GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The IBA is looking for someone to sign up to do this special memorial SS 1000 Ride in AK. I have attached the information and POC below.

A TRIBUTE TO JACK SHOALMIRE by Howard Entman

Jack had often said that he'd like to ride Saddle Sore 1000's in each of the 50 states, and he was well on his way to accomplishing that goal when his life was cut short by a heart attack. In his honor and memory, a select group of us will be able to memorialize Jack's dream by riding in-state SS1k's in each of the 50 states on one day. Suggested dates are October 15 or October 22. Those days should present decent weather--not too hot and not too cold.

If you would like to participate in this historic event, please let me know what date would be best (if you can do either please say so) and what state you would like to ride in. If you would be willing to ride in any one of several states, please let me know that, since I'm certain there will be some states without firm volunteers.

The IBA will issue a very special certificate for this ride at a discounted price of $22 (certification only program). All IBA rules will apply as to documentation and, if the ride is circuitous (like it must be in some of the eastern states) special witness rules may apply.

Jack was a friend and, at least to me, a hero. He was truly a LD rider. He completed countless IBA events. Let's add this event to his legacy.

I will be the IBA point person on this historic series of rides. If you can participate, please send me an email so I can maintain a mail list and keep list of who is doing what. Please include the state you are going to attempt so I can keep a master list of the states we need to cover.

Howard Entman
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The IBA is looking for someone to sign up to do this special memorial SS 1000 Ride in AK. I have attached the information and POC below.
I would love to participate but Yikes...October 15 or 22. I don't know about anyone else but my bike is typically in storage by then as it wouldn't be uncommon for the roads to be frosty or even iced at anytime day or night. My cars are on studded tires by mid-September. The weather conditions would have to be picture perfect for me to commit that late in October. And we/I would be riding in circles around town to avoid higher elevation, bridges and shaded areas as they always freeze first. Any chance of this happening sooner?

·
Registered
598 Posts
My cars are on studded tires by mid-September. The weather conditions would have to be picture perfect for me to commit that late in October. And we/I would be riding in circles around town to avoid higher elevation, bridges and shaded areas as they always freeze first. Any chance of this happening sooner?
I've been in contact with Howard regarding this ride, and voiced my own concerns with the late dates. While I have ridden down to Valdez over Thompson Pass as late as October 30 we certainly can't count on being able to do anything like that, so he has said that any time will do.

Just came back from a ride up to Wiseman and over to Manley Hot Springs to see how my Michelin Hydroedge does on gravel and mud (it worked great, by the way) and have a ride into Denali Park planned for the 16th, so I'll be putting the studded Avon Gripster on the front of the bike for that trip. After that, I should be ready to do the 1K day. Want to join up and ride together?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Would love to join you - BUT unable to get there in time... have the D/S Ride in in Marlinton, WV about that time.

Photo from 2006 in Glenallen when I was riding my 2002 Illusion Blue

Alaska Highway 2006

So many roads to ride and so little time...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Would love to join you - BUT unable to get there in time... have the D/S Ride in in Marlinton, WV about that time.
Wimp! What's a few thousand miles to a Wing rider?

:lol:

Photo from 2006 in Glenallen when I was riding my 2002 Illusion Blue

Alaska Highway 2006

So many roads to ride and so little time...
Bet I saw your bikes there. Living just a city block away from the hotel, and looking after their heating system, I take a swing into the parking lot just about every day during the summer to see how many riders are coming through, and where they are all from. Get to visit with a few of them, and listen to their tales of traveling through the far Northwest.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Wimp! What's a few thousand miles to a Wing rider?

:lol:

Bet I saw your bikes there. Living just a city block away from the hotel, and looking after their heating system, I take a swing into the parking lot just about every day during the summer to see how many riders are coming through, and where they are all from. Get to visit with a few of them, and listen to their tales of traveling through the far Northwest.
If I would have only known. I was stationed at EDF - Anchorage back 1958 thru 1961 - been back several times - last 2 times were on 2 wheels.

I don't want to miss the D/S ride in or I could be tempted to head that way...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts