GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A search of this forum didn't show anything on this particular tyre. Apologies if previously posted. I'm going to give them a try. Cheers

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Not the Metzeller's I was expecting, but the write-up and the pictures still support the likelihood that these may be the tires I get for my 2018 as soon as they are available. I currently have an ME888 on the front but there is no Metzeller for the rear.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
BSTONES

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
It's hard to beat the Bridgestones....great rain tires and quiet in the curves...I run the G709 on the front with my 2018

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
It's hard to beat the Bridgestones....great rain tires and quiet in the curves...I run the G709 on the front with my 2018
Except for mileage... I have a set of Bridgestones on the bike right now that only have 3K miles on them, and the rear tire is less than a millimeter from the wear bar already. I'll be lucky if I can get 4,500 miles out of the rear, and I've been taking it easy on them too.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Except for mileage... I have a set of Bridgestones on the bike right now that only have 3K miles on them, and the rear tire is less than a millimeter from the wear bar already. I'll be lucky if I can get 4,500 miles out of the rear, and I've been taking it easy on them too.
You must have some rough roads where you live...I got 11k out of the stock rear Bridgestone...front OEM Bridgestone was replaced too. I would get 15k miles from the front G709 with my old wing...so Im trying the G709 on my 2018 to see it it does better than the OEM Bridgestone did....cant really beat the G709 on the front.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It would be nice when promoting brand/tires to also provide links to actual vendors that offer such tires for sale in USA! :confused:
As far as I can see, the correct tire size for the rear (2018+ GL) is not currently available for sale in USA. Please correct me if I am wrong ;)

In fact https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/home doesn't even list the 2018+ GL as today!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Reading on another GFL forum the Metzelers are getting very good reviews, a lot of folks have had issues with them delaminating, some pretty frightening pictures of chunks missing from the tread area. There were similar issues with Metzelers when used on the Yamaha Venture, back when I had mine, most folks thought it was due to the weight of the bike, Metzeler always blamed the owners on improper inflation. Metzeler recommended a high cold static pressure than Yamaha did for the OEM tires, so many were running them a few pounds low without realizing it. I always liked the Metzelers when I had them on my 98 Royal Star Tour Classic, good grip and good mileage, but with all the folks running into issues on the Venture with them, I stayed away from them. If weight is the issue, I can only surmise that the Goldwing would have the same issues, unless they designed a tire specifically for the weight of a GL.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Not the Metzeller's I was expecting, but the write-up and the pictures still support the likelihood that these may be the tires I get for my 2018 as soon as they are available. I currently have an ME888 on the front but there is no Metzeller for the rear.
I run the 888 180/60 on the rear as well as on the front on my 2018, the only difference it seems a little easier to handle

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Reading on another GFL forum the Metzelers are getting very good reviews, a lot of folks have had issues with them delaminating, some pretty frightening pictures of chunks missing from the tread area. There were similar issues with Metzelers when used on the Yamaha Venture, back when I had mine, most folks thought it was due to the weight of the bike, Metzeler always blamed the owners on improper inflation. Metzeler recommended a high cold static pressure than Yamaha did for the OEM tires, so many were running them a few pounds low without realizing it. I always liked the Metzelers when I had them on my 98 Royal Star Tour Classic, good grip and good mileage, but with all the folks running into issues on the Venture with them, I stayed away from them. If weight is the issue, I can only surmise that the Goldwing would have the same issues, unless they designed a tire specifically for the weight of a GL.
Metzeler makes a special tire for the Gold Wing that has extra belts in the carcass to handle the additional load. I don't know if they have homologated this new Cruisetec tire for the new generation Wing, but I would suspect that if they do that they will again make a specific model for it with a stiffer carcass.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Metzeler makes a special tire for the Gold Wing that has extra belts in the carcass to handle the additional load. I don't know if they have homologated this new Cruisetec tire for the Wing, but I would suspect that if they do that they will again make a specific model for it with a stiffer carcass.
Well that would certainly be a good thing, I will be watching to see if they become available, the write up had a lot of good things to say about the Cruisetec tires.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The article in the link indicates that the tires are in development and testing phase. So, they are not really available anywhere yet. They also called out the 2018-20 Goldwing as a bike they are making these tires for. So, that tells me that the size will be the correct size front and rear as defined by Honda. I just hope they are available by the time I need a new rear.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hopefully before I need another pair of tires there will be a few reports on the Shinko tires for the 2018+. I used them on my GL15 with good results.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Hopefully before I need another pair of tires there will be a few reports on the Shinko tires for the 2018+. I used them on my GL15 with good results.
I'm not a fan of Shinko tires. They don't have a good reputation, I'd tread cautiously.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm not a fan of Shinko tires. They don't have a good reputation, I'd tread cautiously.
"tread cautiously" LOL!!! Pun intended??

I understand what you're saying, hence the reason I said hopefully there will be a few reports on them. I used them when they were Cheng Shin as well as when they were Shinko. Never a problem. In 240,000 miles on my GL15, the ONLY tire issue I had was a front Dunlop 491 Elite 3. Had belt separation once. On that bike I used Dunlop 177s, 491s, Avon, Metzler, Michelin radials for the short time they were available and the Cheng Shin & Shinkos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I must admit I assumed the tyres were available for the current Goldwing, based on the review and the pretty picture of a current Goldwing having some fun in a corner. My dealership, which is owned by the Australian importer of Metzeler tyres, says they should be here by mid 2020. However, I'd be surprised if we got them before the USA and Europe (we're a comparatively small market).Time will tell. If we do get them first I'll let you know what I think of them.

I'm not too disappointed by the delay. I'm on my second set of Bridgestones and am quite happy with them. I prefer them over the Dunlops the bike came with. The Bridgestones seems to corner a little more easily and the front doesn't scallop as much. I'm hoping the sportier profile of the Metzelers will make cornering even easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts