GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two white Aria helmets, one 3/4 classic M and one full face closed face Prelude. Both fit very good.

I started wearing the 3/4 face 100% of the time 2 1/2 years, and like it when playing my music and in hot weather.
Then last summer, I bought a full face for additional protection and wear it 10% of the time trying to wean myself to wear the full-face 100%.

Besides throwing the open face helmet away, or wearing the full face helmet during sex, :shock: ,how do I make the transition, and get my money's worth from the full face?

The full face cost big $, and wife always ask why I'm not wearing the new full face helmet............ :oops:

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's kind of like that old Bell helmet advertisement

only "What is your face worth" :duck: :idea:
Mine was easy because all I have every wore was a full face. I believe in them.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Just before you put on either helmet.....picture yourself drinking your dinner thru a straw with your jaw wired shut and your face all brusied up (at best). I'm sorry.... that's morbid......and I mean no disrespect......but you asked for help!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Everyone has a different acceptable level of risk. Some will ride at triple digits in shorts, t shirt, and sandels; others won't even get near a motorcycle. You (and your loved ones) have to figure out where you fit on that scale...

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hey Mike I fit into this catagory as well. It seems I find myself wearing the 3/4 when I ride with the group but use the full face when alone.

Maybe we just need to adopt the old slogan of just do it!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
That is very simple and some of the others have been on the right track. You either see someone who had worn a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and had their face badly scared and damaged from the road or other impact of an accident

or

you see a badly scarred full face or flip helmet that has undergone a serious accident and imagine what it would have been like for them (you) if they (you) had only been wearing a 1/2 or 3/4 helmets in the same accident.

It's not rocket science and you'll get the point pretty quickly if you can visualize the situation for you and/or an important passenger. I myself have a couple of very nice and relatively new 1/2 helmets and also a couple of 3/4 helmets (along with some headsets) in my garage that I retired a few years back too. I don't use them and I don't let passengers use them.

DaleC

P.S. We have a badly scarred and scaped full face helmet we use in our MSF classroom presentation that shows some of that convincing from a range class where another student fell on their motorcycle at less than 20 MPH. Fortunately, the student wasn't hurt and was able to continue the class, but their is no way they would have gone anywhere but the hospital if they had been wearing a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet with that fall and subsequent abrasion to their own face. It was scaped pretty badly in the face and chin area.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not going to "press" my own attitudes upon you. Why would you want to know my about my determination for always wearing a full face helmet. Yes, I do feel that way but you don't really want to know that.

I'm responding only because it occurs to me that the full face helmet was purchased for some type of reason, or perhaps multiple reasons. My inclination is to think that your wife's comments are stated as a question, but in reality are more than likely some sort of statement. I'd guess that she is really saying: "Why don't you wear the expensive new helmet that is more in line with what I want you to be wearing." (i.e. the full face offers more protection) The bottom line is this; the new helmet was purchased for some reason. Refocus upon that reason, and see if the transition becomes easier because of that adjusted thinking. I'm just thinking out loud.....

Metric4me

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
k7lvo said:
Everyone has a different acceptable level of risk. Some will ride at triple digits in shorts, t shirt, and sandels; others won't even get near a motorcycle. You (and your loved ones) have to figure out where you fit on that scale...
This response reflects my opinions exactly. I have owned and worn full face helmets but cannot tolerate re-breathing my own exhaled breath. It is NOT a case of claustrophobia as it does not panic me. Also, riding in the desert heat causes some serious heat build up in a full face helmet that a 3/4 face helmet alieviates.

Although I have taught the MSF course and I understand the different level of protection that the three styles of helmets provide, I still opt to wear the 3/4 face and will accept the consequences.

Now that I have wittled away at your resolve to switch to a full face helmet,
WEAR YOUR FULL FACE HELMET YOU IDIOT!

Did that help? :wink:

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
I have always worn a full face. But recently have thought about getting a 3/4 for comfort from the heat etc... But having read some of the above. I will stick with the full face. It works for me. Wear what makes you happy, but wear a helmet. :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
While we are on the subject of helmets, how many of U

don't wear a helmet just to go get a pack of cigs or fill up the bike at the local gas station?
I had a buddy do the cig trick yrs ago with a helmet on but didn't wear any leather.
I had to take him to the hospital and watch them use the ole steel wire brush to scrap the road rash out of his skin :shock: A cage crash into him (not his fault).
I like the phrase "not preaching". We all are big boys and girls but reading stories like what is posted hear makes you say hummmmmmm :idea:

·
Chard Member
13,218 Posts
If you're more comfortable in a 3/4, chances are you will be a better rider in a 3/4 reducing your chances of a accident.

I've tried for years to learn to ride with a FF. Can't and won't do it. I won't dress like a Power Ranger when I ride either. LMAO.... We each know how much risk we are willing to take.

Again, the safest thing to do is sell the bike and stay inside the house. :wink:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
My brother in law convinced me to start wearing face protection years ago when he spilled a CB750.

He healed up pretty well, too. But some of the skin on his face came from his other parts of his body........

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Wow.......
If IR Harry's note doesn't make it clear why you should be wearing a full face, then nothing will.

"My brother in law convinced me to start wearing face protection years ago when he spilled a CB750.

He healed up pretty well, too. But some of the skin on his face came from his other parts of his body........".

To which I say.............
JUST DO IT.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have worn a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet for that past number of years. I bought a full face Arai the beginning of last year and was not sure I could get used to it.
Especially because of the price I put my other helmets away and wore only the full face. It did not take long for me to get used to it to the point that I was going to take a short 10 minute run up the road and wore my 3/4, and could not wait to get back and put my full face back on. I felt exposed after getting used to the full face.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have tried the FF helmet, my problem is I can't find one that fits my big head. I have a flip front HJC but when I close it my face is practically touching the shield to the point that even in the summer my breath fogs up the shield. I also haven't found one that has the ear holes that I can mount my speakers in, I had them in my HJC but I had to cut the foam and I can't move the speakers around to find the best sound. So for now I just wear my 3/4 helmet.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
White Gold, that fit is a real problem with the flip front helmets. I started with a Zeus, then got a Vega, next was a Nolan N100, currently is a HJC SyMax. And I have the same face shape you apparently do - I could not even get a Syncrotec closed without both my nose and chin touching the interior. Same was true with the HJC CL-Max, but the Sy Max just clears enough to get a mic inside, and the vents were a little more effective.

Of all the flip helmets I have tried, the one with the best fit was the Vega. I also liked the pockets that you could put the speakers inside of. But I did not like the noise or the latch that kept sticking. I am not totally satisfied with any flips as of yet, but to date the SyMax has been the best compromise for me. I also have an old Shoei full face, fits great, quiet, all the things I like, but am not willing to give up the convenience of the flip front.

So, good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
IR Harry said:
White Gold, that fit is a real problem with the flip front helmets. I started with a Zeus, then got a Vega, next was a Nolan N100, currently is a HJC SyMax. And I have the same face shape you apparently do - I could not even get a Syncrotec closed without both my nose and chin touching the interior. Same was true with the HJC CL-Max, but the Sy Max just clears enough to get a mic inside, and the vents were a little more effective.

Of all the flip helmets I have tried, the one with the best fit was the Vega. I also liked the pockets that you could put the speakers inside of. But I did not like the noise or the latch that kept sticking. I am not totally satisfied with any flips as of yet, but to date the SyMax has been the best compromise for me. I also have an old Shoei full face, fits great, quiet, all the things I like, but am not willing to give up the convenience of the flip front.

So, good luck on your search.
I have a Symax in the shop, it fit fair but didn't have space for the speakers like my 3/4.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quickest way to get used to the FF is to put the 3/4 in a spot that is not easy to get to. I always wore a FF but when I got my first chromed cruiser (was trying to be part of the crowd). I went to a shorty helmet. Talk about feeling exposed! Had to wear it though as it was part of the costume. Sold that bike and the next one was an open pipe custom. I went back to the FF cuz the d*mn pipes were too loud. I was the only one entering custom bike shows wearing FF. :D Haven't looked at the other helmets I own since. Once you wear it enough, you'll feel naked without it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.