GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to properly install my Gerbing connectors & SP III and want to have a clean installation. I want to remove the "top shelter", so I can route the wires & tie them where needed.

This being my first project with my '03, there are some procedures that are not clear.

I have the meter panel disconnected, but am "hung up" on the multi-display control switch 4P connector (pages 2-7 & 19-39 in the maintenance manual). Is there a secret to disconnecting it? There appears to be very little slack & I don't like to apply too much force.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you look at the connector you can see a release tab, it's towards the front if I remember correctly, you pry the tab OUT, not press in, to release. That has thrown a lot of people!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,
I just tried what you suggested & it took about 2 minutes (most finding the small screwdriver). You were right, the tab is to the front!

Man, when I think of the time & aggravation and you gave me an answer in 4 minutes :lol: .

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wingman26 said:
If you look at the connector you can see a release tab, it's towards the front if I remember correctly, you pry the tab OUT, not press in, to release. That has thrown a lot of people!
Thanks for that tip. I changed the dash on our wing to one of those carbon fiber looking ones and I must have fought with that connection for 2 hours. When I finally got it apart, I did not know what I did to make it release and I was wondering how I was ever going to get up the nerve to try it again. I printed your reply and will insert it in my manual. :wink:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Another trick (for those of us that have done this MANY TIMES) is to take a small file and file down the nub on the latch that holds it in place so well.
The connector will still work fine, it'll just be easier to get off the next time you need it to come off.

·
Registered
20,941 Posts
At first I was kind of hesitant to file off that little nub but was agrivated with the frustration of getting it to release so eventually filed it off and have never missed it. Now instead of useing flashlite,glasses,screwdriver and bad vocabulary just reach under with one hand and unplug it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The first time I took that panel off, I fought that connector for 30 minutes, I could see the tab, and I'd been pressing it...what more could you do?

So I thought about it, I'd been pressing it, I wonder what would happen if I pried it out? Only took a few seconds, when I got it out I looked at it, sure enough, you pry it out! Easy as pie, only takes a few seconds once you know the trick. :)

IMHO removing that tab is a bad idea, eventually that will probably cause some problems.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Man that connector is a PAIN!!

I pulled one of the wires out of the connector the first time I tried to get it loose.

As always, Jon is the smart guy! I will be doing that next time I take that off. THANKS JON!! :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I guess there might be an issue with removing the nub (as far as the connector coming loose on its own), but one half of the connector is rigidly mounted to the bike, and the other half of the connector terminates on the meter assembly itself, so it's not moving until you pull the meter panel.

Even if it were to come loose on its own, all you would loose is the ability to change the LCD display by pushing the buttons. How many of us have put the meter panel assembly back together and forgotten to put the connector back together and didn't notice it until they pushed the button? :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I believe the idea is to file the sharp point off the nub/catch so that it still provides friction and prevents an accidentil disconnection but allows a person to simply pull the plug loose without using the screwdriver, flashlight, and two-hand method. I thought about doing the mod myself the last time I removed my shelter. My plan was to leave the catch looking something like this ^ instead of having the factory 90 degree angle.

·
Registered
20,941 Posts
there is PLENTY of friction in that plug to hold it together without the nub. I have put on more than 60,000 miles since removing the nub and the only effect it has had is it is easy to disconnect when needed without any fuss. I filed the nub off completely but if I were doing it over might consider leaving some of it there so that it would be a little easier by feel to tell which way the plugs fit together. If Honda would have left 3 more inches of slack in the wire we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i had trouble also because my hands are kinda large for bike fixin. i tried to crawl inside as much as possible and look at it.

pretty simple if i were much smaller

loren

1 - 15 of 15 Posts