GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a First Gear Kilamanjaro Air that has a wind and water proof liner that has a bit of insulation as well.
The armor is in the mesh part and I'm not sure if it removes or not. I like it because it is a bit longer than those crotch rocket types that don't cover your back and yet it isn't super long either.
I got it at the Hoot this year and thought I paid too much at the time but it is now my jacket of choice until it gets down real close to freezing temps.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've got a Tourmaster Intake. I like the Hard Armor in the shoulders and elbows and the semi-harde padding in the back. It has 2 liners. The quilted for cold, and the rain for .... well rain. I use it here in the florida heat of summer, and it does a fine job of keeping me protected.

·
Registered
624 Posts
What do you mean by best? Best protection? Best comfort? Best value?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I've had the Joe Rocket combination with liner, zip out part that leaves just a mesh - and depending on the weather (or changes thereto) it has served me well. I've taken off in the morning with the liner and zip out portion installed, later in the morning taken the liner off and finished up the day with the outer part zipped out and ridden with just the mesh. Neat for a single jacket.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Rinkopr said:
I've got a Tourmaster Intake. I like the Hard Armor in the shoulders and elbows and the semi-harde padding in the back. It has 2 liners. The quilted for cold, and the rain for .... well rain. I use it here in the florida heat of summer, and it does a fine job of keeping me protected.
Same here. 30 degrees here when I left for work this morning. With all the jacket liners, I was almost very comfortable. Had only a short sleave shirt under it and bluejeans (40 mile trip). During the summer, just wearing the mesh jacket kept me cool while riding. Gets a little warm when driving in stop and go traffic. I don't dehydrate near as bad as when I don't wear a jacket during the hot summertime.

David

·
Registered
338 Posts
www.motoport.com

Cycleports. After experiencing the abrasive qualities of asphalt last summer, we went with the best I could find. Just call them or look up the website. Was pricey and takes a while to get them, but worth it I believe.

Also, rode around today in 40-50 degrees and with liner did excellent with T-Shirt on underneath & jeans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm using the Honda Mesh Tex jacket which is the same basic design as the First Gear Mesh Tex, but without the removable liner. I purchased a seperate liner from New Enough.com and it works just fine. You can also replace (or add to) the standard armour pads in the jacket (either the First Gear or the Honda) with the better CE pads for added protection. I really like the jacket and with the liner in, I'm good down to about 50 degrees. Anything cooler, I use the Tour Master Advanced Winter jacket.

Ray

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like FirstGear's Mesh Tex 2 jacket with liner. Rated "Best Buy" by Motorcycle Consumer News. NewEnough, a mail order house has them on closeout for $69.99. I paid $125.00 for the same jacket a year ago.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I had an older Joe Rocket mesh jacket and liked it alot, but it was too short to cover my bulging midsection :roll: and it lacked any sort of liner to make it suitable for anything other than really warm weather. It was Red, which matched my old Wineberry colored GL-1500, but it sort of clashed with my new Metalic Silver GL-1800A.

I was down at Chapperal http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/homepage.asp?URLCheck=1 and saw a newer version of the same jacket in Silver. It came down further in the waist and had a liner that zipped in so it would stay put when doning or removing the jacket. I bought it (really cheap compared to some of the other jackets being mentioned above) and I am really happy with it.

On long trips, especially in the spring and fall, I usually take along two jackets. I have a cold weather jacket (Firstgear Kilimanjaro $270) with Gerbing electric liner that works from 80 deg F and colder, while the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Jacket $135-$152 with liner is good from 40 deg F and warmer. Both are advertised to work in wet weather but the moisture barrier on the Joe Rocket is near the inside instead of near the outside, so unless I am in the muggy South, I will probably stick with the Kilimanjaro for the really wet stuff.

Both have soft armor so they offer some protection in a crash, but I am not fooling myself that they are the ultimate protection available. My risk acceptance allows me to insist on a certain level of comfort in exchange for a reduced level of crash protection. Besides that, I weigh over 300# so getting something that I can fit into is a major consideration and seriously limits my options. :oops: I also have a thin leather jacket for adding some style at a significant loss of crash protection that I use on short rides at a slower pace. :? I hope this provides you with another viewpoint than the other posts highlighted. Good hunting and be safe out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TRKLOP, I wear a firstgear mesh tex with liner and have been very happy with it down to about 40F and up to about 90F. It has a liner and good armor. I paid about 130 for it about 2 years back. I just saw them on sale at newenough.com for 69.95.
They also have the tourmaster flex jacket on sale which is the most adjustable jacket I have ever worn (has 3 liners more or less) and can be worn thru a great deal of tempeture changes.
The sales people are easy to deal with.

Bill

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
trklop said:
What is the best Mesh Jacket? Would like the armor and liner that is removable.
How much do ya wanna spend is really the question maybe....

Kinda like asking, 'What Car provides the best crash protection". :?:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I own a Fieldsheer Black and Yellow mesh tech jacket...it is fully armored...forearm,elbow,shoulder,and back..It has an outer liner that is water proof and wind proof..I wear it up to 100 degrees. I wear a sweat jacket under it with the outer liner over it in cold weather ( 28 the lowest this year so far) and i was comfortable...It sells for about $150.00

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have a Fieldsheer and a Nitro mesh jacket.. they both have removable
liners & armour.... I like the Fieldsheer better... but the Nitro is less
expensive... just depends on what you are looking for.. price or farkles..

cosmic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts