GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GWRRA mesh jacket saved my shoulder when I went down last March, but it ripped the jacket. That dark colored jacket is a little hot in the Alabama summers. I am looking for recommendations on a light colored full mesh jacket. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
OSI,large mesh lots of air flow.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My GWRRA mesh jacket saved my shoulder when I went down last March, but it ripped the jacket. That dark colored jacket is a little hot in the Alabama summers. I am looking for recommendations on a light colored full mesh jacket. Thanks!
I'm a big fan of Olympia gear. My latest is the air glide 5 and wouldn't trade it. I have the grey/white. My wife has the high vis. We both love them.

https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/products/men/jackets/airglide-5-s-ivory-0

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
My latest mesh jacket is Olympia Airglide 5 , nice jacket but the collar is to tall and rubs the bottom of my helmet wearing out the bottom of the liner ruining the helmet so I eventually quit wearing that jacket, other than that issue it’s a nice jacket.
I’ve had a few other mesh jackets, my all time favorite is my Tourmaster Intake Air, it has 2 zip in liners, one is water and wind proof and the other is insulated.

·
Registered
335 Posts

For reference, what brand of jacket were you wearing?

I love a good success story.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
478 Posts
My latest mesh jacket is Olympia Airglide 5 , nice jacket but the collar is to tall and rubs the bottom of my helmet
I have the Dakar2, which is the Airglide with about 6 inches more length. I wear mine with the collar folded down (I have no neck), and had my seamstress put some velcro in the back of the collar to hold it in place. In winter, I can pull the velcro and wear it collar-up to keep my neck warm.

It is a very nice jacket, flows lots of air, has very robust protection in the likely places. It's as cool and flows as much air as my Joe Rocket, but has much better protection. The Rocket is open weave, and I wasn't crazy about the risk to my skin. Good adjusters, lots of adjustments to fit you.

Plus the rain liner can be worn either under or OVER the jacket. I also have the high-vis. Works great on the Ducati as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In 2012 a $60 mesh jacket protected me above the waist in a crash so I am a big believer. But even the biggest cheap ones (5x) were too darn short and too tight. One day I saw HD had a big selection online and I went into one of the dealerships and found the "Screamin' Eagle" design - and a size 3X was LOOSE on me, meaning it was sized normally.
I bought it and some pads... and it is the THE MOST COMFORTABLE JACKET I HAVE EVER WORN. It feels like a well-worn flannel shirt, with a nice low padded collar that does not get in the way of a helmet.
Of course, being a Honda guy... I had to change the lettering to say "Screamin' Bagel" but other than that I wouldn't change a thing.
I acknowledge quality - and they have a really good product. The color is black and gray and yes, I have worn it in some scorching days. Like any other mesh jacket you start to get warm if you are walking around or not moving at all - but once you are riding, it is coolicity all the way. There are enough HD dealers around that one may be close enough to wander in and sneak past the salesmen to the clothing department so you can try it on in person.
Did I say I love mine? LOL.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For reference, what brand of jacket were you wearing?

I love a good success story.
I looked, but couldn’t find the brand name. It was the official GWWRA mesh jacket I got in Knoxville.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have this jacket that I no longer wear after selling my bike...and I only live about 10 miles from you in Hayden...if you are interested I would like to get $25 for the jacket.
What size is it? I’m only 5’10” and 175 lbs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Old Version

My latest mesh jacket is Olympia Airglide 5 , nice jacket but the collar is to tall and rubs the bottom of my helmet wearing out the bottom of the liner ruining the helmet so I eventually quit wearing that jacket, other than that issue it’s a nice jacket.
I’ve had a few other mesh jackets, my all time favorite is my Tourmaster Intake Air, it has 2 zip in liners, one is water and wind proof and the other is insulated.

I love my Tourmaster also, but it is an older version. Has water-resistant layer (I think waterproof is too optimistic) as an outer layer and insulating as an inner layer. Allows me to have everything I need on the bike, with the exception of a full-blown rain suit.

I am looking for somethin new, as with all the riding, as the mesh part it is sending out frayed nylon runners. The quickest way to resolve the issue is with a propane torch, which is probably not listed on the care label! :nerd:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
731 Posts
I’ve owned a few mesh jackets, and on an unfaired bike they would all work pretty well. The Goldwing is almost too efficient at blocking airflow, even with the windscreen vent open, and the Baker Wings set to force air on to the rider. I really hate feeling too hot while riding, but still want good protection in case I go down. This past Spring I bought the Klim jacket from Revzilla. Not cheap at $350 but clearly the best mesh jacket I have ever owned. Very well made, with good armor, and yet it allows the most airflow of any jacket I have ever owned. Mine is silver in color and I love it Due to being a bit thicker at the waist than I should be for my height, I bought the XL and while the sleeves are a bit longer than ideal, the jacket works more than very well for me. I have become a real fan now of Klim products.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The brand name is Fieldsheer it also has a winter liner for cool riding weather, not sure about the size...I am 6'1" and 198 & it is tight on me.
I work in Fultondale. Can we meet somewhere and let me try it on?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts