GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this may be my next front tire. What do you guys think? Looks like the buzz would be almost eliminated. Being a rear it may have a little more tread depth. I've got around 12K on my Demon with still plenty to go. However, still have to be vigilant to seek out any improvements that can be found... Cheers...:doorag:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6123/ITEM/Metzeler-Lasertec-Bias-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

Metzeler
Lasertec Bias Sport Touring Rear Tire
$117.99 - $147.99

Lowest Price Guarantee
MSRP $174.95-219.95

Customer Rating:

Choose Size 130/90V-16 - -- - $122.99 150/80VB-16 - -- - $134.99 130/70H-17 - -- - $121.99 130/90V-17 - -- - $124.99 140/80VB-17 - -- - $127.99 150/70V-17 - -- - $130.99 160/70VB-17 - -- - $147.99 130/80H-17 - -- - $117.99 4.00V-18 - -- - $123.99 120/90V-18 - -- - $126.99 130/70H-18 - -- - $119.99 130/80V-18 - -- - $130.99

Metzeler
$117.99 - $147.99

Product Description

Metzeler Lasertec Bias Sport Touring Rear Tire
  • Proven tread patterns for all-weather riding
  • Tread pattern design provides excellent water drainage that reduces hydroplaning, enhancing wet performance for safe riding in all weather conditions
  • New compounds ensure higher braking performance on both wet and dry surfaces
  • Classic tread pattern is designed to prevent irregular wear and cupping
  • Multi-Radius Contour Design is tuned specifically for the bias-tire touring segment and provides radial-type handling
  • High silica content of the new compounds helps provide outstanding grip in all weather conditions and reduces rolling resistance to improve mileage

Speed Ratings:
  • H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph
  • V-rated for speeds up to 149 mph
Tire Shipping Information

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The Lasertech is known on the BMW sites for being very sticky and having low tread life.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Lasertech is known on the BMW sites for being very sticky and having low tread life.
I'd be curious to know if the same would apply with a rear being on the front. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
I think this may be my next front tire. What do you guys think? Looks like the buzz would be almost eliminated. Being a rear it may have a little more tread depth. I've got around 12K on my Demon with still plenty to go. However, still have to be vigilant to seek out any improvements that can be found... Cheers...:doorag:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6123/ITEM/Metzeler-Lasertec-Bias-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

Metzeler
$117.99 - $147.99

Lowest Price Guarantee
MSRP $174.95-219.95

Customer Rating:

Choose Size 130/90V-16 - -- - $122.99 150/80VB-16 - -- - $134.99 130/70H-17 - -- - $121.99 130/90V-17 - -- - $124.99 140/80VB-17 - -- - $127.99 150/70V-17 - -- - $130.99 160/70VB-17 - -- - $147.99 130/80H-17 - -- - $117.99 4.00V-18 - -- - $123.99 120/90V-18 - -- - $126.99 130/70H-18 - -- - $119.99 130/80V-18 - -- - $130.99

Metzeler
$117.99 - $147.99

Product Description

Metzeler Lasertec Bias Sport Touring Rear Tire
  • Proven tread patterns for all-weather riding
  • Tread pattern design provides excellent water drainage that reduces hydroplaning, enhancing wet performance for safe riding in all weather conditions
  • New compounds ensure higher braking performance on both wet and dry surfaces
  • Classic tread pattern is designed to prevent irregular wear and cupping
  • Multi-Radius Contour Design is tuned specifically for the bias-tire touring segment and provides radial-type handling
  • High silica content of the new compounds helps provide outstanding grip in all weather conditions and reduces rolling resistance to improve mileage

Speed Ratings:
  • H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph
  • V-rated for speeds up to 149 mph
Tire Shipping Information

The lasertec bias sport touring rear tire was OEM on my 91 ST1100. As I recall, got about 8k miles out of it. Handled well with good grip.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was looking at this tire a couple of months ago. I believe several on the Trike board are using it as their front tire.

I ended up dropping the idea due to the poor mileage ratings. Otherwise, looks like a nice tire.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mounted the Lasertec and took a quick ride up the road. This tire could be the only tire I run on the front from here on out. This baby is smooth as glass at all speeds including the dreaded 40-50 mph range where the buzz is the most prevalent. This could very well be the... listen for it... The "Holy Grail" of fronts for the Dark side. This tire is outstanding and if it gives decent miles it will be a keeper. Check the tread, you will see that it is continuous and unbroken which gives the smooth ride.

To recap. I ran the Bax 16300 miles. I just took the Demon off at just under 16k.. Both were good tires but had the buzz between 40 and 50 mph. Seems the Lasertec may be the tire to get....Cheers....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks for the report. Now, let's see how well it holds up. When you get a chance, try some emergency stops with it. I'd like to know how easy, or hard, it is to lock up.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:thumbup:

Keep us updated Stick.

I always read what ya post mainly because of yer lack of gibberish and just the facts. I like to spend my $$$ on things that are at least in the ballpark of what will safely work for me. :cool:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats it... The bloom is off the rose and the Lasertec is off the bike..... at 16K miles.. Darn good tire. A fresh one is on.... The tire is smooth at any speed with no buzz in the handlebars.. Very pleased with it's performance.... Cheers.......:doorag:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Stick for reference when you where running MT's ,how many miles could you get out of them ?.I ask because I ran other metzelers on other bikes & they wore somewhat fast for me.They all stuck fairly good although& rode awesome smooth fo mt's. Want or need new front by spring just doin my footwork.Thx

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stick for reference when you where running MT's ,how many miles could you get out of them ?.I ask because I ran other metzelers on other bikes & they wore somewhat fast for me.They all stuck fairly good although& rode awesome smooth fo mt's. Want or need new front by spring just doin my footwork.Thx

I don't have any idea the miles I ran on regular MC tires. bout the same as anyone else, mostly not good. I have done 100K in four years mostly on car tires. The bike came with the stock Dunlop on the front, I cant remember anything about that. The last regular MC tire on the front was a 709 and I'm sure I got whatever is average for miles...It's been too long ago. I've had 2 Baxs' and one Demon neither of which impressed me..... The Lasertec application being on the front instead of the back makes for a whole different set of miles. It has not had good mileage reports on the back, however, on the front it performed flawlessly including no buzz.... Cheers.....:doorag:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Thats it... The bloom is off the rose and the Lasertec is off the bike..... at 16K miles.. Darn good tire. A fresh one is on.... The tire is smooth at any speed with no buzz in the handlebars.. Very pleased with it's performance.... Cheers.......:doorag:
Stick, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does it the Lasertec give the extremely heavy feel of the Sport Demon or how does it compare?

2. I wiped out my front fender with a Sport Demon. Would I need to be careful about that with the Lasertec?

3. Any other info?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stick, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does it the Lasertec give the extremely heavy feel of the Sport Demon or how does it compare?

2. I wiped out my front fender with a Sport Demon. Would I need to be careful about that with the Lasertec?

3. Any other info?

Thanks a lot.
I had no issues with clearance on the Demon. I know some have, and had to do the clearance fix that has been illustrated somewhere on the DS forum.. The Demon performed well accept for the buzz, and had good miles. I figured there had to be a better tire. Any tire with interrupted tread pattern will give buzz. The LT has a continuous tread patten, so is smooth right thru the speed range..

The new tire is super light in the steering because it's a nice round tire. My old Lasertec became quite heavy as it wore out. When the sides start to feather and the tire takes on a "V" shape then the tire becomes unresponsive to steering inputs as the feathered sides sit flat on the road surface in the turns. This is common on any front tire..... Cheers....:doorag:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I had no issues with clearance on the Demon. I know some have, and had to do the clearance fix that has been illustrated somewhere on the DS forum.. The Demon performed well accept for the buzz, and had good miles. I figured there had to be a better tire. Any tire with interrupted tread pattern will give buzz. The LT has a continuous tread patten, so is smooth right thru the speed range..

The new tire is super light in the steering because it's a nice round tire. My old Lasertec became quite heavy as it wore out. When the sides start to feather and the tire takes on a "V" shape then the tire becomes unresponsive to steering inputs as the feathered sides sit flat on the road surface in the turns. This is common on any front tire..... Cheers....:doorag:
Thanks for your thoughts. :thumbup: Maybe I will try the LT.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it time to bump this thread..... I'm on my third Lasertec and will have no other.... I'm so narrow minded on this I write all my letters home on toilet paper :wrong:..........Cheers.....:doorag:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I think it time to bump this thread..... I'm on my third Lasertec and will have no other.... I'm so narrow minded on this I write all my letters home on toilet paper :wrong:..........Cheers.....:doorag:
Stick you're sick my friend,I feel bad for you seeing the only twistys you get to ride are clover leafs out there in Kansas.ohhh :wrong:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Metzler Lasertec Bias Sport

I went Double Darkside today. Mounted Metz Lasertec & rode down the block. I like the look of the deep tread on front. May take a longer ride this evening.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stick, did you have the lasertec mounted forward or in reverse and do you know if their is really any difference which way it's mounted? I have the lasertec mounted in reverse on my bike only because the installer recommended that at the time. It does make some noise in the curves.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts