and south when ever I want, BUT there is one exception, the HSTA.
That's the Honda Sport Touring Association. These people are about riding.
They do 3-400 miles a day gather up for dinner, share stories about the great twisty roads they found and then have at it again the next day. This is the only time I ride with a 'group', and it's a small group at that. If you're looking for an organization that's all about riding and not poker runs, Dairy Queen runs or who can collect the most pins these are the people. Check out your state chapter. They're great!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've got to agree with Deadeye.

I do most of my riding with a small group of people, but belong to a rather large club (about 50 bikes).

Every year for the last five, I have made my vacation plans and opened it up to the group if they would like to join me. I have had as few as my spouse and I plus one other couple on a three week trip, and as many as 14 bikes (22 people) on a 9 day trip.

The most enjoyable are the trips with fewer bikes (2 to 7 or less). Two to 5 are really sort of ideal from a logistical view point. Don't get me wrong as some of the really more enjoyable trips have been by ourselves or with one other couple.

I also really enjoy getting out by myself. I have a 9 or 10 day trip planned for June to do a 48 states in 10 day trip by myself. No considerations, except myself and my wants and capabilities to watch out for!

Biggest thing to remember, there is only one Road Boss and that is the one on your back seat! :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I like the solitude of riding alone and doing my own thing, most of the time. But it is fun to get together with friends and get out on the road together. Being part of a pack is cool sometimes.

The few times we have gotten together up here in the NW it is pretty impressive watching 15 wings rolling down the road (even if there was a HD and a beemer mixed in... lol).

The camraderie and BS sessions before and after the ride are priceless.

I am a member of the GWRRA and the GWTA. Never been to a GWRRA meeting, and been to two GWTA meetings. Met a a buffet, rode 100 miles, ended at a buffet. Nice folks and all... but I don't see myself donning a felt vest any time soon!!

Groups can be fun, if they are like minded folk... look around and see what is available in your area.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Yea, Mike - In your neck of the woods, I think
I would want to be surrounded by a BIG bunch
(Call it a CONVOY), and riding in something with
inch thick boilder plate for doors.

Ya going to make the buttbuster 2.5 this year?

Harry

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
First let me start off by saying that I rarely ride alone. Meesh won't allow it....LOL

We prefer solo with a nice mix of friends at times. Idealy for us is 5 bikes or less.

No clubs here and even if there were I would not be inclined to join. Our house and garage tends to be a gathering place for a lot of riders to stop. clean a windshield, get a drink hit the bathroom and move on. We enjoy it when the folks stop in on days that we can't ride.

Generally the less bikes, the less potty stops, smoke stops etc. I don't mind stopping from time to time, but when it becomes every half hour, it is a bit much.

Bulldog

1 - 20 of 44 Posts