GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2007 Goldwing Trike, My wife and I are looking for some new jackets to match the Trike. We want ones that will work when it is chilly out and we can use during the summer too, rain proof would be great too.
Any recommendations would be appreciated....:p

A

Motorcycle riders are the only people who understand why dogs ride in vehicles with their head out the window

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I ride with a Joe Rocket Phenix. It has the removable liner. I would not ride without it. I took a bad spill on the BRP last July and did $7,500 damage to my Ultra Classic. I low sided and slid and rolled amost 100 ft. I did not have a scratch on me except where my jeans wore thru on my hip. I was standing up looking at the downed bike when my buddy came back to check on me. I have used this jacket down to about 40 degrees with a long sleeve shirt and was comfortable. When the temp is above 90 though it does get warm. There are lot of good mesh jackets out there that have a liner with them.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've had a bunch over the years and now only wear gear with CE armour. I really like my new Joe Rocket Phoenix 5. It also has a good back/spine protector and a wateproof zip out liner. What more could you ask for?
I wear this in temps over 80 but id does well early in the day (or late) when temps drop in the 50s.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/phoenix_5_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

For temps 50-80 I like the perforated leather (and better protecting) Cortech Air Magnum
The pics don't show it well but it has perforated holes all through it (mesh) and also has a zipout liner:
http://www.extrememoto.com/p/84-082/MAGNUM-AIR-JKT-BLACK?zmam=1000441-zmas=4-zmac=236-zmap=84-082P
Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've had Joe Rocket, Firstgear, and Tourmaster mesh jackets. all have good points, the Firstgear had the least protective armor, IMO, but it is replaceable with better stuff. The JR and TM have very good inner liners, the FG not so good. But you can wear any liner under any jacket. I now prefer to put a rain jacket OVER the mesh rather than wear a liner UNDER it when it gets chilly. As posted above, you can also wear heated liners under the mesh. Put a rain coat on top and you can ride into some pretty cold temps with that combo. In really hot weather, I wear a water soaked cooling vest underneath.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Joe Rocket Goldwing edition mesh jackets.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
+1 on the Joe Rocket Goldwing edition mesh jackets, as long as you don't mind a little Goldwing logo on the back.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
over the years mesh has become my main riding jacket

mine happens to b Firstgear with a removable waterproof linner and good armor, since i got used to wearing good armor i feel foolish without it

last June in Utah-Colorado i rode about 300 miles one day with the temp in the 30's , linner installed and a sweatshirt it was a little cool but i managed just fine

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I've been using Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh gear for 6 years. It makes me look a bit like a power ranger, but since I started wearing the gear:

I've taken 4 strokes off my golf game
Strangers high-five me as I'm walking down the sidewalk
Women want to get to know me
Beer tastes better
My daughter started dressing nicer and now asks for my advice
I've learned to play a banjo
I've lost 2 inches on my waist size and gained it in height
I bowled a 300 game
My 401K has only lost 40% in value over the last two years
My minister seeks my spiritual advice
Alternative energy sources are abundant
My car runs better
I've been able to switch from Amsoil to Rotella T Synth without negative impact
My crush washers last longer

I haven't had any ill effects from wearing mesh gear down to 50 degrees.

·
Registered
657 Posts
alter ego is the way to go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts