GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder. I was doing a pre-flight on the wing last night and discovered one of my rear pads was shot and had metal rubbing metal.

I had been hearing a strange rubbing noise the last couple of days and decided to pull the caliper and check it. A little odd though, I usually go through two sets of front pads for every one set of rear pads. I just changed the front approx. 1000 miles ago and didn't bother to look at the rear. My bad.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Metal on metal is not good.:eek:4:

I change my pads way before I get near metal.I'm hard enough on rotors as it is.:22yikes:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Whatcha say, Rocky? I didn't hear that....:popcorn:
that grinding noise drives out all the other noises.
thecruiser

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I'm sure you meant to make a point.:popcorn:
No, not really,...

Jut getten my post count up. :joke:

Rocky, your soooo serious all the time. :doorag:
thecruiser

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
No, not really,...

Jut getten my post count up. :joke:

Rocky, your soooo serious all the time. :doorag:
thecruiser
That's what you think.LOL
You have no idea how much I laugh at life or at what I read.LOL.

Life it to frig'n short not too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Just a reminder. I was doing a pre-flight on the wing last night and discovered one of my rear pads was shot and had metal rubbing metal.

I had been hearing a strange rubbing noise the last couple of days and decided to pull the caliper and check it. A little odd though, I usually go through two sets of front pads for every one set of rear pads. I just changed the front approx. 1000 miles ago and didn't bother to look at the rear. My bad.
Check the sliding pin on the rear caliper. Mine started grinding while in W.VA two weeks ago. When I got home and pulled the caliper apart I found the lube had dryed up on the sliding pin and wouldn't allow the caliper to move when applying the rear brake. That caused the piston side pad to wear to the metal, even though there was still a lot of pad on the oppisite side. Luckily I had a new disc from a trike take off, so a little grease and some new pads fixed mine right up. I can't complain, with 70k on it, it should have been checked a long time ago and since I'm the mechanic, I'm totally to blame.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
That's what you think.LOL
You have no idea how much I laugh at life or at what I read.LOL.

Life it to frig'n short not too.:thumbup:
I know, Rocky, that was 'tongue-in-cheek' also. (ouch)

I enjoy reading your posts.
thecruiser

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

I am putting you in timeout for one week for this!:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:
Thanks for the reminder Richard!:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts