GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Color me crazy but I am now deciding to wear protective gear. I live and ride mostly in North Carolina were the summer temps will hit 100 but normally not go over. I already own a Klem textile jacket for the cooler weather but have noted that the textile is extremely warm. I know to use Ldcomfort wear but when riding to work, I can not wet my clothing and go into work wet. My question is would a mesh jacket be OK to ride to the mountains in NC and stay reasonably cool? I am looking at the First Gear Mesh Tex jacket.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Mesh jackets are made of the same material, ballistic Nylon, but are just made in a mesh fashion. The ones I use are Joe Rocket. I have a Ballistic nylon jacket with zip off sleeves that keep the body armour in place but give a little extra breeze through the jacket and I have a full mesh jacket with the body armour but the jacket is all mesh and is quite cool when riding.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Mesh are great up to 93*...but work against you after that. Now in saying that...if you commute...mesh is fine....but riding all day with temps in mid 90's is were mesh is hotter! I switch to textile and wear a wicking base layer and carry water to soak it down. Then I zip up and use vents....I stay wet...and when air hits the inside of suit it's like a Blast of cool air!

Mesh will dry you out to fast at those temps and sweating will not keep you cool either and heat stroke will set in in time. Been there and do that! There is an article out there somewhere about mesh and temps. If I find it I will post it for you. It's a good article and it really help me understand why I was having such a hard time with the heat one year. It turns out it was my brand new mesh jacket I bought! The previous year I rode for 9 hours with temps hitting 106* that day! I was hot...but I did not stroke out that day!

When riding long distances at 90* an above the mesh caused us to over heat to the point we was stopping every 45 minutes to wet ourselves down! When we stopped for the day (only 6 hours of riding) we were both sick from heat! We both have rid'n longer on hotter days many times before we got mesh!

Mesh is great....but has a small window of comfort in which it can be used.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
[h=3]

Myth #2: Mesh gear will keep you cooler
[/h] To a degree, or should we say a few degrees, mesh gear will provide some relief from the heat. Up into the 80s for most people. But keep in mind that your thyroid is attempting to regulate your body temperature at 98.6 degrees. Riding into a wall of 90 degree plus air won't provide any cool options with which your thyroid can work with. At about 90 degrees or higher you'll need some skin surface moisture and some air. Lots of air and no skin surface moisture is a recipe for dehydration and sun stroke. But as you ride with mesh gear on your body, the air is quickly wicking away any moisture coming to the surface of the skin which will leave you dry and hot. Read on.

Not the article I was looking for...but you can get the picture.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
While the article likes an evaporative cooling vest under a full jacket, I use one under my mesh jacket in the hot temps. Yes it dries out faster with the mesh jacket as the article states wicking away moisture too fast. I find that it takes about 1.5 hrs to dry mine out behind the fairly large windshield on the Connie. I would imagine it taking that long on the Wing as well. These just don't get the same air flow as a sport bike. My nn-expert opinion the GL1800 will not be near as bad at wicking away moisture from the vest under a mesh jacket being behind that barn door, versus lets say a sport bike. -- For me 1.5hrs is break time anyways. Its not too hard to find a rest area, gas station, etc in this range. I/WE stop soak up the vests while soaking up a few drinks and a snack. Good for another 1hr. Wife and I have the cooling vests mentioned in the article from Sound Rider.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Myth #2: Mesh gear will keep you cooler

To a degree, or should we say a few degrees, mesh gear will provide some relief from the heat. Up into the 80s for most people. But keep in mind that your thyroid is attempting to regulate your body temperature at 98.6 degrees. Riding into a wall of 90 degree plus air won't provide any cool options with which your thyroid can work with. At about 90 degrees or higher you'll need some skin surface moisture and some air. Lots of air and no skin surface moisture is a recipe for dehydration and sun stroke. But as you ride with mesh gear on your body, the air is quickly wicking away any moisture coming to the surface of the skin which will leave you dry and hot. Read on.

Not the article I was looking for...but you can get the picture.
Thanks! Great article

·
Registered
25 Posts
This past week I just started using the LD comfort sleeves. This helps a lot and does not require changing any clothes since I wear short sleeves at work. i do not use a mesh jacket but do use a jacket with vents in the sleeves. As long as I am moving at least 35mph, I'm fine in 92F. Below 35mph, there is not enough airflow on the sleeves.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Color me crazy but I am now deciding to wear protective gear. I live and ride mostly in North Carolina were the summer temps will hit 100 but normally not go over. I already own a Klem textile jacket for the cooler weather but have noted that the textile is extremely warm. I know to use Ldcomfort wear but when riding to work, I can not wet my clothing and go into work wet. My question is would a mesh jacket be OK to ride to the mountains in NC and stay reasonably cool? I am looking at the First Gear Mesh Tex jacket.
I live in North Carolina and commute to and from work on my Gold Wing almost daily. My commute is about 1/2 hour each way. So far, I have never had a day where it was hot enough IN THE MORNING for me to need to wet my gear. In the afternoons this year, it has been up to 99. For the ride home, wetting just the sleeves of my mesh jacket works freaking awesome! The evaporation from the wet mesh is very fast making mesh LITERALLY COOLER than LDC and textile ... but only for the first 15 minutes.

The "benefit" of mesh is that the water evaporates very quickly, keeping you nice and cool--almost COLD.

The "problem" with mesh is that the water evaporates so quickly that after 30 minutes, most of the cooling effect is done.

So, if you are commuting HOME and don't mind being wet on the way HOME, mesh will work great. When I get home, I'm still cool and my jacket is almost dry. If you are TOURING and will be riding for hours, LDC and a textile jacket will probably work better for you.

:flg:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in North Carolina and commute to and from work on my Gold Wing almost daily. My commute is about 1/2 hour each way. So far, I have never had a day where it was hot enough IN THE MORNING for me to need to wet my gear. In the afternoons this year, it has been up to 99. For the ride home, wetting just the sleeves of my mesh jacket works freaking awesome! The evaporation from the wet mesh is very fast making mesh LITERALLY COOLER than LDC and textile ... but only for the first 15 minutes.

The "benefit" of mesh is that the water evaporates very quickly, keeping you nice and cool--almost COLD.

The "problem" with mesh is that the water evaporates so quickly that after 30 minutes, most of the cooling effect is done.

So, if you are commuting HOME and don't mind being wet on the way HOME, mesh will work great. When I get home, I'm still cool and my jacket is almost dry. If you are TOURING and will be riding for hours, LDC and a textile jacket will probably work better for you.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Even tried the evaporative cooling tee shirt before. Even under the mesh jacket and 110+ out and I froze my ass off for 10min and then hot again. Just too much air hitting the wet cotton right against your skin. Just sleeves as mentioned might be ok. Have not tried that with a long sleeve shirt. Interesting idea I will try this year. But I can say the soaked short sleeve cotton tee shirt, froze my ass off.

Personally for the 30min ride home I would not bother. I can make it 30min in 100+ weather. Its the long, 1/2 to full day rides I worry about.

The cooling vests are not that expensive and work well. Under a full jacket is best, but I find under a mesh jacket is still good for 1.5 hr range when behind a big huge windshield. Completely different on the little Ninja 250 I bought the wife few years ago when I tried to get her to ride. Any case takes about 5min to soak up a gallon of water. When first putting on the wet vest will get your shirt wet. Then put on jacket and go. The air hitting that wet vest, and not right against the skin. So I don't freeze and gets reasonable cooling that lasts for a good hour to 1.5hr. I am ready for a break by then anyway. I carry the vest in a large ziplock bag. I can swing into rest area or gas station, fill zip lock with water, get gas, drink something, eat a snack and the vest is ready. dump any excess water from ziplock and let excess water drip vest for 30sec and your back on the road. If just swinging into rest area 5-10min tops break.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I ordered the Klim Induction jacket in Hi-Viz from Revzilla. I already have the Klim Latitude jacket and really like that one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So what do guys who work in an office do? I have about a 30min commute and in the morning its fine. Riding home I sweat like crazy wearing a mesh jacket. Trying one of those cooling bandanas but its too little. My neck does stay cool for a little bit until the water evaporates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts