GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always been an Old School Rider. leather in the fall and spring, t-shirt and blue jeans in the summer. Rode to Kansas City, Ketchum Ok, and Eureka Springs Ar last week to visit old friends from the Motorcycle Industry.
Ride to KC was not too bad, lower 90's. When I left for Oklahoma, temp got to 108 and I was miserable. Had to stop about every 40 miles, re-hydrate and cool off. My friend in OK gave the cooling vest. Made a huge difference on the ride to Eureka Springs. It was 102 when I left at at 10am. Got to 112 that day, glad it was only 80 miles. Got to Eureka Springs and Dave talked me into a Mesh Jacket. He rides alot of Long Distance, Central America, Alaska, Nova Scotia etc
The combo of the two made my ride home to Ohio way more bearable than my Old School ways.
Made a believer out of me and now I am wearing protection in the summer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mesh jacket is like putting on shade. I will ride without it sometimes but it's on my mind that I do not have any protection for my elbows and shoulders without it. When it starts to get hot I put the mesh jacket on. I still need to buy a cool vest, just haven't made the plunge.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
We each have a Tourmaster Air Intake II mesh jacket and wear it even when it's 90. A few weeks ago, we bought cooling vests from the Iron Pony to try them out.

Only have used the vests once so far (it was 90 outside), but they really make a big difference. Wet them down every 3-4 hours and off you go.

Will give them a better work out in a few weeks when we head to the Smokys and the BRP.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I use the same setup on longer rides and agree that it certainly aids comfort. For the 20 mile commute home from work, I sometimes just wet down a long sleeved microfiber shirt and put it on. Either way, always the protective jacket.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Wearing mesh is better than a t-shirt, that's for sure but for comfort in all temps textile works better. Broken record, I know but there are better ways to be safe and comfortable.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Gave up leather jackets in '04 and went to textile for winter and mesh for summer, mainly for the safety padding. Been doing the cool vest/mesh jacket combo for several years. Until someone tries it, they can't believe how much better the two work in combo.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Forget the cooling vest and buy some long sleeve LD comfort wear. Just wet the sleeves and anything else you want to wet down and ride in cool comfort with a mesh or vented jacket. I have 2 different types evaporative vests that I wish I had not purchased because the LD does so much more. The two different materials make the difference in these. My experience with the evaporative vest is once they dry out, you have a dry blanket on stopping the breeze and any cooling at all (miserable), the LD dries out but you still get the breeze through the material and your skin doesnt get all dried out.

I have not tried the Phase Change Cooling vest, man there are some good reports on these. I have some friends here that have bought some and I am waiting on their honest evaluation for using them to ride around here. I am concerned with the packs having to be frozen after a couple of hours of riding, vs simply squirting some water on the LD Comfort. Im not sure I want to tote a cooler everywhere I go. But Im not afraid to try most anything if it works!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts