GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Canuck
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Metzeler 888 front tire does not have a groove in the center of the tire tread, like the Bridgestone 709 and Dunlop E4. Can anybody familiar with the Metz share their thoughts on this front tire? I like my E4's, but find the front tire to be a bit squirrely when riding across tar snakes. (I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OTHER TIRE COMMENTS. NO DARKSIDE, NO BEST TIRE. JUST THE QUESTION ASKED.)

TIA.
Metzeler 888.png
Bridgestone 709.png
Dunlop E4.jpg

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've used the 888 for a number of years and like them. I can't really compare them to other tires because it's all I've ever used. Back in the 80's I started using the Metz 88 and really liked them, so when I purchased my '08 in '12 (I think) the seller wanted to put new tires on it, so I asked for the Metz. Then when I purchased my '12 in '17, the same thing happened. I just replaced it a couple of months ago with another one (not because of mileage, but because of an incident that bent the front wheel and destroyed the tire).

I used them front and rear until last fall when I went DS for the rear.

·
Canuck
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used the 888 for a number of years and like them. I can't really compare them to other tires because it's all I've ever used. Back in the 80's I started using the Metz 88 and really liked them, so when I purchased my '08 in '12 (I think) the seller wanted to put new tires on it, so I asked for the Metz. Then when I purchased my '12 in '17, the same thing happened. I just replaced it a couple of months ago with another one (not because of mileage, but because of an incident that bent the front wheel and destroyed the tire).

I used them front and rear until last fall when I went DS for the rear.
Great info. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Circumferential grooves help the tyre run straighter. Plus it's an obvious water drainage groove.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
The Metzeler 888 front tire does not have a groove in the center of the tire tread, like the Bridgestone 709 and Dunlop E4. Can anybody familiar with the Metz share their thoughts on this front tire? I like my E4's, but find the front tire to be a bit squirrely when riding across tar snakes. (I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OTHER TIRE COMMENTS. NO DARKSIDE, NO BEST TIRE. JUST THE QUESTION ASKED.)

TIA.
View attachment 365595 View attachment 365596 View attachment 365597
Yes.

prs

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Loved the Metz 880's on Valkyrie so was excited when "Triple 8's" came out for Wing.
Tried one on front... hated it! Way too slippery in all riding conditions. Third time it almost dumped me, parked bike and waited for B'stone delivery. Wouldn't mount another one. 2¢ worth;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have been using the *** for a couple of years since they stopped the 880.
I LOVED the 880 and Like the 888.
Mixed with a darkside rear the Metzler tracks Great, holds tight on wet ground and in pouring rain. It can be a little tough to see wear bars coming up so I have sometimes changed them a bit too soon.The reason for my downgrade on the 888 They don't wear a long as the 880 but they wear better than the Stones.(I hate Dunlop)
I tend to ride hard and push the corners, ride 2 up about 30 % of the time.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
778 Posts
I ran Bridgestones on 3 previous gl1800s and really liked them. I just bought an 08 with nearly new Metzlers and don't like them as much as the stones because they don't seem as "planted" to me. Another person mentioned the Stones wear out quicker so I'm guessing they might be a softer compound. When my Metzler's wear out I'm putting Bridgestone G709 and G704's back on.

·
Registered
672 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I'm a believer that tread patterns do not matter. If they mattered, testing would ultimately show to the manufacturers a specific pattern that worked the best and all patterns would gravitate towards that particular pattern. That's why you see so many patterns... they are all effective. The main reason you see so many different patterns I suspect is they want the tire to have a unique look. If all tires had the exact same pattern, none would visibly stand out, and, well, having a cool looking tire is part of marketing.

Motorcycle tires all are round, and have a particular convex shape... that matters. That's why they all look the same from that standpoint... they are not flat, square like a car tire, don't look like a tractor tire, don't look like a trailer tire etc. But the tread, they're all effective for all practical purposes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had two sets of the 888. Prior to that I had one set of the Stones. Since then I have had the Dunlop E-4 and now am running the Avon Cobra Chrome with 8k on them. As comparisons go they all lasted @ 12.5k. I thought the Mettzlers and the Stones were the best, the Dunlops I did not like....and the jury is still out on the Avons. If they last at least 12.5k, I may get them again. The Mettzlers did get loud towards the end of their life but they handled fine. Oh yeah, I have an F6B and I ride one up 95% of the time.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I shared on here how loud the triple eights were when first released. Been an 880 er for a couple of decades and could not have been more pleased. The triple eights on the 1800 are just loud and I’ve adjusted to it. I’ve been all over the place with them, both coasts, heavy rain (as in rode through a severe thunderstorm with standing water on the interstate-heavy, wind was so bad that I rode the dotted line of both lanes to compensate for the wind). They work for me, no matter what everyone says bad about them. It doesn’t matter what bike or tire you have we all check up in the curve with tar-snakes. Every bike on the charity run did, that’s 40+ bikes all talking about the same curve, and how they almost lost it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Paul, I think tar snakes are slippery no matter what you have on the bike. The snakes don't have a rough surface for traction like the normal black top. You will find that really wide painted cross walks are the same as tar snakes unless they sprinkled sand into the paint. That is what the road repair crew should be doing with laying down tar snakes. I once complained the a base Civil Engineer Commander about that and found that he instructed his road guys to redo a bunch of cross walks and any tar snakes on his AF base.

·
Canuck
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paul, I think tar snakes are slippery no matter what you have on the bike. The snakes don't have a rough surface for traction like the normal black top. You will find that really wide painted cross walks are the same as tar snakes unless they sprinkled sand into the paint. That is what the road repair crew should be doing with laying down tar snakes. I once complained the a base Civil Engineer Commander about that and found that he instructed his road guys to redo a bunch of cross walks and any tar snakes on his AF base.
Yeah, makes sense. I felt the E4's were particularly susceptible to tar snakes. But for sure they can be slippery.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
For me, tread design on the front tire will make or break a tire. I will NOT use a front tire with a center grove because of how they track rain grooves and iron grate draw bridges (I cross several in some rides). As such, ME880's are the tires I loved, but ME888's are what I use almost exclusively. I have tried others as long as they do not have a tread design I will not touch for the front. I liked the 880's over the 888's because I have some issues with the harder compound in the center of the tire on the front because I still wear out the left side long before the center.

For tar snakes.... There is not a tire on the planet that will not have them feel like the slipperiest substance on there is on a hot day. The ironic part of that is that they are not "slick" they are very sticky and extremely stretchy. It is that stretch that makes it feel and act like it is very slick. As the tire hits it, it stretches and rolls onto an un-stretched part as fast as it stretches and that "new" part of the tar stretches letting the tire move out even more. In the end, actually slick or sticky and stretchy does not make much of any difference, the risk of a wipe-out and the appearance of dark spots on undies may still occur.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts